Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Three more companies Join M4/3

Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
26 Jan 2012 9:39PM
DSLR-dinosaur-fanciers will be with us for some time yet! Lol! Grin

AstroDesign looks an interesting company - I've never heard of it before. Involved in 4K video, eh? That may help the M4/3 camera manufacturers to up their game on the video front. Smile

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
26 Jan 2012 9:40PM
Yes and that camera looks like a security camera Smile
cambirder 10 7.2k England
26 Jan 2012 11:30PM
I'm hoping for some more nice primes that maybe might drive down the price of that lovely but horrible expensive oly 12mm.
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
27 Jan 2012 2:21AM
kodachrome 3 530
27 Jan 2012 2:00PM
Pete

Several well respected camera review sites have said that the picture quality from the Panasonic DMC G3 is as good or equal to a DSLR and in a couple of instances, better.

Pete
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
27 Jan 2012 2:14PM
I think some have not yet cottoned on to the fact that having a flapping mirror in your camera does not actually contribute to picture quality! Wink

Actually it can be detrimental, in some extreme circumstances.
User_Removed 10 3.3k 4 United Kingdom
27 Jan 2012 2:19PM
In a couple of instances better than DSLR? Where can I witness such great picture quality? You got any links?

Of course you haven't because you're talking rot.
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
27 Jan 2012 2:30PM
Not all DSLRs are equal. That is the problem with generalisations of this sort.

I would not claim that my M4/3 camera is the equal of the Canon 5D Mk II which I used to own. But it is probably the equal of entry-level DSLRs.

When you get to CSCs like the Sony NEX-7, with a 24.3Mp APS-C sensor, then you are getting much nearer to competition with higher-end DSLRs. There was a review of the NEX-7 in AP a few weeks back.

Will technology advancing apace in the CSC sector, I would guess within the next couple of years there will be very little reason to buy a DSLR if you are anything other than a pro.
keith selmes 11 7.1k 1 United Kingdom
27 Jan 2012 2:32PM

Quote:having a flapping mirror in your camera does not actually contribute to picture quality!
It does contribute to viewfinder quality, which enables better picture taking. It also sucks less battery, so it is still working when your M43 has used the battery and the spare battery. Horses for courses.
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
27 Jan 2012 2:35PM

Quote:It does contribute to viewfinder quality

It will get to the stage where the EVF provides better quality, especially in dim light, than the OVF. We aren't quite there yet but I don't think it's far off.

CSC is a camera technology which is less than 3 years old,.
keithh e2
11 23.4k 33 Wallis And Futuna
27 Jan 2012 2:40PM
However good the EVF image quality gets it will take extra hardware/software to compensate for the instability of standing with your arms out in front of you as opposed to firmly against the body.
oldblokeh 3 922 United Kingdom
27 Jan 2012 2:42PM

Quote:However good the EVF image quality gets it will take extra hardware/software to compensate for the instability of standing with your arms out in front of you as opposed to firmly against the body.

...whoooossshhh .....
keith selmes 11 7.1k 1 United Kingdom
27 Jan 2012 2:43PM

Quote:Not all DSLRs are equal. That is the problem with generalisations of this sort.
Absolutely right. I had been wondering if the DSLR was an Eos D30 or a Leica S2.

I am sometimes surprised looking through images I've taken in the last couple of years, when I realise which ones were M43.
The more experimental done with an old TV lens are fairly obvious, but some taken with a Contax SLR lens could easily be mistaken for DSLR work.

Bearing in mind my first DSLR was 6MP.

The biggest difference now I think is that a 5D will allow more enlarging or cropping, and will give better results at higher ISO.

And getting a decent fast wide angle lens on M43 is a bit harder to do within budget.

The M43 is a lot easier to carry around of course, and it does excellent video, and has that dinky fold out lcd, all nice things to have.
An EVF may have an advantage in the dark but looking thru an optical viewfinder is just like looking with your eyes. I don't think they will come close to that and they can't beat it.

Quote:Several well respected camera review sites have said that the picture quality from the Panasonic DMC G3 is as good or equal to a DSLR and in a couple of instances, better.
Any links please?
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
27 Jan 2012 2:44PM

Quote:EVF image quality gets it will take extra hardware/software to compensate for the instability of standing with your arms out in front of you as opposed to firmly against the body

Rotfl! If I had it at arms length I wouldn't be able to look through the EVF !! Grin

Quote:An EVF may have an advantage in the dark but looking thru an optical viewfinder is just like looking with your eyes. I don't think they will come close to that and they can't beat it.

I disagree. I think you can beat it.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.