Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Tips for stained glass

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    camay
    camay  7116 forum posts Scotland3 Constructive Critique Points
    28 Apr 2007 - 7:45 PM

Any tips for photographing stained glass in churches?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    28 Apr 2007 - 7:45 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

miptog
    miptog  83532 forum posts United Kingdom61 Constructive Critique Points
    28 Apr 2007 - 8:10 PM

1. Use spot metering
    2. Expose for highlights
    3. Try and keep the camera as still as possible
    4. Use aperture priority at widest (f 2.8 if poss)
    5. If you really want to experiment try a HDR shot

Mike

culturedcanvas
    28 Apr 2007 - 8:34 PM

HDR Wink

Also I wouldn't shoot at F2.8 .. id stop down a bit to get a sharper F stop on your lens as you will need to retain as much detail as possible. Exposing for the highlights is obviously crucial .. Make sure you check the histogram and ensure that you haven't totally blown the highlight in the shot. This is the only reasonable way to do it ..

That said you can get a totally realistic shot with HDR .. flick back a few pages in my porftolio and you will see a lot of HDR church and stained glass shots.

Dan

Last Modified By Dave at 28 Apr 2007 - 8:36 PM
    fentiger
    fentiger e2 Member 13915 forum postsfentiger vcard England22 Constructive Critique Points
    28 Apr 2007 - 8:46 PM

Is it better to photograph stained glass windows on a bright but overcast day?

camay
    28 Apr 2007 - 8:52 PM

I don't have Photoshop CS, I only have Elements, so I don't think I can do HDR> Can I do something similar in Elements 5?
    My kit lens only stops down to 4 as well, so I'll try it at that.
    An overcast day makes sense, sun shining in the window will make the contrast even greater.

culturedcanvas
    28 Apr 2007 - 9:12 PM

If its a kit lens shoot at about F8 or so .. certainly not wide open .. you can download a trial of HDR at www.hdrsoft.com .. that should provide you with some chances to play with it !!

The photomatix software is very useabl e.. if you need some help PM me and ill give you a quick run through on it.

Correct .. sun shining through will make the contrast worse .. which is why HDR is the better option .... otherwise just bracket either side and use the shot which is best!

Dont make too many harsh adjustments in elements as heavy curve adjustments will lose your shadow detail even further.

Dan

camay
    29 Apr 2007 - 8:42 AM

Thanks folks, I'll give it another try. Yesterday's attempt was a disaster!

redhed17
    redhed17  8640 forum posts England
    29 Apr 2007 - 1:48 PM

I took some pics of the stained glass in the Anglican Cathedral in Liverpool last week, and I went on a sunny day. If the glass has a lot of dense colours, then this could stop a lot of the light, and so lengthen shutter speeds. If you can used a tripod, then slow shutter speeds aren't a problem of course. Wink

Pick a time when the sun is hitting the windows at an angle, as it would be almost impossible to get a usable image with the sun shining directly through the window to your position.

I used the spot meter on a clear, or brightest part of the window. As long as you want the frame to be in silhouette, then you don't need HDR imho. Unless I'm missing something by going the HDR route in this situation of course.

If the windows are very high, as they were when I took my pictures, then get as far away from the windows as your lens allows to minimize distortion. I was happy with my pics, but some are distorted because the windows are massive, although getting as far away as possible helped a lot.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.