Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

tips for shooting in caves

c40uk 1 82 United Kingdom
27 Jun 2013 8:16PM
taking a trip to white scar caves and wanting a few tips ,
gear i will have is
canon 50d tamron f2.8 . 17-50mm and a cheap tripod Sad
i know i will need a longer exposure time but no idea what iso to use .
i`ve looked on there web site n it looks well lite so should i change camera setting to a different light setting ?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

thewilliam 6 4.7k
27 Jun 2013 8:22PM
Many caves are damp or even dripping wet so you'll need to protect your kit.

You'll need a fairly powerful light source, either flash or a very powerful torch that can be used to paint with light. As for exposure, use trial and error because you can always chimp.
keithh e2
10 23.2k 33 Wallis And Futuna
27 Jun 2013 9:04PM
White Scar is a guided tour and they don't allow photography in the large and impressive Battlefield. If you are on a busy batch with a less than helpful guide, you may find photographing what you would like to be a bit hurried and less than ideal.
27 Jun 2013 9:20PM
cheers for that info keith
27 Jun 2013 10:29PM
Try using strong backlighting to emphasize cave wall texture and isolate subjects. You can use flash or longer exposure with LEDs. Then try some weaker front or 3/4 light fill as a starter.... Use a low ISO as you would normally to control noise.... no idea about show caves but a lot dont like tripods so try taking 2 flashes and slaves so that you can backlight effectively - generally without backlight to add contrast to a model cave photographs look very flat...
27 Jun 2013 11:25PM
Oh - should have said - any front lighting you use - make sure it is very off-camera: using the built in flash or a hot shoe mounted flash is a very bad idea - you'll just get loads of back-scatter frum dust and moisture....

You can go a very long way with just backlight and nothing else if you are limited in lighting options....
1 Jul 2013 10:34PM
How did you get on ?
5 Jul 2013 7:14PM
not been yet , but i will post the efforts i make when i get there just want some tips , fore warned is fore armed n all that Wink
5 Jul 2013 9:16PM
A good book (if you are interested or anyone else) is Images Below by Chris Howes....

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.