Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Time for a whole new PC....Help!

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

lemmy
lemmy  71774 forum posts United Kingdom
4 Jan 2014 - 9:24 PM

Quote: It always saddens me how many "professionals" in the graphics and printing trades don't bother to colour-manage their work.

I agree. You expect professionals to work to the highest standards even if their clients don't. That way, any faults are firmly at the input side.

Probably of little interest but a good outcome of a good colour managed work flow and monitor is the ability to soft proof an image, upload it to a good printer and what comes back is as near as dammit to what you saw on your monitor. That's all is about, really, nothing esoteric. Do you need a £2,000 monitor to achieve that? No.

But I have a Martin guitar. Does my playing merit such an instrument? No! But I can afford it and so I can be confident that any faults in what comes out of the guitar are mine - not the guitar's. I like it that I have no excuses, that is what makes me strive to play better.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
4 Jan 2014 - 9:24 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

StrayCat
StrayCat  1014489 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
4 Jan 2014 - 9:29 PM

What kind of music do you enjoy playing Lemmy?

deavilin
deavilin  10322 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
4 Jan 2014 - 9:44 PM

I gave up on the PC and bit the bullet and got a 27" mac not looked back since, a bit odd to start with but you get some tuition with the mac to get you going. I had so many probs with the PC with attacks etc I had had enoughSmile
Only problem is if you have PS for the PC it won't work on the Mac you have to upgrade that is a hard pill to swallow adobe are money grabbing ..........s !
Good luck with you search

Charlotte

keithh
keithh  1022799 forum posts Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
4 Jan 2014 - 9:52 PM

Quote: . Can someone explain to me the point of buying a quality camera for hundreds if not thousands of pounds and then editing and viewing the results on a second rate monitor?

I bet that there are far more Dell monitors in use by 'professional' photographers than there are Eizo.

lemmy
4 Jan 2014 - 9:58 PM

Quote: What kind of music do you enjoy playing Lemmy?

Jazzy, folky, but especially blues John Lee Hooker style. I've just learned Angie (Anji?), the Davy Graham classic. I play Windy and Warm by John D. Loudermilk and I have a neat arrangement of Paul McCartney's Blackbird, shown to me by the maestro himself!

I struggle with Lullaby of Birdland and started learning 'Willow Weep For Me'. I also have a life long love of Flamenco but I don't even try to play that except in the most simplified forms. Steely Dan, Miles Davis, Bach, Neil Young, Ravel and Satie are the soundtracks of my life but.....no point in trying to play them at my level.

I'm 70 years old next birthday and in the years since I retired with music and photography I can honestly say that boredom is a stranger to me. The two disciplines are so closely aligned, a blend of artistic and technical which new technology has harnessed and opened up to so many people.

StrayCat
StrayCat  1014489 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
4 Jan 2014 - 10:23 PM

Lemmy, that's all very interesting. I have been doing photography for only 10 years, but I've played music all my life, mainly guitar. As a teenager, I played in 4 bands, one of which had a weekly one-hour radio program. I was 68 last month, and like you, I don't know the word boredom; I just entered my 10th year of retirement, 40 years as an airline pilot.

I'm sure you've heard of Hank Williams, an old-time Country and Western legend who wrote many songs during his relatively short lifetime. Several years ago, Roy Clarke, a guitarist, mostly country, and Joe Pass, who at the time was about a month away from death from cancer, and was a legendary jazz guitarist, were brought together to do a tribute album of Hank's songs. They're all on youtube, and clips are well worth listening to and watching.

Skeet1Away
4 Jan 2014 - 11:21 PM

I've bought and built my own pcs for years and fixed to much to remember. Yes getting one done for you is a great idea.....but slim back a little and spend some money on a good monitor. Along the road over the years fixing problems for other people I've seen the strangest things. It the owner most of the time thats the problem. If you want to know what I think about mac, well I bought one. Yes they cost more and yes you can get more bang for your buck on a self build. I was blown away with it. I don't like Mac OS so am running windows 7 on it. Sits very well and have had it running for 4 months now.

All I will say is stay within budget......

Paul.

Last Modified By Skeet1Away at 4 Jan 2014 - 11:23 PM
lemmy
5 Jan 2014 - 11:15 AM

Quote: 'm sure you've heard of Hank Williams

Sure have. I really enjoyed that, I love Joe Pass. I knew of Roy Clarke but hadn't heard much. What a player! Also fascinating that although he's playing full blown jazz versions of the song, you can still hear the country in his playing.

Here's one of my relaxed style favourites - Leo Kottke, Chet Atkins and Doc Watson just having a knockabout in a backroom.

Better stop doing this now before a b********g from admin!

KenTaylor
KenTaylor e2 Member 92972 forum postsKenTaylor vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
5 Jan 2014 - 8:17 PM

From a PC to a Guitar, whatever next Smile

samueldilworth

Anyone who buys a ready-made guitar is a sucker and dupe. You can make one in your garage for half the price in under a year!

lemmy
5 Jan 2014 - 9:46 PM

Quote: Anyone who buys a ready-made guitar is a sucker and dupe. You can make one in your garage for half the price in under a year!

You saw Joe Pass playing a Gibson so he's a sucker and a dupe? Who are you?

thewilliam
5 Jan 2014 - 9:55 PM

Quote: Anyone who buys a ready-made guitar is a sucker and dupe. You can make one in your garage for half the price in under a year!

If anybody who buys a nice DSLR can become a professional photographer straight away, samueldilworth must surely be telling the truth!

Last Modified By thewilliam at 5 Jan 2014 - 9:56 PM
samueldilworth

I was only joking, lemmy. Do you want me to explain it too? Itís not very funny, granted.

Jestertheclown
5 Jan 2014 - 10:10 PM

Quote: If anybody who buys a nice DSLR can become a professional photographer straight away

. . . you mean you can't?

lemmy
6 Jan 2014 - 3:29 PM

Quote: I was only joking, lemmy. Do you want me to explain it too? Itís not very funny, granted.

Sorry if I'm having a humour failure - I must be missing something (not unknown Blush)

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.