Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Time for an overhaul

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Attention!

This topic is locked.
Reason: Point received
adrian_w
adrian_w e2 Member 63272 forum postsadrian_w vcard Scotland4 Constructive Critique Points
7 Feb 2013 - 1:26 PM

Quote: I have to add myself to those who wish the search function was better. I normally try to find out if a subject has been discussed before opening a new thread but usually give up in frustration

+1

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
7 Feb 2013 - 1:26 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mikehit
mikehit  46104 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
7 Feb 2013 - 2:05 PM

What would it take for an 'advanced search' where you can search for multiple words or whole phrases and/or poster name and/or date? Would that have to go through Google?

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
User_Removed
7 Feb 2013 - 2:07 PM

Quote: I didnt say dont fix it, but with the announcement of a 'new feature' the last thing that was on my list would be to fix a search function.

Nothing to do with the new feature, just search was mentioned in that topic and it's been an issue for a long time.

Quote: After all, this site (or any book) is not about how good its index is, it's about its content[

No good if you can't find the content? Perhaps that's why one of the world's most popular websites is an index called Google.

Quote: did Pete or anyone say it was going to be a new Versus mode

I never said anyone did, I mention it sarcastically because ePz spent loads of time to develop that (without asking members if they wanted it) rather than fix existing problems like the poor search.
I've tried looking for my own created topics before and despite knowing the title can't find them with the search function and they've disappeared from recent activity. I've done it knowing there's a link or answer to some poor guy's immediate problem, frustrated I've learned how to manipulate Google to do my bidding on ePz til they fix the thing.

paulcookphotography

Quote:
No good if you can't find the content? Perhaps that's why one of the world's most popular websites is an index called Google.

Last i checked this was a photography website and forum and not a search engine. Every day that i visit the site i regularly see new content whether its reviews, techniques or forum debates without having to use a search tool. Yes, the search doesn't work great, but it doesn't stop you, me or anyone else from enjoying the site. We have all managed to live with it so far - it just takes a bit of manual searching and a little perseverance

I understand that for some a search function may be the maker or breaker in the decision to use (or stay with) ePhotozine, but there's also a lot of people who like to see new features (whether we have asked for them specifically or not). It keeps things fresh and attracts interest

User_Removed
7 Feb 2013 - 11:07 PM

Quote: Last i checked this was a photography website and forum and not a search engine

Crazy isn't it? Those idiots at eBay, Facebook and Amazon also have search on their sites, someone should tell them they aren't search engines and that nobody wants to search websites the dumbasses.
Why are you so against those of us who use the search function and would like it to be better?

Last Modified By User_Removed at 7 Feb 2013 - 11:14 PM

Attention!

This topic is locked.
Reason: Point received