Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

tips for shooting in caves

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    c40uk
    c40uk e2 Member 182 forum postsc40uk vcard United Kingdom
    27 Jun 2013 - 8:16 PM

taking a trip to white scar caves and wanting a few tips ,
    gear i will have is
    canon 50d tamron f2.8 . 17-50mm and a cheap tripod Sad
    i know i will need a longer exposure time but no idea what iso to use .
    i`ve looked on there web site n it looks well lite so should i change camera setting to a different light setting ?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    27 Jun 2013 - 8:16 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

thewilliam
    27 Jun 2013 - 8:22 PM

Many caves are damp or even dripping wet so you'll need to protect your kit.

You'll need a fairly powerful light source, either flash or a very powerful torch that can be used to paint with light. As for exposure, use trial and error because you can always chimp.

keithh
    keithh e2 Member 1022911 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna31 Constructive Critique Points
    27 Jun 2013 - 9:04 PM

White Scar is a guided tour and they don't allow photography in the large and impressive Battlefield. If you are on a busy batch with a less than helpful guide, you may find photographing what you would like to be a bit hurried and less than ideal.

c40uk
    27 Jun 2013 - 9:20 PM

cheers for that info keith

forestcaver
    27 Jun 2013 - 10:29 PM

Try using strong backlighting to emphasize cave wall texture and isolate subjects. You can use flash or longer exposure with LEDs. Then try some weaker front or 3/4 light fill as a starter.... Use a low ISO as you would normally to control noise.... no idea about show caves but a lot dont like tripods so try taking 2 flashes and slaves so that you can backlight effectively - generally without backlight to add contrast to a model cave photographs look very flat...

forestcaver
    27 Jun 2013 - 11:25 PM

Oh - should have said - any front lighting you use - make sure it is very off-camera: using the built in flash or a hot shoe mounted flash is a very bad idea - you'll just get loads of back-scatter frum dust and moisture....

You can go a very long way with just backlight and nothing else if you are limited in lighting options....

Last Modified By forestcaver at 27 Jun 2013 - 11:26 PM
    forestcaver
    1 Jul 2013 - 10:34 PM

How did you get on ?

c40uk
    5 Jul 2013 - 7:14 PM

not been yet , but i will post the efforts i make when i get there just want some tips , fore warned is fore armed n all that Wink

forestcaver
    5 Jul 2013 - 9:16 PM

A good book (if you are interested or anyone else) is Images Below by Chris Howes....

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.