Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

This is disgusting

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014822 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
20 May 2011 - 3:16 AM

Philippines rejects Saudi proposal to lower wages for Filipino maids
The Associated Press
at 21:49 on May 19, 2011, EDT.
MANILA, Philippines - The Philippines has rejected an appeal from Saudi Arabia to cut by half a minimum wage requirement for Filipino maids and will not be sending new domestic helpers until the dispute is solved.
Philippine Labor Secretary Rosalinda Baldoz says the Saudi government wants the minimum monthly salary for Filipino maids lowered from $400 to $200.
Saudi officials have complained that the Philippine government has imposed strict measures on Saudi employers and in March announced they were suspending processing of new contracts.
About 1.2 million Filipinos work in the kingdom.
Baldoz said Friday abuse of overseas workers in Arab countries is rampant and the government won't compromise on its demand for higher wages.

I say good for the Philipino Gonernment.

Last Modified By StrayCat at 20 May 2011 - 3:17 AM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
20 May 2011 - 3:16 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

digicammad
digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
20 May 2011 - 8:06 AM

Me too

pabloisme
pabloisme  4565 forum posts England
20 May 2011 - 9:49 AM

ouch! they will have to live like they did in the 60's when I was there

pig and pen was the word!

peted01
peted01  571 forum posts United Kingdom
20 May 2011 - 11:23 AM

yep good luck, i was there for a few years in the 90's and had a lot of them working for my company. really nice people, they should all go on strike Smile

cameracat
cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
20 May 2011 - 12:15 PM

They either pay the proper wages, Or learn to do their own dirty work like everyone else.....Tongue

Good on the Philipino Government for standing up for their people, Even those working abroad.....Grin

Its about time our government took notice of such actions, Rather than selling us out to all and sundry, Or finding more ways to " Rip Us Off "....Sad

Schitte shovelling ain't as cheap as it used to be.....Wink

mikehit
mikehit  56485 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
20 May 2011 - 12:22 PM

What I don't understand from this description is how the Filipino Governemnt fits into this.

Quote: The Philippines ...will not be sending new domestic helpers until the dispute is solved

I always thought this was someone in Philippines wanting to work in Saudi Arabia and going there. But is the govt more active than that? But good on 'em anyway for making sure their nationals don't get paid a stupidly low wage. I have spoken to several Brits who work in Saudi and Filipinos are generally treated appallingly as it is, and reducing salaries in this way is a true insult. I mean, its not as if they are a poor country!

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139463 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
20 May 2011 - 12:26 PM

What happens if a Phillipino person is prepared to accept the lower wages? Will their government prevent them from travelling to Saudi?

devlin
devlin  4651 forum posts India39 Constructive Critique Points
20 May 2011 - 12:42 PM

Quote: What happens if a Phillipino person is prepared to accept the lower wages? Will their government prevent them from travelling to Saudi?

Philippines labor laws are very tough and yes if you get a job overseas and it doesn't meet their minimum standards the govt doesn't allow you to travel so a company looking to source employees from this country needs to meet these criteria else the person cant travel.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139463 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
20 May 2011 - 12:43 PM

Quote: Philippines labor laws are very tough and yes if you get a job overseas and it doesn't meet their minimum standards the govt doesn't allow you to travel

Sounds like a police state!

devlin
devlin  4651 forum posts India39 Constructive Critique Points
20 May 2011 - 1:01 PM

Quote: Philippines labor laws are very tough and yes if you get a job overseas and it doesn't meet their minimum standards the govt doesn't allow you to travel

Sounds like a police state!

Not necessarily my company does a lot of work out of the Philippines, some of the provisions in their labor laws are very employee friendly this particular clause is to ensure there is no labor exploitation as is the case in some of the other countries from where labor is sourced for countries like Saudi Arabia and the Gulf in general.

Carabosse
20 May 2011 - 1:17 PM

It would still worry me if the UK government said to to me: "Sorry you can't take that job over there- we don't think it pays enough".

My reaction would be: "It's none of your ******* business!!

Last Modified By Carabosse at 20 May 2011 - 1:17 PM
mikehit
mikehit  56485 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
20 May 2011 - 2:03 PM

The difference is that many UK people who go abroad for another job do so for a job that has a decent salary. In Philippines (and other Asian countries) many people like those doing work in Saudi will travel abroad for any sort of salary because even this salary of $400/m is likely better than they can earn at home - and in many cases they try to send as much of their money home as possible to help their family. And they do it in such numbers as to be exploited.

answersonapostcard
answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012606 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
20 May 2011 - 2:08 PM

Wont make any difference ,there's enough labour from Indian, Pakistan etc to fill any potential gap. They get away with it because they can. Only when they cant get the labour at these prices then the choice is to do it themselves... and they wont Wink

CathyT
CathyT e2 Member 87276 forum postsCathyT vcard United Kingdom18 Constructive Critique Points
20 May 2011 - 2:20 PM

I was in Cape Town while the footy stadium was being built and strangely the labour force was Philippino rather than black South African...didn't make sense really considering the local unemployment and huge labour force of willing workers.

Last Modified By CathyT at 20 May 2011 - 2:20 PM
Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315396 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
20 May 2011 - 5:31 PM

Its a funny old world, the new Wembley stadium was built by an Australian company using quite a few Australian workers.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.