Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Three seconds of your life!

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318432 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
8 Apr 2011 - 10:03 AM

We often see people post requests to help them by voting on their photo in a competition. The competition is judged on the number of votes the photo gets. So if someone flaunts themselves around all the popular forums their photo could gain a status it does not deserve.
Is this wrong? Well yes in one way. The thing is the competition should (especially if a prize is involved) be judged fairly by a panel, who look at every photo on its own merit. That's how we judge all epz prize competitions. It rewards pictures on their own merits rather than a who has the largest social network. On the other hand it's the metrics of how the competition is designed, if you don't do it someone else will. So if you can beat them...!

So after seeing one of our members requesting people to vote his picture in a current competition I looked a little closer at the competition.
It's been running for several months and has several months left before the closing date. If you enter now you will, like he has, generate little activity compared with the current highest voted. You can search the gallery by highest votes and highest comments, which will bring up those pictures that have been around longest, those that are on the home page and those that have been submitted by people who have a huge pool of "friends".

Your picture will be lost unless you promote it...and that's the thing...these sponsors want you to promote it. They want you to tell all your friends as that's what brings the traffic to their product. You become the marketeer ( unpaid ) to promote their company.

So as an experiment I'm playing the system...and I want to see what happens. Can I get into the top 20 and then my photo will be seen fairly? If I achieve a winning position will I be banned for as the t&cs state "acting in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner"

I am after all doing what they say...and there's is absolutely no chance to get into the top 20 unless I do this at this stage. The number of votes I need is currently over 418. The top photo has 1969. I would say my photo is at least as good as at least 50% of the top 20. but I'm biased Wink

So help me play...click this link and vote on my photo.

1. Go here (it will ask you age) [you can enter anything]
2. Then click on this link to go to Pete's photo
3. Then click 'Place vote' in the top right corner

And please feel free to discuss competitions, this type of competition and anything else I've talked about here Smile

Last Modified By Pete at 11 Apr 2011 - 9:02 AM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
8 Apr 2011 - 10:03 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

irishman
irishman  101118 forum posts Ireland2 Constructive Critique Points
8 Apr 2011 - 10:12 AM

Already voted for the http://www.themastersofphotography.com/the-masterclass-gallery/s17/?cmd=SubmissionDetail&id=5107 person, sorry Pete Wink Grin

Last Modified By irishman at 8 Apr 2011 - 10:20 AM
Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318432 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
8 Apr 2011 - 10:19 AM

that's no excuse - you can vote for as a many as you like...it's so good you can even vote for yourself!

irishman
irishman  101118 forum posts Ireland2 Constructive Critique Points
8 Apr 2011 - 10:22 AM

Quote: That's no excuse - you can vote for as a many as you like...it's so good you can even vote for yourself!

Just might enter myself then for that matter. Tongue

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
8 Apr 2011 - 10:23 AM

Is this the camouflage for Pete's click fishing behaviour?
Discuss......
Smile

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014013 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
8 Apr 2011 - 10:25 AM

It is pretty blatent ain't it Cole. Grin

Pete
8 Apr 2011 - 10:26 AM

Quote: Is this the camouflage for Pete's click fishing behaviour?

lol..it looks like it... but trust me it's not. I just want to try an experiment.

User_Removed
8 Apr 2011 - 10:27 AM

How could anyone think this is not fair.

The person with the most clicks wins. End of.

(PS - why do you have to upload a photograph to enter?)

User_Removed
8 Apr 2011 - 10:34 AM

there are a few comps like this that crop up from time to time, and unless, like you say you out and out post on forums on sites such as this then you stand absolutely no chance. The very nature of these types of comps means that if you don't promote yourself and beg for votes then you can bet that everyone else in that comp is.

I entered one such comp a while back and indeed posted on the forums here based on the "good community" that this site at the time nutured and was shot to bits, which left a rather nasty taste in the mouth so in the end i deleted the post. It changed my opinion of entering such comps and indeed changed my opinion of this site at the same time. Anyway have casted my vote for you Pete, will be interesting to see if you get as much s**t as i did when i posted, although as you have explained it and as it's you it is doubtful

rgds
Dave

Pete
8 Apr 2011 - 10:38 AM

Quote: will be interesting to see if you get as much s**t as i did when i posted, although as you have explained it and as it's you it is doubtful

Who you trying to kid lol...I'll get more s**t than anyone. Wink It's a bit slow only 18 votes so far and we have over 4000 followers on facebook. Lazy things! Anyone friends with Stephen Fry on Twitter? Get him to give me a tweet Wink

davidburleson
davidburleson ePHOTOzine Staff 72302 forum postsdavidburleson vcard United Kingdom
8 Apr 2011 - 10:51 AM

Placed my vote (3 times), that was easy....here is a further tip:

If you clear your browsing history for this site you can vote again...and again...and again...and again. Just gave Pete 3 votes. Wow, this is a really well built and thought through competition...not.

meercat
meercat  5278 forum posts United Kingdom
8 Apr 2011 - 10:51 AM

Presumably as you don't have to register to vote then it is done via IP address, which as most of us don't have static ones means, simply changing IPs (usually they change if you switch your router of for 10-20 mins) means you can vote on your own pic a few times with ease, or visiting libraries/internet cafes free wi-fi areas (not sure on mobile internet devices how it works but maybe those too). It always seems dodgy having voting like this to win any comp, I regularly see similar on Facebook.

As Pete says the only fair way is judging through a panel, but then you are subject to the whims of the panel.

meercat
meercat  5278 forum posts United Kingdom
8 Apr 2011 - 10:52 AM

Blimey even easier than I imagined it would be!

User_Removed
8 Apr 2011 - 10:59 AM

Quote: Placed my vote (3 times), that was easy....here is a further tip:

If you clear your browsing history for this site you can vote again...and again...and again...and again. Just gave Pete 3 votes. Wow, this is a really well built and thought through competition...not.

lol done ... again, and again. Think it's because Pete wants to prove he isn't a Billy no mates Wink

KathyW
KathyW  101793 forum posts Norfolk Island12 Constructive Critique Points
8 Apr 2011 - 11:12 AM

voted... and again...

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.