Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Time to make some money!

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014786 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
1 Feb 2013 - 10:32 AM

If I ever do an exhibition again, I'll certainly make sure I get some proper PR for it - get the right people to see it, free booze etc.

Just shoving pictures on walls didn't work - I just ended up with lots of stock hanging around. It's in business centres and pubs mainly now - just occasionally selling.

All raises awareness and if I see it as part of the marketing budget, it's doing it's job.

But exhibitions with the intention of making money have to be planned.... as I've learned Wink

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
1 Feb 2013 - 10:32 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110235 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
1 Feb 2013 - 11:41 AM

Quote: But exhibitions with the intention of making money have to be planned.... as I've learned

Oh Yes! Wink

and I reckon to need at least a 3 month lead time, ideally 6 months (deep in the final throes of getting one set-up starting on March 2nd and it always amazes me how the little bits of detail work takes almost as long as getting the layout planned + images printed and framed)

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110235 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
1 Feb 2013 - 2:23 PM

I've just looked back, we were first invited to submit a proposal for this exhibition in Sept 2011 - doesn't time fly! Smile

Last Modified By brian1208 at 1 Feb 2013 - 2:24 PM
ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014786 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
1 Feb 2013 - 4:21 PM

Picking the shots and framing and installing can be done in a week if you get your arse in gear (I know, I've done it) - but getting the right people there is the key...

Business centres love putting them on... sold, oooh, 0 worth so far

brian1208
1 Feb 2013 - 5:22 PM

Quote: Picking the shots and framing and installing can be done in a week if you get your arse in gear (I know, I've done it) -

Blinmy Ade, I don't know what you're on but can you send me a bottle please Wink

Quote: but getting the right people there is the key...

Yup

ade_mcfade
2 Feb 2013 - 12:20 PM

It's not hard

1 - Choose shots and get them printed
2 - take to framers
3 - collect from framers
4 - take to venue
5 - install

brian1208
2 Feb 2013 - 12:45 PM

When we hire our local gallery its like that Ade, except in the main I print them myself (except for the "Biggies) but for the larger exhibitions there are always a few more steps such as:

- make the initial pitch to the gallery
- submit a proposal + portfolio of work in support
- have several discussions with the gallery owner(s) to refine the proposal
- sort out T&Cs
- write artist statements and attach CV
- get it approved then go and measure up gallery and agree facilities needed
- start sorting images + produce new ones to meet the brief
- sort out publicity shots (if I'm lucky the gallery handle the subsequent publicity)
- if not, produce publicity materials, contact the relevant agencies, blag as much free advertising as possible
- produce layouts for the gallery deciding on which are going to be the major and minor images and how the images are going to flow around the walls (I find that having a detailed layout in advance saves a heck of a lot of time on hanging day)
- get all the images together, sort out pricing, stock lists and labelling
- produce "Photographers Notes" for the viewers to take round with them as they view the pics
- sort out pre-view party details and order food and drink
- send out invites

and finally - bung it all up on the wall!

ade_mcfade
2 Feb 2013 - 1:07 PM

Actually - the one I did in Abbot Hall, Kendal was like that.... the others were dead simple though.

To be honest - I can't really see myself doing another one in the near future, they're good for kudos and now I can say I've had 5 or 6 exhibitions on my website.... Wink no need to go through the expense again

brian1208
2 Feb 2013 - 1:40 PM

Funny how different areas seem to produce different result isn't it Ade.

I find that, so far, my exhibitions down here have all produced very good returns on time and money invested, the last one pulled in around 1500 in a week, the one I'm setting up at the mo runs for a month, so here's hoping.

(At the other end of the time scale are the craft market displays, pack the car the night before, arrive at 8 in the morning, erect display stands, hang around 20 framed pics, put out browser pics, set up table display, cards, small mounted pics etc, have bacon bap at about 9.30 and the punters come in at 10. Reverse the process at 5 and home for tea by 6, knackered - I'm cutting back on these this year, I'm getting too old Wink )

TETRAGRAMATON
4 Feb 2013 - 10:01 PM

I never was brave enough to organize something like expedition, it look quiet expensive to set up. For example I was looking how much was to hire place like OXO tower http://www.coinstreet.org/ ... so I decided to better spend the money on traveling and building a portfolio. And also as @ade_mcfade mentioned above the best thing we can do, as photographers, is to get the right people to do the right job (PR agents etc.) ... other ways, to make business out of your photography will be a thought job as everyone here knows Wink

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.