Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Time for an overhaul

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Attention!

This topic is locked.
Reason: Point received
User_Removed
7 Feb 2013 - 8:54 AM

Joking in the the new feature thread about how bad ePz search is but it really needs looking at.

If I do a search of the forum for the phrase "new feature" this is what I see

2.jpg

So click to search by date because relevance isn't quite cutting it and get this:

3.jpg

So leave the site and head to Google because ePz Search is BAD!!

1.jpg

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
7 Feb 2013 - 8:54 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53509 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
7 Feb 2013 - 9:20 AM

Google provide a onsite search feature too to plug into your site if you want to - some sites use it as it saves them developing a search themselves.
But like you i use a combination of mostly epZ search and google if that fails.

I also use the epz quick link feature for things i think i'll want to come back to.
Also i use the favourites with categories for images that i think are excellent examples of any area i'm interested in.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
davidburleson
davidburleson ePHOTOzine Staff 72299 forum postsdavidburleson vcard United Kingdom
7 Feb 2013 - 9:31 AM

Hi Chris,

I guess the real question is, what did you expect when searching 'new feature'? The search takes into account alot of relevancy and matching (ie: how often the keyword is used within a topic) and then uses that to determine how well matched it is to the search term.

While using Google's site search instead of our own could provide more accurate results (as they are google, its their job), it doesn't provide the flexibility, categorising and display that we would like. For instance, you couldn't just search the forums, or just the gallery, just the reviews. etc. I'd also like to add while some tweaks may seem like they work for some searches, they may not be ideal for other searches. For example, you may be looking for the most recent mentions of 'new features' so giving more priority to newer stuff makes sense. However, there are some occasions where the most relevant data is older content. So, content is more important than date. I'm sure you can see how its not an easy or strait forward solution to this problem.

However, we are always looking for ways to improve the site and will look into this matter further to see what steps can be done to improve it.

Last Modified By davidburleson at 7 Feb 2013 - 9:39 AM
User_Removed
7 Feb 2013 - 9:53 AM

Quote: what did you expect when searching 'new feature

When searching the forum for the phrase "new feature" I expected it to find the current hot topic where people are talking about and guessing at ePz's new feature.

Quote: For instance, you couldn't just search the forums

Don't want to tell you how to suck eggs but Yes you can

(search term new feature site:ephotozine.com inurl:forums)

Last Modified By User_Removed at 7 Feb 2013 - 9:54 AM
lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014002 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
7 Feb 2013 - 10:00 AM

Copying Petes comments from the other thread:

Quote: Google probably have a team of web developers working on it. We don't have that luxury. This is the first example anyone's shown where it really does fail. Having said that this thread was result five so it could have been found easily, and that's what I've always found since we made the search last time - I can find things. But we cant compete with Google. Having a third party search is one answer - similarly it could have been for forums, gallery, in fact probably the whole site, but we chose to develop a custom built product .

"We can't compete with Google" - so why bother? Just wondering what it is felt that the site search gives us that using a 3rd party search wouldn't ?

User_Removed
7 Feb 2013 - 10:07 AM

I agree, why compete with Google when you can integrate Google.

User_Removed
7 Feb 2013 - 10:13 AM

Quote: This is the first example anyone's shown where it really does fail

It's terrible, try searching for Christmas Competition and be amazed at results like "How to take better photos of your pets"

David, perhaps you should change it so it looks for phrase by default?

paulcookphotography

Is the search feature such a big issue?

In the last 3 or so years of me being on EPZ i dont think i've actually had to use it. I'd much rather see new features added than time and resources being put into something that (IMO) is not that important

JJGEE
JJGEE  96205 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
7 Feb 2013 - 11:01 AM

Quote: i dont think i've actually had to use it.

I hardly use an index in a book.

BUT, it is damn useful when I want to find something specific and cannot remember which chapter / page it is on ! !

paulcookphotography

Quote: i dont think i've actually had to use it.
I hardly use an index in a book.

BUT, it is damn useful when I want to find something specific and cannot remember which chapter / page it is on ! !

True, but as i said, i have successfully used and enjoyed the site over the last 3 years and managed to find things i was looking for so i dont see an improved search function as being something that will 'wow' new users or attract more. If the publisher of your favourite book re-worked its index would you rush out to get a new copy? Or would you prefer a new chapter/story?

User_Removed
7 Feb 2013 - 11:51 AM

Yeah, let's leave it broke because Paul doesn't really use it. Let's wow new users by developing more things like the popular Versus mode rather than make the existing site better.

Quote: i dont see an improved search function as being something that will 'wow' new users or attract more

Do you know how many new users come to the site and search for something they want to learn about then when they get completely irrelevant results leave and go to another site?

Last Modified By User_Removed at 7 Feb 2013 - 11:52 AM
779HOB
779HOB  2998 forum posts United Kingdom
7 Feb 2013 - 11:59 AM

Quote: Do you know how many new users come to the site and search for something they want to learn about then when they get completely irrelevant results leave and go to another site?

Just a thought but I reckon new people looking for something they want to learn will find the site because they first searched for that thing on Google and then visited here based on that Google search. That's how I found the site.

JJGEE
JJGEE  96205 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
7 Feb 2013 - 12:01 PM

Quote: Do you know how many new users come to the site and search for something they want to learn about then when they get completely irrelevant results leave and go to another site?

That is a very good observation / point.
And it is not only new users, I am guilty of that from time to time !

paulcookphotography

Quote: Yeah, let's leave it broke because Paul doesn't really use it. Let's wow new users by developing more things like the popular Versus mode rather than make the existing site better.
i dont see an improved search function as being something that will 'wow' new users or attract more
Do you know how many new users come to the site and search for something they want to learn about then when they get completely irrelevant results leave and go to another site?

I didnt say dont fix it, but with the announcement of a 'new feature' the last thing that was on my list would be to fix a search function. After all, this site (or any book) is not about how good its index is, it's about its content

Also, did Pete or anyone say it was going to be a new Versus mode, or are we just going to attack anything new for the sake of it?

Last Modified By paulcookphotography at 7 Feb 2013 - 12:18 PM
digicammad
digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
7 Feb 2013 - 12:18 PM

I have to add myself to those who wish the search function was better. I normally try to find out if a subject has been discussed before opening a new thread but usually give up in frustration and either start the new thread or resort to Google, which takes me to sites other than ePz.

Integrating the Google search would be a massive improvement and the functionality is there to make sure it is as flexible as epZ would like it (as per Chris' example)

Ian

Attention!

This topic is locked.
Reason: Point received