Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Tick Bite Prevention Week

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    fraser
    fraser  10631 forum posts Scotland14 Constructive Critique Points
    14 Apr 2011 - 4:43 PM

A lot of us will be exposed to the risk of tick bites and, therefore, infection by Lyme Disease. I came across the Tick Bite Prevention Week website earlier today and it provides lots of useful information, including removal of ticks and avoiding commonly used techniques that actually can make matters worse. Definately worth a look.

Incidently, I can recommend the O'Tom Tick Tister removal tool that the site mentions. I have had cause to use one and it is simple, quick and painless, as well as being relatively cheap.

Last Modified By fraser at 14 Apr 2011 - 4:44 PM
    Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    14 Apr 2011 - 4:43 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Gaucho
    Gaucho e2 Member 122191 forum postsGaucho vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    14 Apr 2011 - 5:49 PM

I second re the Tick Twister. Works a treat and we have had many occasions to use it Sad Frontline works well on the dog and you get dead ticks all over the house, but if you forget to put it on each month they soon attach themselves. My wife had one on her arm which came off with the twister. Plagues of the little buggers in the south of France.
    Malcolm

filmforever
    15 Apr 2011 - 5:28 PM

Does mosquito repellent work, in keeping them off in the first place?

Snapper
    Snapper  93691 forum posts United States Minor Outlying Islands3 Constructive Critique Points
    15 Apr 2011 - 6:12 PM

Quote: Does mosquito repellent work, in keeping them off in the first place?

I'm afraid they're made of sterner stuff than that, but keeping away from long grass is probably the biggest thing for avoiding them in the first place.

fraser
    15 Apr 2011 - 6:38 PM

There are tips on the website of things to do to avoid being bitten.

Robin_TB
    Robin_TB  4191 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
    15 Apr 2011 - 11:01 PM

We've had to take ticks out of the dog twice and the twister thing works really well. My mum picked one up raspberry picking once so they do pop up in strange places. My father in law has Lymes after a tick bite in Norway he didn't see or feel and it's really nasty, so best to heed the advice at the link. It's made me bloody scared of the things Sad

MaryMac
    MaryMac  8258 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Apr 2011 - 7:09 AM

we put chicken manure on the garden to help get the grass growing what a bad mistake just a few weeks after watering it all in these "monsters" started attatching themselves to our dogs !! If you just put a bit of vaseline or cooking oil on them in situ it suffocates them and they fall off which is safer than trying to pull them off as this can leave the nasty pincers they have embedded in the animal which can cause an infection and tick bite fever I thought I was used to seeing ticks in africa but these are the biggest I have ever seen !dsc00513.jpg

fraser
    16 Apr 2011 - 2:35 PM

Quote: If you just put a bit of vaseline or cooking oil on them in situ it suffocates them and they fall off

Another method frowned upon by the tick bite prevention website. This stresses the ticks and they regurgitate their contents into the bloodstream as they detatch themselves. Not recommended. The ONLY methods recommended on the website are thin nosed tweezers and the tick-twister.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.