Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Tiff or PSD?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    canonfan46
    17 Jan 2013 - 8:41 PM

Hi all, I'm back again.
    I am in the process of reviewing my complete work flow using LR4 and CS6.

I have been looking at my preferences in LR and was wondering about the best file format and Colour Space to use between the two programs.
    My current settings in "External Editing" are:-
    Format = TIFF
    Colour Space = Prophoto RGB
    Bit Depth = 16 bits
    Resolution = 240
    I dont know enough about these to have a preference of one over the other, so I am relying on advice from members on here.

My system is Vostro 470, 64bit, 8gb RAM, on Windows 7 (if that makes a diff)
    I also use an external drive for storing my images.

Any advice would be appreciated.

John

Last Modified By canonfan46 at 17 Jan 2013 - 8:42 PM
    Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    17 Jan 2013 - 8:41 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

justin c
    justin c  104512 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
    17 Jan 2013 - 9:07 PM

Adobe RGB would be my choice for working space.

I convert Raw images to tif. Then when I've finished doing any editing in Photoshop, I save them as 16 bit unflattened PSD files. I don't think they're is an awful lot of difference between saving for tif or psd, both formats will keep any adjustment layers intact (if desired). I believe the file size may be slightly smaller with a psd file compared to tif. The reason I use the above procedure is because I can see at a glance that a tif file represents an unedited (but Raw converted) file and a psd file represents a completed, final, master file. One disadvantage of this method is that an unflattened 16bit psd file is pretty large and takes up a fair bit of storage space, but saying that, modern hard drives are large and relatively inexpensive so it's not a major issue. Another method which I guess would work well is just using Lightroom to do all the editing and making virtual copies if needed, instead of physically creating another file.

Last Modified By justin c at 17 Jan 2013 - 9:12 PM Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    GlennH
    GlennH  91894 forum posts France1 Constructive Critique Points
    18 Jan 2013 - 1:48 AM

Your current settings seem to make a lot of sense for bouncing files around between the two programs, John, otherwise you'd potentially lose data merely through translation (ProPhoto RGB and 16-bit always go hand-in-hand when editing). The colour space you eventually use for exporting might be a different thing, depending on the potential use you have for your own files. With any given file in Lightroom 4 you can see what colours are going to be clipped in your proposed output (export) colour space using the destination gamut warning in softproofing. Anything highlighted by that will lose detail in the transition.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    puertouk
    puertouk  21054 forum posts United Kingdom17 Constructive Critique Points
    18 Jan 2013 - 10:14 AM

From what I´ve seen and read regarding Lightroom and PS6, the best method is PSD. Its Adobe´s own, so it makes sense to use it. RGB, if you have the printer set up for that or if you are getting them printed at a lab, Rsgb. If you are using your images for internet, use 72 and for printing 300.
    Stephen

thewilliam
    18 Jan 2013 - 10:41 AM

We use sRGB for social photography and ARGB for commercial.

GlennH
    18 Jan 2013 - 10:44 AM

Quote: Its Adobe´s own, so it makes sense to use it

That's usually the precise reason why people advise against using it; it's an undocumented proprietary file format that offers few or no advantages over the near-universal TIFF file.

canonfan46
    18 Jan 2013 - 10:58 AM

I think I stick with Prophoto RGB and TIFF. I dont know why other than I like the sound of GlennH's reasoning.

Quote: it makes sense to use it. RGB, if you have the printer set up for that

I am not sure what is meant by "set up". I use a Canon Pro9500 MK II printer with Permajet paper.
    The only "set up" I use is Permajets own paper profile. Is there something I am missing in this area?

arhb
    arhb e2 Member 72149 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom67 Constructive Critique Points
    18 Jan 2013 - 12:38 PM

Quote: Your current settings seem to make a lot of sense for bouncing files around between the two programs, John, otherwise you'd potentially lose data merely through translation (ProPhoto RGB and 16-bit always go hand-in-hand when editing). The colour space you eventually use for exporting might be a different thing, depending on the potential use you have for your own files. With any given file in Lightroom 4 you can see what colours are going to be clipped in your proposed output (export) colour space using the destination gamut warning in softproofing. Anything highlighted by that will lose detail in the transition.

I was unaware of the this Glenn, and have until now been using AdobeRGB for editing(8 and 16 bit), and converting to sRGB for web and some print labs when specified.
    I went over to Luminous Landscape to get an overview of ProfotoRGB, and will move over this colourspace for my editing and processing.

GlennH
    18 Jan 2013 - 1:06 PM

Complex subject. Stephen's advice is pretty sound when it comes to exporting raw files into converted images. Adobe RGB (mistakenly shortened to 'RGB' by some) is a fair choice for most inkjet printing, for the simple reason that only a relatively small proportion of high-end inkjet printers can make use of colour outside of the Adobe RGB gamut. For minilab prints there's almost no lab in the land that can deal with anything other than sRGB. So the main reasons for actually exporting to ProPhoto RGB would be to serve a printer capable of making use of the extra gamut, or to archive rendered images with the maximum amount of data preserved. For 'Edit in Photoshop' purposes, where you'll subsequently be bringing the picture back into Lightroom, it makes sense to me to preserve the data of the raw file by choosing ProPhoto RGB.

Nick_w
    Nick_w e2 Member 73823 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
    18 Jan 2013 - 1:24 PM

I now always use PSD, as I had problems with TIFF compatibility errors (was when adding a TIF generated from Photomatix to a layer stack. - it caused major issues and froze the PC for 3 hours, - even navigating to the folder froze the PC, I then had to save as PSD, then when I tried deleting the original TIFF it again froze the PC for 3 hours whilst the recycle bin emptied). Why didn't I delete and start again? well I'd spent 5 hours on an image (yes I know without saving).

Also with large files PSD is more stable (PSB even more so).

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.