Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Tibetan rail wildlife photograph faked.

ckristoff 10 959 Wales
2 Mar 2008 10:48PM
Friends,

on page 42 of The Observer, I read an article of Chinese photographer Liu Weiqiang won an award at the 2006 Most Influential News Photos of the Year.

The image is of an express train crossing over recently completed Qinghai-Tibet rail line. In the image, the train crosses a rail bridge and shows a line of antelopes running underneath the bridge at the same time.

This image was reproduced by over 200 media outlets.

The photographer suggested that he waited for two weeks for the image to ' come together '. That was until he realised that why not take 2 seperate images and let Photoshop do the rest!

The image was apparently used by China to show that the rail line has had little impact on the wildlife of the Tibetan plateau.

A Chinese zoologist writes in Nature journal, there is no such thing as harmonious coextince between trains and antelopes.

So friends, I do of course understand that such an image is indeed fraudulent, but does this mean it isn't art? Is it less of a photograph, now we know the truth?

Only this week, I've read in a writing magazine, of authors who have actually re-written whole novels then pass them off as their own! I'm not saying all of this is right. But surely it is the author or photographer or whoever, to live with the consequences of their actions. Didn't the Rolling Stones rip off Sgt. Pepper?

Frank.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Geoffphoto 8 13.5k United Kingdom
2 Mar 2008 10:52PM

Quote:Didn't the Rolling Stones rip off Sgt. Pepper?

No !!
Slippery_Jim 6 597 England
2 Mar 2008 11:07PM
Story and Picture (very small) Here
2 Mar 2008 11:09PM
GRRRR..... what`s up with this stupid post link thing ? Why doesn`t it work ?
dougv e2
10 8.4k 3 England
2 Mar 2008 11:13PM

Quote:GRRRR..... what`s up with this stupid post link thing ? Why doesn`t it work ?

Because you didn't do it right.

I fixed it for you.

Wink
ckristoff 10 959 Wales
2 Mar 2008 11:17PM
Jim and Dougv,

thank you for the link!

Frank.
IanA 11 3.0k 12 England
2 Mar 2008 11:18PM
LINK Wink

Edit: Too late!! Sad
2 Mar 2008 11:39PM
Okay..it's art...nice suggestion of trains and wildlife living together..what goes wrong for my tiny grey cell is for it to be used as a 'real' indication in propaganda material...but then when did the Chinese authorities give a s**t about a lot of things...
Kevin.
2 Mar 2008 11:41PM

Quote:I fixed it for you.

How ? Tell me, tell me, tell me...
2 Mar 2008 11:42PM
I B******d that ast post up too
2 Mar 2008 11:42PM

Quote:I B******d that ast post up too

I give up
dougv e2
10 8.4k 3 England
3 Mar 2008 12:06AM
The easiest way do do a link is as follows:

Decide which word/words you want to be the link.

So if I type something like this:

"Here is a line of text and THIS is a link"

Then click and drag your mouse over the word/words and click on the Insert Link button.

A dialogue box opens and you type or past in the URL and click on OK.

You end up with:

Easy eh?

Wink
Sus 10 3.2k 9 England
3 Mar 2008 12:13AM

Quote:Is it less of a photograph, now we know the truth?

Yes.

Its intention - surely? - is to be documentary photography primarily, rather than artistic - and as such does more than fails, it denigrades its whole genre.

One of the key things is the honesty and intention of the photographer - if they had been honest about the conception of the photograph - it perhaps could have been classified under art.
3 Mar 2008 1:00AM

Quote:Its intention - surely? - is to be documentary photography primarily, rather than artistic - and as such does more than fails, it denigrades its whole genre.

One of the key things is the honesty and intention of the photographer - if they had been honest about the conception of the photograph - it perhaps could have been classified under art

Like wot I said...
3 Mar 2008 1:12AM

Quote:The easiest way do do a link is as follows:

Decide which word/words you want to be the link.

So if I type something like this:

Then click and drag your mouse over the word/words and click on the Insert Link button.

A dialogue box opens and you type or past in the URL and click on OK.

You end up with:

Easy eh?

Doh !!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.