Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Thinking about a change.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

mikehit
mikehit  56690 forum posts United Kingdom11 Constructive Critique Points
7 Dec 2012 - 3:00 PM

OK, I can see I confused you so I will explain my thought processes more prosaically

24-105 on the 500D gives longer reach than the 17-85 on the 500D
24-105 on the 500D is not as wide as the 17-85 on the 500D

You said you do not use the 17-30 range on the 17-85 lens very much.
If you move up to FF later on, and you put the 24-105 on the FF camera, then the range 24 to 38mm gives an equal field of view as 17-30 on 500D (which you say you never use) so 24-38 is 'superfluous'.
Also, 105mm on the FF camera has a field of view equivalent to 65mm on 500D. So you will have less reach than 85mm on the 500D.

So to summarise: you are looking for a lens for your 500D that (ideally) has a zoom that starts at about 24mm and goes longer than 85mm.
On a full frame camera, the 24-105 fails to provide both those qualities in terms of field of view (of course you can always crop, but that is a different discussion)

That is why I say buy the lens you need now and worry about FF if you buy one.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
7 Dec 2012 - 3:00 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Mozzytheboy
Mozzytheboy e2 Member 4550 forum postsMozzytheboy vcard United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
7 Dec 2012 - 4:22 PM

Mike I promise I won't ask anymore of you, 'Ye Gads Mozzy your thick at times!' Reading above which I've done several times; the 24-105 on my existing camera 500D will be able to zoom a tad further than my existing 17-85 and perhaps more importantly give me better (potential, subject to me setting up correctly) quality?

I'm confused, you say '24-105 on the 500D gives longer reach than the 17-85 on the 500D' which is precisely what I'm after. Excellent!

But then you mention 'Also, 105mm on the FF camera has a field of view equivalent to 65mm on 500D. So you will have less reach than 85mm on the 500D. ' Got the first bit on comprisons, but not the last bit with less reach on the 500D.

I'm sorry, I know it's meSad

Mozzytheboy
Mozzytheboy e2 Member 4550 forum postsMozzytheboy vcard United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
7 Dec 2012 - 4:23 PM

Oh I think I got it. You were saying the 105 on FF would actually be less than say max 85mm as is on my 500D?

mikehit
mikehit  56690 forum posts United Kingdom11 Constructive Critique Points
7 Dec 2012 - 4:33 PM

Yep.

Mozzytheboy
7 Dec 2012 - 4:42 PM

Smile Yee har, with your help I got there. I'm looking to go for a 24-105 then. Looking round the Bungalow to see what I can flog! Ahhh Hornby Gold Plated Hogwarts OO gauge loco, my existing 17-85, couple of WWII Op Bernhard White notes, oh yes almost thereSmile

Mozzytheboy
7 Dec 2012 - 5:01 PM

Is this a special one?

here

At over £2,100 for the 24-105 is it a special version or anything? I can buy a brand new one from reputable dealers for £600-£700, what am I missing? Or is it a rip-off?

KevSB
KevSB  101410 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
7 Dec 2012 - 5:13 PM

Quote: Is this a special one?

here

At over £2,100 for the 24-105 is it a special version or anything? I can buy a brand new one from reputable dealers for £600-£700, what am I missing? Or is it a rip-off?

Your not missing anything, thats a scam advert looking for someone whos foolish enough to buy from them, Park cameras sometimes split the 28-105 from the kit systems at good prices, so check with them if they have some f0r sale

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
Mozzytheboy
7 Dec 2012 - 5:22 PM

Phew, Thanks Kev. That is so out of order. Surely they will never sell one?

YesSmile already looked. £750 from Park with cash-back. Negotiating on a new one elsewhere from a bundle at £590.

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53672 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
7 Dec 2012 - 5:30 PM

Quote: ..... Park cameras sometimes split the 28-105 from the kit systems at good prices, so check with them if they have some f0r sale

True - that's how i got mine Smile

Mozzytheboy
7 Dec 2012 - 5:37 PM

Park are too expensive right now. This seems to good to be true so I guess it is. Can I ask my peers what they think?

HERE

Rawmazz
Rawmazz Junior Member 141 forum posts United Kingdom
7 Dec 2012 - 5:48 PM

I wouldn't be without my Tamron 18-270. I do find it light and also as I hike about a fair bit and travel it's a good all rounder. Since investing in it my Canon 17-85 and wide angle sigma have spent most of their time in their cases.

KevSB
KevSB  101410 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
7 Dec 2012 - 5:58 PM

Almost certenly a grey import as the negetive comments show, as it comes with a sellers warranty you need to find out where the companys repair facilitys are, if hong kong you could incur great exspense and time returning it. check also it duty paid as , if not you could incur more payments later.
Personally when i spend this type of money i want piece of mind that should the worse happen and its rubbish I can take it back which buying in this country from a reputeble sellers guarantees, he has good feedback on 5k sales which is not that big in company terms and for things like coppiers and printers so I personally wouldent touch them, It also comes in plain white box which agains points to it being out of country and the instructions and chargers may be non uk incuring more exspence.

This is my own feelings and would rather pay more and have piece of mind, As I said, give Park a ring and check if they have any Kits to split which wont be advertised and can save you a good chunk of cash, otherwise I would use wex, These prices and the ebay page smells of shortuts and that comes at a price should anything go wrong.

It will cost you quite alot in the Long run, once you own a L lens you will never want any other, thge quality is stunning compared to most lenses and that unfortunetly comes at a premium. I have this lens and the 100-400 and wouldent use any other.

Last Modified By KevSB at 7 Dec 2012 - 6:01 PM
Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
7 Dec 2012 - 6:13 PM

L lenses are normally international warranty, I thought?
But those selling for £500++ on eBay are all split from the kits. So, I am not sure how the warranty issue stands.
Digital Rev is selling door £600+.

Mozzytheboy
7 Dec 2012 - 8:23 PM

Thanks CS will try. That eBay seller seems really odd charging massive amounts above RRP!

Mozzytheboy
7 Dec 2012 - 8:37 PM

Ahh I see Digital Rev is Hong Kong based which actually puts me right off purchasing from them. Thanks all the same though.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.