Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Thinking of getting a Satellite Navigation System for my car

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

graceland
graceland  92376 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
21 Jan 2010 - 3:39 PM

Hello all

I,m thinking of getting a Satellite Navigation System for my car

I know nothing about them .

So teach me

can you recommend one ?

are they any good

ETC ETC ETC

Last Modified By graceland at 21 Jan 2010 - 3:40 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
21 Jan 2010 - 3:39 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

MikeRC
MikeRC e2 Member 93488 forum postsMikeRC vcard United Kingdom
21 Jan 2010 - 3:51 PM

I wouldn't be without mine.it's just a basic TomTom cost most of 200, bet you can get it for less than 100 now....terrific.

There are those who can drive, read a map and talk on the phone, all at the same time....I'm not one of 'em and I find the SatNav. invaluable.

....Mike

graceland
21 Jan 2010 - 3:56 PM

Thanks thats a good start anyone else ??

chinny
chinny  9492 forum posts United Kingdom
21 Jan 2010 - 3:57 PM

TOM TOM

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
21 Jan 2010 - 4:01 PM

tom x2

collywobles
21 Jan 2010 - 4:02 PM

Another vote for Tom Tom. The top of the range models have bluetooth that can be linked to mobile phoenes for hands free use plus even the later versions have MP3 players.

I bought one in 2006 just to drive down to the South of France and I couln't praise it highly enough. Worth every penny even just to add it to the cost of the holiday.

Last Modified By collywobles at 21 Jan 2010 - 4:04 PM
gary_d
gary_d e2 Member 6519 forum postsgary_d vcard Wales12 Constructive Critique Points
21 Jan 2010 - 4:34 PM

It has to be Tom Tom. - gary

Doglet
Doglet  755 forum posts United Kingdom
21 Jan 2010 - 5:06 PM

Tomdiddlytomtom it has to be.

Clactonian
Clactonian e2 Member 887 forum postsClactonian vcard United Kingdom
21 Jan 2010 - 5:07 PM

I'll go with Tom Tom.
I was never convinced until a trip to the continent with friends who owned one. We fancied a stop on a long haul, just asked it to find the nearest hyper market and restaurant, which came up in a flash and it took us straight there. Magic!! Bought mine on our return and wouldn't be without it.

psiman
psiman  10551 forum posts Wales
21 Jan 2010 - 5:35 PM

Well to buck the trend I'd recommend Garmin. Personally I find them easier to use than TomTom's and this month's Which has the Nuvi 1490T, 1310 and 1210's as their Sat Nav best buys scoring higher than TomToms, Navigon etc..

Simon

graceland
21 Jan 2010 - 5:38 PM

oh no thats upset the balance no

i was all set on Tom tom but now ????

sidaorb
sidaorb  83857 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
21 Jan 2010 - 5:43 PM

Before spending money on any GPS, does your mobile have GPS and a windows operating system? I binned my Garmin and use my mobile with google maps now.

Jaydog
Jaydog  732 forum posts Scotland
21 Jan 2010 - 5:44 PM

No,get a Tom Tom that's what i use and has never let me down.I have seen some of the others but the tom tom is just so easy to use even i can work it. Ewan

sherlob
sherlob e2 Member 82282 forum postssherlob vcard United Kingdom123 Constructive Critique Points
21 Jan 2010 - 5:46 PM

Used Garmain for a couple of years without problems. Spoke to the sales person at Halfords once who reckoned that approx 50% of cheaper brands - Navman for example - get returned. I have no experience of these brands however. Have you thought of looking into a satnav via your phone?

A.

cameracat
cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
21 Jan 2010 - 5:49 PM

If you delve deeper into this subject, There are hardware GPS units from brands other than Tom Tom.

Many of these other brands can be loaded with the Tom Tom software maps etc etc, However the actual units are in many cases cheaper than Tom Tom branded items.

Lots of buyers opt for the known brand because its easier, If your savvy with such technology, Your options are greater.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.