Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Tips for newbie Mac users

CathyT e2
8 7.3k 18 United Kingdom
6 Jan 2012 9:47AM
Notice the 'Light hearted chat'.........

Thought it may be useful to pass on tips for newbie Mac users.

For example....the first time you turn it on and have to follow the onscreen instructions it asks for your e-mail address...don't do what I did and spend 10 mins looking for the '@' symbol on the keyboard ..its moved.

Its on the number 2 key......

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

6 Jan 2012 9:53AM
Always wear clothes underneath otherwise you may get mistaken for a flasher in high winds
sherlob e2
8 2.4k 126 United Kingdom
6 Jan 2012 9:57AM
When changing system settings - don't bother to look for an "apply" or "ok" button to make the change active. It's active already.
sherlob e2
6 Jan 2012 9:58AM
Stuart's talking from personal experience again! Wink
Boyd e2
11 11.2k 11 Wales
6 Jan 2012 9:58AM
Also don't do what Cathy did and spend the first fifteen minutes talking to herself on what she optimistically called the Apple Self Skype facility which she only then later realised was her reflection in the glossy screen.
CathyT e2
8 7.3k 18 United Kingdom
6 Jan 2012 10:00AM
Its my inner budgie......
CathyT e2
8 7.3k 18 United Kingdom
6 Jan 2012 10:03AM
Also......turn ON the flipping firewall.

System Preferences >Security and privacy > Firewall...unlock the lock and turn on> on the Advanced tab click Automatically allow signed software and Enable Stealth Mode....lock.
6 Jan 2012 10:03AM

Quote:Stuart's talking from personal experience again! Wink

It was never proven Smile
JJGEE
9 6.4k 18 England
6 Jan 2012 10:04AM
It does not have drive letters.

e.g.

C
H
Y

etc.
Boyd e2
11 11.2k 11 Wales
6 Jan 2012 10:13AM
⌘ Cmd replaces Ctrl, Option instead of Alt and on the Mac, the backspace key is called Delete. The Delete key deletes from right to left, just like the backspace key.
The keyboard tends to respond a little faster if you wear a black turtle-neck jumper.
joolsb e2
10 27.1k 38 Switzerland
6 Jan 2012 10:18AM
Unlike with Windows, on the Mac most applications stay open even if you close the last open window. If you want to close the application, type Cmd-Q.

It's spelt Mac, not MAC. Smile
6 Jan 2012 10:21AM
install free sophos just to be doubly safe
sherlob e2
6 Jan 2012 10:22AM

Quote:⌘ Cmd replaces Ctrl, Option instead of Alt and on the Mac

That buggers me up still - especially as the Mac keyboard does have a Ctrl key too. I use a lot of keyboard shortcuts and it's a hard habit to break. Especially as I also run windows on the Mac (I'm sorry bt I have to)

On a similar vein: Press Fn and Delete to delete left to right (just like the delete key on a windows machine)
CathyT e2
8 7.3k 18 United Kingdom
6 Jan 2012 11:46AM
You can set your iTunes music as your screen saver.

Apple>System Preference>Desktop and screen saver> Screen Saver> iTunes artwork..........when the screen saver is being used to cancel it tap the space bar.
CathyT e2
8 7.3k 18 United Kingdom
6 Jan 2012 11:56AM
You can add your signature to your PDF documents.

Open PDF> click Annotaions Tool bar> Signature>Create Signature from Face Time Camera........write your signature on paper, hold it up level to the camera and it will take a snapshot ......to add your signature to the PDF just click and drag to enlarge and its done.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.