Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

This is how I do it.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

ckristoff
ckristoff  10941 forum posts Wales
2 Jul 2007 - 8:26 PM

Friends,
I'm a 50year old dude, not 100% computer literate and I have photoshop CS, of which I am still a novice. Indeed, I consider myself a relative beginner with photography, although I'm improving slowly.

My aim is to attempt to take a good photograph, at the time I'm using the camera, remembering to bracket sometimes. There are times I don't use any filters apart from the UV filter I use to protect the lens.

I don't mind sitting in front of Mr.PC, as long as I achieve an end result. Sometimes I get frustrated with my scanner. Then I'm not too clever with photoshop, although I've received enormous help from my fellow members. As I've said, and I'm probably expecting too much, my aim is to get the image onto film, scan image into PC, open up in photoshop to check it over, then bingo - if I feel it's satisfactory, upload to my EPZ portfolio.

Right, this is what I do. Find a good image to open in photoshop, repair some dust spots and minor scratches.
Then I use all 3 auto functions within Image Adjustments, then if necessary ( again, I don't know what necessary means! ), sharpen and sharpen more. All this I do with the original file! Don't shoot me down - this is how I'm doing it for the time being. I can always scan it again if I get it wrong, I've got the time guv.

Then Image resize, save for web and upload to my EPZ profile.

Job done mate! And I've done this for all my images uploaded so far.

Thanks for reading this.

Frank.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
2 Jul 2007 - 8:26 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014170 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
2 Jul 2007 - 8:37 PM

Hi frank,

What are the auto adjustments you do?

Sharpen & sharpen more are complete rubbish. Try instead not doing any sharpening until after you have resized then use the unsharp mask as this will give you more control.

Chris

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
ckristoff
2 Jul 2007 - 8:42 PM

Hello Chris,

I use Auto Levels, Auto Contrast and Auto Colour, because mainly I'm just a lazy boyo! Smile

Er, I think I understand what you say. So how do I decide when to use the unsharp mask, and what does it do? I'm sorry for being dim. Sad

Frank.

Hanners
Hanners e2 Member 8875 forum postsHanners vcard Ireland10 Constructive Critique Points
2 Jul 2007 - 8:43 PM

and save the original as a copy and work on the copy.....

ckristoff
2 Jul 2007 - 8:44 PM

Tony thank you for that. Do I copy as a layer?

I'm sorry, I'm not very good at this stuff.

Frank.

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014170 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
2 Jul 2007 - 9:27 PM

To save a copy just use File>Save As and give it a different name.

Unsharp mask sharpens your image (confusing aint it) you move the sliders till the image looks sharp! there is a sharpening action on my blog that will do the work for you.

Also on my blog is a quick tutorial on levels - I'll PM you some links.

Chris

ckristoff
2 Jul 2007 - 9:50 PM

Chris,
that's great! I think my Monty Python brain understands that! To sharpen an image, you have to unsharpen it. Why aye man!! It makes perfect sense to a boyo like me! Ha ha!

I've received your message. Thank you.

Frank.

GPTek
GPTek e2 Member 8438 forum postsGPTek vcard England1 Constructive Critique Points
2 Jul 2007 - 11:12 PM

Frank, you could also check out this book by Scott Kelby, who has written many books on the use of Photoshop. There are also tutorials available on this site in the techniques section.

Geoff

looboss
looboss  73124 forum posts United Kingdom7 Constructive Critique Points
2 Jul 2007 - 11:48 PM

This is how I started a few months ago, little by little one picks ups a few tricks here and there, don't know if it has improved my photos, but they seem to look better to me Smile

Just keep on trucking you will get there in the end!

MrsS
MrsS  84527 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
3 Jul 2007 - 12:01 AM

Hi Frank
Like Luis I've only been into this since March this year - - the tutorials on here are gr8 and you can find an answer to just about anything in the forums - - I look at how far I've come and it's amazing - - thanks to all the helpful people here - - can't offer any technical advice - still a novice myself at that, but

compose it well. expose it well - - - - and there won't be a great deal of post production work to do!!! Smile

Cheers!

Fran x

Davidmet
Davidmet  9209 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
3 Jul 2007 - 12:21 AM

Make a copy and convert to Tif file as this will not degrade like a jpeg when you work on it. Add duplicate layer and try high pass sharpen and play with it until you are happy.
Convert tif back to jpeg for upload to site. I tend to save a tif copy. Have fun Wink

ckristoff
3 Jul 2007 - 4:56 PM

Friends,

thank you all for your kind advice. I almost didn't post my message last night, as I thought I would get trashed. Thanks for proving me wrong!

Fran, my aim is always to get the image spot-on when exposing it onto film. I don't always get it right! But I'm slowly improving.

frank.

MrsS
3 Jul 2007 - 5:02 PM

Me too, Frank, me too!! Would estimate 1 out of 8 spot on at the mo - - thank goodness for digital Smile

ckristoff
3 Jul 2007 - 6:35 PM

Fran,
I'm well pleased for you, those odds are great.

Still, I have lots of film to waste! I'm getting quite good shots lately, perhaps what lets me down, is the simple fact that I'm too lazy to experiment with my filters.

Digital will have to wait till at least Christmas, by which time, if Sandra isn't looking, I'll treat myself to a Canon 5D - 'cos my friend has got one!

Frank. Smile

MrsS
3 Jul 2007 - 11:53 PM

Spent my 1st four months as a member messing about with a Pnasonic Lumix 200 - - which then broke!!!!
After that I spent the next three months borrowing cameras from VERY nice people on the site!!
Finally got MY VERY OWN 300D a week ago - - ain't life grand!! Smile

Cheers!

Fran x

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.