Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Thinking of doing Wedding Photography ?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    ade_mcfade
    ade_mcfade  1014554 forum posts England216 Constructive Critique Points
    27 May 2013 - 5:50 PM

Have a read...
    Thinking of doing weddings...

(actually not specifically about weddings, just bound to get more reads if you mention weddings)

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    27 May 2013 - 5:50 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

thewilliam
    27 May 2013 - 6:12 PM

There's one thing that does amaze me: the number of people that sign up for a photography degree course when less than 3% of the graduates find a long-term future within the industry.

Student debt would terrify me and I'm very grateful that I grew up when we could have a good education entirely at public expense.

ade_mcfade
    ade_mcfade  1014554 forum posts England216 Constructive Critique Points
    27 May 2013 - 6:15 PM

yeah - they'd just started cutting the grant when I was a student, by my 3rd year loans came in

I think the 80's would have been a great time financially - they had more money than we had, and the universal currency unit (pint of beer) was a lot lower than in the 90's

pulsar69
    pulsar69  91611 forum posts United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
    27 May 2013 - 7:08 PM

I think in the big scheme of things the more that enter the larger percentage will be forced to leave as there just is not enough room or enough weddings to go around. Hence the cream will always rise to the top and it will always be a combination of passion and love for photography and business acumen that will see the best survive. Plenty will want to try Wedding Photography but its not for everyone and then pure pressure of it all will see a lot give up fairly quickly.

I actually thrive on it now and love the challenge of new venues, drastic weather, officious vicars, mother in law Bailey wannabees, fast paced camera setting action, and the general wind down and glass of wine after 10 hours + lugging 7.5 kg of kit bag around. You certainly know you have earned your pay when you have done the job right Wink. The only one downside and difficulty is not knowing how many bookings you will make each year as so many factors come into play.

RavenTepes
    28 May 2013 - 4:48 AM

What I just read didn't come as a shock. Actually, it's more or less what I figured the big picture looked like...a nice A1 sized print!

I'm trying to get to a point to where make my living behind a lens. But unlike many, I like to think I have a firm grasp on industry and what it takes to make it. Lets face it. I think anyone who has been a starry-eyed photographer with dreams of making it "big" never fully grasped it at the beginning. I, on the other hand, understand cost and profit margin, and what it takes to make a business grow and succeed. I come from a long line of management positions, where I've had to know the business end of things, tax, release forms, and everything else in between. Photography is just that. Business. Falter even a little, and a person could very well be on their way to closing. It takes more work in the background than a lot of people would imagine...especially in this day and age, to make even a comfortable living. I've been head chef at a few different places where I spent more time working on the business end of things, keeping the restaurant running, than I did actually worked cooking. Business is hard work. It's dedication. Too few realise this.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.