Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Thinking about upgrading from a D3100

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

cosmicherb
cosmicherb e2 Member 1cosmicherb vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
14 Jun 2013 - 4:10 PM

Hello EPZ Nikon peeps,

I have had my Nikon D3100 for almost a year now and have taken over 3,000 photos with it. I have invested in a few lenses (the brilliant 35mm f/1.8, a 55-200 and a Sigma 10-20mm) and think it's time to move to the next level in body terms. I pretty much know my way around the camera and shoot manual most of the time.

I've been erring towards the D7000 or 7100, sticking to the DX format, but getting the best I can for control and image quality. I am a bit unsure which of them I would be better going for. People speak very highly of the 7000, other than a few mentions of a back-focus issue, but then people say that to get the best out of the 7100 you need top-dollar lenses and faultless technique. Is the main difference (i.e. 24mp) worth the extra 3-400 notes? I could afford the 7000 now....but wonder if I should hold on...

Any advice or just some gentle ribbing would be appreciated!

Cheers,

Chris

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
14 Jun 2013 - 4:10 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

GarethRobinson
GarethRobinson e2 Member 81002 forum postsGarethRobinson vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
14 Jun 2013 - 4:25 PM

I would go for the D7100 there is more to it than just more pixels. Your 35mm 1.8 and 10-20mm will shine.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
Andy_Cundell
14 Jun 2013 - 4:58 PM

Do you really need to upgrade?

Do you think you've outgrown your camera or in reality have you really only just started to use it to it's potential?

The 7100 is a lovely camera, I'm thinking very seriously about upgrading my D90 for one!!!

Andy

JN_CHATELAIN_PHOTOGRAPHY
14 Jun 2013 - 5:59 PM

Don't fall into the trap of wanting a new camera. The D3100 is fine and and it's brand new as you've only taken 3000 photos with it. When I go traveling, I take that amount of photos in a week.

Use the money for a lovely trip somewhere (875 for the D7100 at Amazon = a flight to Catania (Sicily) costs 220 with ebookers.) The 650 remaining will pay for your food, hotel and train or bus or boat if you venture to the Aeolian islands. You'll come back with some interesting photos + will have a great time.

GarethRobinson
GarethRobinson e2 Member 81002 forum postsGarethRobinson vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
14 Jun 2013 - 6:36 PM

so there we have it, don't upgrade your cameras, go on holiday instead.. love it..lol

I do agree the D3100 is a very capable camera, but maybe since he is into landscapes, he wants bracketing among other things, and sick of diving into menus.

Coventryphotog
Coventryphotog Junior Member 1149 forum posts United Kingdom
14 Jun 2013 - 6:51 PM

OP it's your money do what you want with it LOL

D7000 is a good body, D7100 is a better body, whether it is worth the extra only you can decide.

cosmicherb
cosmicherb e2 Member 1cosmicherb vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
14 Jun 2013 - 7:32 PM

Well, yes, Gareth. I'm into land and seascapes amongst other things. Can't do bracketing and having to dive into menus for everything is a pain, as you say. Still, lots of food for thought. I'd love to do more travelling when I have the means. Plenty to see and photo around Fife and Yorkshire for the moment. Should mention that 1000 of those pics were in the last 6 weeks!

GarethRobinson
14 Jun 2013 - 7:38 PM

Keep your D3100 as a backup cam or fit it with another lens and take both with you.

cosmicherb
14 Jun 2013 - 7:46 PM

Could do that. Was thinking of selling the body and the kit lens to fund the new camera.

RavenTepes
15 Jun 2013 - 8:22 PM

What about the D3100 do you feel is holding you back?

cosmicherb
15 Jun 2013 - 8:58 PM

Hi RavenTepes. I would like a camera that gives me more control (rather than fiddling with menus) and gives me the best I can get out of my lenses. The D3100 is a great bit of kit for a beginner and is an ideal intro to DSLR, but I feel like I'm just about ready to move on from it.

LenShepherd
LenShepherd e2 Member 62513 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
15 Jun 2013 - 9:15 PM

When someone says they have bought several lenses including a 35mm f1.8, are ready for the next step up in camera bodies and use mainly shoot manual I take the view that they are likely to know what they're doing photographically and why they want a more advanced model.
The D7000 is a good step up with better build quality, potentially more resolution, better AF, viewfinder etc.
The D7100 costs more and is currently the most advanced Nikon DX camera available.
If budget is not a big issue my suggestion is the D7100.
Most people say is not always accurate Sad Because the D100 has more resolution then your present camera it can produce more image resolution with any lens.
A D7100 can you provide even more resolution with a high quality lens but that is true of any camera.
The bigger you print an image or zoom in on a monitor the better your text needs to be, but that is also true of any camera.
I have not compared the 2 cameras in full detail yet, but the D7100 may have about 10% more linear resolution than a D7000. This is useful but, like your present camera moving to a D7000, not a huge difference.

cosmicherb
15 Jun 2013 - 10:00 PM

Thanks, Len. I have decided I'm going to wait a month or two and get the D7100.

MichaelMelb_AU
15 Jun 2013 - 11:42 PM

I had a look at your images... Having images that great why do you need to change from a decent camera to a good one? I would think that you deserve a best one - go for a full-frame DSLR ( new or second-hand) - and forget about "upgrading itch" for a while.

cosmicherb
16 Jun 2013 - 10:10 AM

Wow, thanks Michael. Very kind. Smile

You've put the seeds into my mind now...full frame... might have to save up a bit longer...

But on the other hand, would I need to buy new lenses for a full frame?

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.