Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Tips for newbie Mac users

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

CathyT
CathyT e2 Member 87276 forum postsCathyT vcard United Kingdom18 Constructive Critique Points
6 Jan 2012 - 12:08 PM

Place the cursor in the bottom left corner of the screen and it will show all your desktop activity.

Last Modified By CathyT at 6 Jan 2012 - 12:08 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
6 Jan 2012 - 12:08 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mlewis
mlewis  91476 forum posts United Kingdom
6 Jan 2012 - 12:34 PM

Quote: Notice the 'Light hearted chat'.........

Thought it may be useful to pass on tips for newbie Mac users.

For example....the first time you turn it on and have to follow the onscreen instructions it asks for your e-mail address...don't do what I did and spend 10 mins looking for the '@' symbol on the keyboard ..its moved.

Its on the number 2 key......

It would be nice if Apple made a UK layout keyboard instead of forcing US layout ones on us eh?

keith selmes
6 Jan 2012 - 12:55 PM

Does it still have the DVD eject button on the keyboard ?
If so it's definitely worth knowing about.

I'm sure some Apple G5 systems were broken by people trying to get their DVD out.
(The drive opening mechanism was rather complicated and not very strong)

CathyT
CathyT e2 Member 87276 forum postsCathyT vcard United Kingdom18 Constructive Critique Points
6 Jan 2012 - 1:00 PM

OOh...yes it does...good tip.

newfocus
newfocus  8644 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
6 Jan 2012 - 1:11 PM

Quote: Its on the number 2 key...

Just wait until you try to find the # key Smile

(Tip - Alt+3)

NikLG
NikLG  91736 forum posts England
6 Jan 2012 - 1:57 PM

Tip 1 : Try to avoid starting a thread about how you are happy with the fact that you use / have switched to using a Mac.....

And if that can't be avoided, TIP 2 :- remember that there is a 'Hide Topic' option on these forums.

Grin

sherlob
sherlob e2 Member 82325 forum postssherlob vcard United Kingdom125 Constructive Critique Points
6 Jan 2012 - 2:36 PM

In system preferences you can set 'hot corners' (Cathy has mentioned one of these already) - it can be useful to set another corner to put your screen to sleep (note only the screen goes off at this point)

JN_CHATELAIN_PHOTOGRAPHY
6 Jan 2012 - 3:25 PM

Some useful shortcuts: Print: cmd + p
copy: cmd + c
paste: cmd + v
cut: cmd + x
open new Tab: cmd + t
move to trash: cmd + ←

CathyT
25 Jan 2012 - 2:57 PM

Your machine comes with Quick Time Player V10.1.....so if you want to video your screen say...for a tutorial , go to Launch Pad> Quick Time Player> File. New screen recording and it will save in Movies...Also New Movie recording and New audio recording.....

Last Modified By CathyT at 25 Jan 2012 - 2:58 PM
User_Removed
25 Jan 2012 - 4:00 PM

Quote: That buggers me up still - especially as the Mac keyboard does have a Ctrl key too.

Can't you get a util that will remap those keys for you, also a one that would remap the @ key if you prefer it elsewhere?

CathyT
25 Jan 2012 - 5:21 PM

Blimey...I don't believe it...you're being helpful on a Mac topic.............I think I need a lie down.Wink

User_Removed
25 Jan 2012 - 11:01 PM

It was actually one of the many irritations that I couldn't cope with when I was using MacOS. The other was my habit of double-clicking on title bars to maximise windows which has the opposite effect on the Mac. I couldn't find a util, at the time, to solve those problems. There was one shareware program that allowed you to change some of the things but it was $25.

I'll try MacOS again soon but if it annoys me and I can't get it to work to suit me then I'll stop using it.

CathyT
26 Jan 2012 - 11:49 AM

Quote: I'll try MacOS again soon

Can someone pass me a glass of water please......I've come over all funny.Wink

Ridgeway
Ridgeway  7222 forum posts Ireland2 Constructive Critique Points
26 Jan 2012 - 1:43 PM

Its always worth a wander around here,,

new-ish Mac user,,Tongue

answersonapostcard
answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012606 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
3 Feb 2012 - 2:30 PM

Sorry to hijack your thread Cathy but does anyone know whether Macs are energy efficient, I've been told you told need to turn them off when not in use because they use consume so little energy? (Vampire energy?)

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.