Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

time to replace

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

timbo
timbo  12591 forum posts United Kingdom
13 Aug 2012 - 2:48 PM

My Pc has all but had it so need to look for a replacement. Bought this one from Mesh about 4 years ago and it has worked well but i think i heard somewhere that they've been through so difficulties so want to look around a bit.
Any recommendations (and please don't say mac, i'm happy with pc)

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
13 Aug 2012 - 2:48 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
13 Aug 2012 - 3:30 PM

Can't really give specific recommendations as I don't know what you use your computer for.

For example, the best spec for photo-processing would be completely different than the best spec for games. For photo-processing you want a fast processor and lots of fast RAM whereas for games and video you want a powerful graphics card.

If you are just going to use it for, say, Lightroom and Photoshop, etc., then look at an i7 quad core processor and 16 Gb of fast DDR RAM. Choose your HDD size according to whether you normally use C: or an series of external drives for storage and back-up. A lot of the superb independent builders you will find on eBay (or Google) allow you to build up your own specification online to suit your own needs. Allow about 600 for the system box and then anything up to another 600 for a decent monitor.

Last Modified By User_Removed at 13 Aug 2012 - 3:31 PM
mikehit
mikehit  56457 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
13 Aug 2012 - 3:40 PM

I like Dell machines and bought an XPS about a year ago - i5 processor, 1.5TB disc, iGB graphics card and 6MB RAM for about 650. This seems enough for LR4+Elements 9. Prices seem to have come down a bit since then, but there are several companies in the frame. I went for Dell because of their stability as a company.

As for screens, I bought the Dell Ultrasharp 2410 for about 200 on the recommendation of a professional photo retoucher and am very happy with it.

If you want maximum flexibility (or are short of space), you could buy a high-powered laptop and a screen - the latter for when you want to do detailed edits and you can just plug the laptop into it.

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53626 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
13 Aug 2012 - 4:02 PM

The only reason to Delay Upgrading just yet might be the release of Windows 8 (unless you are are a MAC user).
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-18896571 26 October.

You would have to wait for W8 machines to drop their initial premium and for Adobe etc to say that elements/LR/PS all work on W8.
Of you may prefer to look for deals as vendors shift older W7 machines in Sales as W8 gets released?

puertouk
puertouk  21072 forum posts United Kingdom17 Constructive Critique Points
13 Aug 2012 - 4:24 PM

Have a machine purpose built to your spec or get unbiased advice on the setup you require. I take it you want to use the PC for photography, so you need an Intel Core i7 3.5 GHz Processor (Amazon 247) + a minimum of 16GB DDR Ram. You also need a good motherboard to run all this on. I also recommend you get a Crucial SSD drive, minimum 256GB + 2TB hard drive + 2TB external hard drive. You can also get the builder of the PC to boost the processor as well, to make the machine even faster, but I would recommend you get the PC water cooled.
Stephen

Mayfly
Mayfly  9485 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
13 Aug 2012 - 6:42 PM

I have been building Pc's for myself for the last 15 years. I run CS5 on a core 2 duo 2.6ghz with 4gb ram and use a 7200 rpm drive a a scratch disk. I Process 16 bit files from a D300 and have no problems whatsoever. As always when upgrading or replacing a PC it's always a case of trying to second guess whats around the corner so It's a fine balancing act between price / performance.A fast hard disk and plenty of ram will gain you more than going for the fastest cpu with regard to photo editing.

Andy.

mikehit
mikehit  56457 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
13 Aug 2012 - 8:36 PM

Quote: Have a machine purpose built to your spec or get unbiased advice on the setup you require. I take it you want to use the PC for photography, so you need an Intel Core i7 3.5 GHz Processor (Amazon 247) + a minimum of 16GB DDR Ram. You also need a good motherboard to run all this on. I also recommend you get a Crucial SSD drive, minimum 256GB + 2TB hard drive + 2TB external hard drive. You can also get the builder of the PC to boost the processor as well, to make the machine even faster, but I would recommend you get the PC water cooled.
Stephen

That's all a bit extreme unless you know timbo's workload. I find i5 processor and 6MB RAM quite sufficient for me on LR4.

Jestertheclown
13 Aug 2012 - 8:54 PM

Quote: That's all a bit extreme unless you know timbo's workload.

I use an old Dell with XP and 2gb. of RAM.

Admittedly, it's not the fastest thing in the world but it is surprisingly quick and it allows me to use Lightroom (3.6) and Photoshop CS6 and/or CS5 simultaneously without a problem.

