Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

To keep or not to keep

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    gary_d
    gary_d e2 Member 6515 forum postsgary_d vcard Wales12 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Apr 2011 - 2:04 PM

I have a Canon 5D2 and use a Canon 100mm 2.8 lens a lot and would like to upgrade to the L version of this lens with is.

Here is my dilemma which I would appreciate your views, when I upgraded to the 5D2 I held on to the 5D as a spare body, but if anything went wrong with the 5D2 I would be taking a backward step in technology term, so am I better off trading in the 5D and my current lens which will go a very long way to funding the new lens.

I have probably answered my own question but would like to know what a few of you think.

Best regards. - gary

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    16 Apr 2011 - 2:04 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Overread
    Overread  63746 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Apr 2011 - 2:58 PM

Out of interest what is it with the 100mm L what you want over the macro lens that you have currently?

Also as for taking a step back with the 5D remember its still an impressive fullframe camera body - ok not as good as the 5DM2 in some respects, but still very much a good performer. Plus if you sell it and the 5DM2 goes wrong you won't have anything to fall back on Wink

gary_d
    gary_d e2 Member 6515 forum postsgary_d vcard Wales12 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Apr 2011 - 3:58 PM

A very good question Alex as the lens is very good indeed, its the lack of is and the fact I take most of my images hand held that is steering me toward the L version.

Your point on the lack of a back up camera is the reason I still have the 5D and my reluctance to part with it.

Thanks for your response. - gary

brian1208
    brian1208 e2 Member 1110152 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Apr 2011 - 4:04 PM

I hate being without a back-up body so would tend to suggest you stick with what you have.

On the other hand, if you use the 100 f2.8 a lot and suffer from lack of IS on it, then I can strongly recommend the 100 2.8 LIS. (They will have to tear mine out of my hands when I'm dead! Wink )

Overread
    Overread  63746 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Apr 2011 - 4:06 PM

Out of interest is it macro shots you're missing with the lack of IS or regular shooting? I'm not trying to make out that IS isn't worth it in a macro lens not that its not worth upgrading for (myself I was aiming for changing my 150mm for the 150mm OS still the disaster in Japan) but sometimes the changing of a method or the addition of something like flash can make a bigger difference.

gary_d
    16 Apr 2011 - 5:15 PM

Yes Alex it is in the macro shots I am missing the is, its when I am out with Patch and really don't want to lug the tripod around and a nice shot appears, obviously if I am out on a dedicated macro project then I use the tripod and my current lens is difficult to fault.

gary

Thincat
    Thincat  7616 forum posts
    16 Apr 2011 - 5:22 PM

The question you need to ask yourself is how often have you used the 5D since you got the MkII - probably not very often since you regard it as "a backward step in technology" which it is. So you're only going to use it if the MkII breaks down. So you have this largely unused camera sitting around and its s/h price is gradually going down. I'd sell it if I were you - it's costing you to keep it. Stick the 5D and the lens on ebay (separately).

As regards IS and macro shots a lot of people say it doesn't help - in fact the Sony manual recommends turning it off. Most of the focus errors occur with longitudinal movement (forward and backwards from the subject) rather than lateral or yaw movements. I still reckon it helps when hand holding and I leave it on.

Last Modified By Thincat at 16 Apr 2011 - 5:26 PM
    gary_d
    16 Apr 2011 - 5:28 PM

Never in fact, its been in storage since my 5D2 arrived.

gary

Perry_95
    Perry_95  359 forum posts Wales1 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Apr 2011 - 5:39 PM

Am only a beginner, but wouldnt it be good to get some insurance or something on your 5DM2 so then that is what you fall back on, then you can simply sell your other body and lense and upgrade to the IS lens? maybe not sensible but i dont know Smile

Coleslaw
    Coleslaw e2 Member 813402 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Apr 2011 - 5:57 PM

Back up body is good to have if you do pay job ie wedding, portrait etc etc and must have at least one that will work at anytime.
    Otherwise, I would part ex it. If your 5d2 fails or broke, you have plenty of time or choice to get another.

Dave_Canon
    16 Apr 2011 - 7:47 PM

Your welcome message suggests that you take photographs purely for pleasure so it is probably unlikely that you would carry a spare camera body just in case. When I bought my 5D2, I kept my 20D but largley because I did not think it was worth selling it but I stopped using it completely. However, I later decided to convert it to IR and it was a great advantage to use a camera where I knew the history. I knew it has less than 15,000 actuations so was well worth investing in. You might consider whether there is any future for your 5D but, if not, it will probably still fetch a good price which might not be the case in a few years. I have never bothered to sell my obsolete cameras and have all the cameras I have owned over the last 35 years which is only five as I make them last.

Dave

gary_d
    16 Apr 2011 - 7:54 PM

You are absolutely correct Dave my photography is for pleasure so i think I am looking at trading in the 5D while the price is still worth doing so, in fact I have an interested party so its working out what is a fair price for both of us is the next question..

gary

lawbert
    lawbert  71684 forum posts England15 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Apr 2011 - 8:01 PM

Perhaps another point to add is that although your getting excellent macro images with the 5D and 5D II and non L version of the 100mm canon macro is...

Your missing out on the crop factor of a body that has the 1.6x crop cmos sensor opposed to a full frame sensor.

If I was you I would sell the 5d and 100mm which would damn near give you enough budget to get a 60d and the 100mm L with a bit of clever shopping Wink

Thincat
    Thincat  7616 forum posts
    17 Apr 2011 - 3:52 PM

Quote: Never in fact, its been in storage since my 5D2 arrived.
    gary

I do exactly the same thing. When I buy a new camera (infrequently) I keep the old one as a backup. I never use the backup, except occasionally I pull it out of the cupboard and try it out on a few test shots. The weird thing is that, while the replacement camera didn't seem that much of an improvement over the old camera when I bought it - in fact the improvement is usually a bit disappointing - when I try the old camera after using its replacement it now seems slow and clunky. Then I ebay it - and get a fraction of the price I could have got before it was 2 generations out of date.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.