Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Three more companies Join M4/3

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

keith selmes
29 Jan 2012 - 4:42 PM

Mine was a Vest Pocket Kodak with one of those tiny mirror finders.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
29 Jan 2012 - 4:42 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314965 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
29 Jan 2012 - 4:48 PM

I delved for a while into medium format twin lens reflexes, I even messed around with home made focusing screens made from perspex that I sand blasted myself Smile

keith selmes
29 Jan 2012 - 10:27 PM

Several pictures in my pf were taken with a Rollei T, some by moonlight, courtesy of the sportfinder.
In normal use it often is hard to see what you're doing, but on a bright sunny day, that big square screen really lights up.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314965 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
6 Feb 2012 - 7:58 PM

I`ve just been caught out.

Thought I had been looking at a Sony Nex with its kit lens, but on a closer look it was the new Tokina 300mm mirror lens mounted on a Pen Smile

I`ve found a better picture here.

http://www.photographyblog.com/news/tokina_300mm_f_6.3_mirror_lens_for_micro_fou...

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 6 Feb 2012 - 8:01 PM
mikehit
mikehit  46189 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
6 Feb 2012 - 10:47 PM

I can understand that mirror lenses pair well with the 'light and compact' philisophy of MFT but from my (limited) experience with mirror lenses I have not been impressed with the image quality. I have found a better image using a shorter focal length 'lens based' lens and cropping. Unless these babies have taken a quantum leap forwards in quality.

Paul Morgan
6 Feb 2012 - 10:53 PM

There a bit of an acquired taste Smile

I`ve got an old Tamron, its not out much.

Graham_Rainham
7 Feb 2012 - 12:36 AM

Quote: I've yet to see a picture taken with an M4/3 camera that looks better than what you can get with a regular compact, certainly never seen one that's on a par with a DSLR and quality lens.

Have a look here:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM

Compare the cheapest M4/3 with the most expensive one you like, taking the same image for both cameras (eg Still-Life 200) and I think you may be surprised.

User_Removed
7 Feb 2012 - 1:26 AM

Great tool. Just comparing the Pen (on the left) to the 7D (on the right).

Quote: My Pen E-P2 knocks spots of many DSLRs

Which ones?

07-02-2012-01-24-03.jpg

keithh
keithh  1022807 forum posts Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
7 Feb 2012 - 7:40 AM

Quote: Which ones?

Nikon D1 for a start.
Wink

Graham_Rainham
7 Feb 2012 - 11:07 AM

Quote: Great tool. Just comparing the Pen (on the left) to the 7D (on the right).

My Pen E-P2 knocks spots of many DSLRs

Which ones?

For me the surprise was when I compared the CANON 7D to the Olympus XZ-1 (for the same area you show above)

Pound for pound, I'm VERY hard pressed to see what I'm paying all that extra money for.

If you look very close there are small differences in the lighting of these comparison shots so it's not "Laboratory" testing, but a lot better than the old Center-n-Edge shots of the Boat across the River Thames that we had years ago Grin

Considering most people only ever view their images at HDTV resolution and only a few are printed to A3, what are they really wanting all those pixels for ?

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139392 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
7 Feb 2012 - 11:40 AM

When I was reading vast numbers of reviews, before buying my Olympus E-PL2, it seemed as if the general consensus was the Pen and the Canon 7D produce very similar image quality.

That said, and based on magazine articles I've read, I have a feeling the Sony NEX models probably set the standard in IQ for mirrorless cameras. The 24.3Mp NEX-7 can probably give the Canon 5D Mk II a run for its money up to about ISO 1600, beyond which the full-framer pulls away,

mikehit
mikehit  46189 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
7 Feb 2012 - 12:41 PM

The NEX do sound good to me but I can't get over the descriptions of how bad the user interfiace is. Sad

I think MFT vs DSLR has started to enter the territory of 'diminishing returns' with not only cost but sheer portability thrown into the mix. A double whammy.

Even for those who are adamanet their APS-C DSLR offers noticable superiority over MFT, I wonder what proportion of their shooting uses this difference to anything like full effect?

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139392 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
7 Feb 2012 - 1:17 PM

Quote:

Compare the cheapest M4/3 with the most expensive one you like, taking the same image for both cameras (eg Still-Life 200) and I think you may be surprised.

Unfortunately Imaging Resource's Comparometer only shows out-of-camera JPEGs. So you are dependent on the camera's JPEG processing engine. A similar tool for RAW images would be great.

Quote: The NEX do sound good to me but I can't get over the descriptions of how bad the user interfiace is

For what it's worth, below is a comparison of JPEGs of the NEX-7 and the Canon 5D Mk II at ISO 1600.

comparison-nex7-5d2.jpg

User_Removed
7 Feb 2012 - 1:45 PM

First impressions of this site were good but the tests aren't too consistent, they don't seem to shoot from the same angle / distance for each camera (see grab) Can't find any exif data for the 5D2, wonder what lens and aperture they used? Also if you study the pictures carefully you can see that things have moved about between tests.

07-02-2012-13-39-12.jpg

Paul Morgan
7 Feb 2012 - 10:09 PM

There`s always one Smile

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.