Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Time laps photography

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    tomcat606
    tomcat606 e2 Member 597 forum poststomcat606 vcard
    3 Oct 2012 - 10:31 AM

Hi all
    Iím going to try some time laps photography over the next month after watching Gavin Howie on you tube recently and wondered if anyone can help regarding CF Card size. I have a Nikon D300 and intend to shoot in raw to get maybe 800-900 shots over a session as Mr Howie's clip'. Can anyone help or have experience of time laps photography

Thanks for any info Steve
    Wink

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    3 Oct 2012 - 10:31 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cameracat
    cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
    3 Oct 2012 - 11:05 AM

Quote: regarding CF Card size. I have a Nikon D300

If your camera has SD as well as CF slots, You might want to consider SD types, More capacity size wise at much lower prices......Smile

RAW images at 12/14 bit ( No Compression ) vary in size by content/scene etc.

On average a 12 Mega Pix camera such as the D300, Should get at least 300 images per 8Gb of storage ( That's approximate + or - 10/20 ) .........!!!

So to guarantee space for 1000 images or so, You might well need a 32Gb card, These are very expensive in CF format, Hence my suggestion to use a combo of SD & CF.

16Gb SD's are very cheap, Look around at My Memory for example, They are doing own brand 32Gb SD's for silly money.....Grin

Good luck
    Wink

monstersnowman
    3 Oct 2012 - 12:59 PM

'Lapse' :0)

JackAllTog
    JackAllTog e2 Member 53672 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
    3 Oct 2012 - 2:56 PM

Or you could shoot at a lower than full resolution, or just in jpeg etc. to keep files smaller.

newfocus
    newfocus  8644 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    3 Oct 2012 - 4:34 PM

I've been doing a bit of time lapse over the last year or so.

Usually, I shoot RAW at reduced 2784x1856 resolution on a bunch of 8GB cards. This gives around 700 shots per card, which is just under 30 seconds footage at 25 frames per second playback, (that kind of length of clip is plenty in practice). You can also do three-shot HDR images for 10s of footage at that size, which is a bit tight but usable (I'd prefer a larger card for that).

The 2784x1856 format allows a bit of headroom to shink or crop to 1080p format, which is about as big as is practical to edit on a 'normal' computer. If you're thinking of doing something like shooting in high res raw to produce 4K video, you'll probably be looking for a proper workstation-type machine with bags of RAM in order to make editing bearable. Remember you're essentially processing batches of hundreds of raw images.

I'm happy to share info on shooting/workflow/processing if you have any questions on getting started.

tomcat606
    tomcat606 e2 Member 597 forum poststomcat606 vcard
    3 Oct 2012 - 9:06 PM

Thanks for your help all ' well nearly all. 'O it's hard to be humble when your perfect in every way

Wink

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.