MrGoatsmilk
13 Aug 2012 - 9:54 PM

I'm running cs5 on an intel quad core with 4gb ram on 32bit xp no problems at all with RAW files from 40D or 5D MkII, the previous dual core also did a very good job. I never find myself needing any more speed.

You don't need to spend a fortune at all to run photoshop, Lightroom etc without any probs

HTH

Stu

Recently edited a friends D800 file on it no probs with that either

Last Modified By MrGoatsmilk at 13 Aug 2012 - 9:55 PM
JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53626 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
13 Aug 2012 - 9:57 PM

I'm running LR4 & Elements 10 on a cheap 4 year old laptop, its 64 bit abd 8G ram. a faster disk may help me though.

Railcam
Railcam  7475 forum posts Scotland
14 Aug 2012 - 9:23 AM

Earlier this year I bought an Arbico PC. I chose one of their standard machines and made a few changes. It is an quad core i7 processor, 8Gb of Kingston 1666 DDR RAM running Windows 7 Professional 64 bit. Lightroom 4.1 flies.

Whilst I have no relationship with Arbico, they kept me informed of build/test progress, delivered when they said they would and a telephone query was answered by a technician in the UK, who walked me through the procedure. He even followed it up with an "is everything now OK?" e-mail which was a pleasant surprise.

The machine has been faultless.

Worth a look at their site.

thewilliam
14 Aug 2012 - 10:39 AM

Quote: My Pc has all but had it so need to look for a replacement. Bought this one from Mesh about 4 years ago and it has worked well but i think i heard somewhere that they've been through so difficulties so want to look around a bit.

In what way has your PC "all but had it". Might a repair be more appropriate?

A few weeks back, our local repair-man revived a "dead" PC for us by replacing the power-supply and the total bill was 35.

When my web machine get clogged so that it runs impossibly slowly, I use the factory-restore disk and then reload all the software so that it's returned to it's "new" state. Often, it's the anti-virus software that's causing the problem.

Our imaging machines are never connected to the internet and don't have any anti-virus software, so they have fewer problems.

JackAllTog
14 Aug 2012 - 10:47 AM

A really quick way to improve your PC is to add more memory (up to its limit perhaps 3.2G on a XP PC) - http://www.crucial.com/uk/ will run a system scanner that tells you what memory you can add. Their prices are good too. I use this at work & home quite often.

Also have you done some of the simpler things like defragging your PC if it XP, clearing out old files so there is at least 25% of your disk space free etc.

User_Removed
14 Aug 2012 - 10:47 AM

Quote: My Pc has all but had it so need to look for a replacement. Bought this one from Mesh about 4 years ago and it has worked well but i think i heard somewhere that they've been through so difficulties so want to look around a bit.

In what way has your PC "all but had it". Might a repair be more appropriate?

A few weeks back, our local repair-man revived a "dead" PC for us by replacing the power-supply and the total bill was 35.

When my web machine get clogged so that it runs impossibly slowly, I use the factory-restore disk and then reload all the software so that it's returned to it's "new" state. Often, it's the anti-virus software that's causing the problem.

Our imaging machines are never connected to the internet and don't have any anti-virus software, so they have fewer problems.

I think that those are valid comments for a person or company that has several computers dedicated to specific purposes.

But most of us on this forum are enthusiastic amateur photographers who have to use a single computer for all their data-processing purposes. The range of applications is likely to vary hugely from person to person.

For example, I would hate to still be using the machine that I was using four years ago for processing hundreds of Nikon D800 Raw files in Lightroom 4.1 and Photoshop CS6. On the other hand, my word-processing needs would, if it still existed, be adequately met by the version of Locoscript that came with my Amstrad PCW8256 back about 1984. What I am really saying is that the single-machine user has to use a machine that meets his/her most demanding requirements, even though it may be overkill for other applications.

(By the way, William, how do you avoid you imaging machines ever being connected to the internet. I thought - maybe wrongly - that Adobe software such as modern versions of LR and PS required internet access before they could be registered.)

Last Modified By User_Removed at 14 Aug 2012 - 10:52 AM
User_Removed
14 Aug 2012 - 10:54 AM

....(ran out of editing time on above post) ...and don't they need to be connected to the internet to get automatic updates or notifications of updates and bug fixes?

Last Modified By User_Removed at 14 Aug 2012 - 10:54 AM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.