Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Thinking about a change.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Mozzytheboy
Mozzytheboy e2 Member 3550 forum postsMozzytheboy vcard United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
4 Dec 2012 - 7:47 PM

With your help and patience I upgraded my Canon 500D stock lens for a second-hand 17-85mm Canon lens which I got via the classic-frys around about a year to 18 months back. I have enjoyed the lens and yes you were quite right, it has been my main-stay for most of the time. I have the 55-250 again canon which is quite a remarkable lens (even makes some of my own images look good), once more with your advice I went for a Sigma Mahoosive thing which is great for long distances. I also again on advice (see, I do listen) got myself a nifty fifty which I must be honest I have yet to master.

So I was wondering if anything exists that would be a good solid replacement / upgrade to my Canon 17-85, for everyday usage?

Can you make any recommendations per-lease?

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
4 Dec 2012 - 7:47 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

steve_p
steve_p  81094 forum posts England
4 Dec 2012 - 8:18 PM

I went from the 17-85 to the Sigma 17-70, which was an improvement. However I was offered a Canon 15-85 which is a huge improvement. If you can get one within your budget I can recommend it!
Steve

Last Modified By steve_p at 4 Dec 2012 - 8:19 PM Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
Mozzytheboy
Mozzytheboy e2 Member 3550 forum postsMozzytheboy vcard United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
4 Dec 2012 - 9:39 PM

Interesting you mention another make of lens Steve. Is there currently anything available from either Sigma or Tamron that is worthy of consideration compared to your earlier suggestion of a 15-85 Canon? Just thinking out loud reallySmile

Mozzytheboy
4 Dec 2012 - 9:55 PM

Crikey the 15-85 varies in price by a huge amount. Cheapest is £429 dearest £799! Crikey Moses what a spread.

robthecamman
4 Dec 2012 - 11:22 PM

consider a second hand lens

robthecamman
5 Dec 2012 - 10:12 AM

type secondhandcameras in google look through ice group lenses

Mozzytheboy
5 Dec 2012 - 10:29 AM

I've actually got a mint 150-500 Sigma that I have only used about three times. I'm wondering if I sell that and my existing 17-85 that would give me a good wedge to spend on a good everyday lens. I have the 55-250 which is reasonable. I'll check this 'ice group' lenses now.

robthecamman
5 Dec 2012 - 11:44 AM

as you say decisions decisions Smile

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53544 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
5 Dec 2012 - 12:47 PM

I went from the 17-85 to the Canon 24-105 F4 lens - an excellent upgrade for me, but at a price. I also considered the 24-70mm F2.8 as at the time it was similar in price.
For studio stuff the 24-70 would probably have been better, but the 24-105 is a fab walk around lens.

For some of my best sharpest shots the nifty 50 get used, stopped down a bit to say f8.
There is a new sigma 30mm f1.4 prime being released at them moment, when the price comes down on this I'll look more.

Whether is bonsai trees or people i love sharp detailed photo's with primes.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
Mozzytheboy
5 Dec 2012 - 4:47 PM

Thanks Jack. My wife has insisted I hang on to my Sigma 150-500 and make other arrangements to pay for a replacement lens that will directly replace my 17-85 Bless her Smile

That 24-105 is mighty interesting. I need to work out why I can't get the nifty to give me razor sharp images. But for now between Tamron Sigma and Canon it is a replacement for said 17-85. Right now I'm torn. Oh boy, too much choice.

steve_p
5 Dec 2012 - 6:53 PM

I rented a 24-105 for a few days to see if was "wide" enough on a crop camera. I found it was OK but preferred the range available on my 17-85 as I do landscapes as my main interest. This is why I finally settled on the 15-85.
With the 50mm when it's wide open at f1.8 it is very difficult to get sharp shots because of the limited depth of field. You do need to stop down as Jack says. Then you need a tripod!
Have a look at MPB photographic to see what they have- I have bought and sold with them and had superb service.

Mozzytheboy
5 Dec 2012 - 7:05 PM

Off for a look Steve Smile

Mozzytheboy
6 Dec 2012 - 7:04 PM

I'm sorry to trouble you further, but I have had a PM recommending this lens. Tamron 18-270mm f3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD I asked if it was OK to share the recommendation and this I'd like to see what my peers think. It is a good quality everyday lens to replace my 17-85 Canon. Clearly I would not need my canon 55-250 or indeed the current 17-85. Reveiw wise it seems to collect very very good reviews. I suppose I could try one at Jessops and then process images taken in store and see what they look like. There is nowhere here I can rent one sadly to try.

I'd virtually decided to go with a Canon 15-85. This does answer a lot for me. I thought I'd check first though.

Mozzy

steve_p
6 Dec 2012 - 7:34 PM

Hi Mozzy,
What you need to take in to account is that any lens( not just Tamron) with a large zoom range is that they are something of a compromise. You will find that at each end of the zoom that sharpness will drop off quite badly and that distortion will increase. Your idea of trying one at a shop is a good one: it depends on how cortical you are !
I think there will be an increase in weight with the Tamron which is another consideration!

steve_p
6 Dec 2012 - 7:44 PM

I've just looked up the specs the Tamron is actually quite a bit lighter- says something about the construction quality!

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.