Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Tips for Beginners

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

boony
boony  7978 forum posts United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
24 May 2007 - 1:58 PM

im not a "beginner"but this forum looks lonely with no posts so i thought i`d throw a comment in. when i was first getting to grips with taknig photos i found it very handy to have a little scrapbook that i could fill with clippings from newspapers and magazines of shots that i found inspiring. i still do this today and when i feel my work has become a bit too stagnant and needs to move in a new or differnet direction out come the scrap books and abracadabra instant inspiration

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
24 May 2007 - 1:58 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

miptog
miptog  83532 forum posts United Kingdom61 Constructive Critique Points
24 May 2007 - 2:09 PM

Focus on understanding good composition and the use of colour, tones and texture rather than worry about the technicalities of the camera. Put the camera either in Auto (A) or Program (P) mode, and use the Scene modes untill you become more familar with the rules of exposure.

Last Modified By miptog at 24 May 2007 - 2:10 PM
boony
24 May 2007 - 2:26 PM

and buy and use a tripod

Last Modified By boony at 24 May 2007 - 2:27 PM
joolsb
joolsb  927115 forum posts Switzerland38 Constructive Critique Points
24 May 2007 - 2:29 PM

Look at lots and lots of pictures from photographers you admire - and some you don't - and try and work out what made you want to look at those particular pictures. Try and analyse how your eye moves around the picture and what causes it to go to certain parts of the scene. Also try and figure out what the photographer did to arrive at the shot in question - what lighting was used, how was it arranged, what colour did it have, what quality (diffuse, soft, harsh, etc.). How about viewpoint? Was the photographer above, below or at the same height as the subject?

This should give you avery good grounding in the aesthetic side - things such as lighting, composition, viewpoint. Then start looking at how to improve the technical side....

Last Modified By joolsb at 24 May 2007 - 2:30 PM
Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 813402 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
24 May 2007 - 2:30 PM

Brownnose to Pete....
;-p

joolsb
joolsb  927115 forum posts Switzerland38 Constructive Critique Points
24 May 2007 - 2:31 PM

Take it from me, that doesn't work.... Wink

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139385 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
24 May 2007 - 2:32 PM

If you are a beginner, you might find it useful to read the seven EPZ Beginners Guides:

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

Part 5

Part 6

Composition

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
stevekhart
24 May 2007 - 4:41 PM

I think we also need a beginners guide to epz to explain a few basics:
- how to start a click thread
- who is boyd and his parentage
- what to do if you don't own a canon or a nikon
- why you should never combine self ports with glamour (and the exceptions under which its allowed)
- what is it about goblets and pixies
I'm sure there's others.

c_evans99
c_evans99  107013 forum posts Wales1 Constructive Critique Points
24 May 2007 - 4:51 PM

and a warning... 'don't ask for equipment advice on the forum unless you have at least £5000 burning a hole in your pocket'

Just Jas
Just Jas  1225727 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
24 May 2007 - 4:56 PM

Ceri has a good point here.

'Digital' means, if you have cash in your pocket:

Dig-it-all out! Smile

jas

User_Removed
24 May 2007 - 5:25 PM

PMSL...

(They say the truth always hurts)

Last Modified By User_Removed at 24 May 2007 - 5:25 PM
cameracat
cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
24 May 2007 - 6:11 PM

Always let a forum posting get at least three usefull & pertinent replies, Before turning it into an off topic free for all comedy sketch Smile

Unless they appear to be self promoting ego trips, Where mayhem is allowed right from the of.

Smile

keith selmes
24 May 2007 - 6:19 PM

just take the lens cap off.
thats all you need to know really.
oh - don't lose it.

boony
24 May 2007 - 6:23 PM

always make sure there is a card/film in the camera BEFORE you start shooting...........

RichardN00
RichardN00 e2 Member 8417 forum postsRichardN00 vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
24 May 2007 - 7:09 PM

If you clearly state in your original post that your budget is X then expect everybody who responds to suggest equipment costing X * 2, the exception being lenses in which case it will be X * 4

Oh and the answer to any studio lighting query will always be Elincrom D-Lite 2 ( or D-Lite 4 if you look rich)

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.