Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

To sign or not to sign?

wenzu78 2 7 Malta
14 Nov 2012 9:34PM
Yep that is the question... Wink

Recently I've come across a post on a particular picture over here which stated that one shouldn't put a sign on the pictures.

What's best to do as I notice many users who actually do add a name in one corner of each upload?

I would appreciate your views as am only a beginner at this and would really like to start off on the right foot.

Thank you very much for your time.

Regards

wenzu

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

KNS 5 106 2 United Kingdom
14 Nov 2012 9:43PM
No-one has carte blanche on such matters, if you want to stamp your images do so, if not don't Smile anyone does not like it, sorry but it's their problem, not yours.....we stamp all of our images.
MacroMeister 2 62 4 United Kingdom
14 Nov 2012 9:55PM
I'm definitely going to start doing this. I wake up every morning and forget who I am. Then when I go to my PC and look at some images I think 'Hmmm, I seem to recognize that shot..." If I had my name on them all, I'd know they were mine!!! (insert non-existent rolleyes smilie here)
User_Removed 10 17.9k 8 Norway
14 Nov 2012 9:59PM
By 'Stamp' I assume you mean plastering an image details which, can be done well - or (as is the usual case I find) - very badly.

One of my personal 'pet hates' is seeing a superb image on a website that is totally ruined by the ownership 'banner' emblazoned across it..

(The image is useless commercially to any person saving it and attempting to reproduce it.)

Put your notice on your image if it gives you 'peace of mind' BUT...

Do it in consideration of your work I would council.
MacroMeister 2 62 4 United Kingdom
14 Nov 2012 10:00PM

Quote:By 'Stamp' I assume you mean plastering an image details which, can be done well - or (as is the usual case I find) - very badly.

One of my personal 'pet hates' is seeing a superb image on a website that is totally ruined by the ownership 'banner' emblazoned across it..

(The image is useless commercially to any person saving it and attempting to reproduce it.)

+1
14 Nov 2012 10:03PM

Quote:By 'Stamp' I assume you mean plastering an image details which, can be done well - or (as is the usual case I find) - very badly.

Well, yes the image would be useless to anyone trying to save it and use it commercially. Isn't that the point really? Of course, the owner of the image would have the original un-watermarked image on his/her hard-drive if anyone needed to purchase it
Jestertheclown 6 6.6k 242 England
14 Nov 2012 10:26PM
The choice is yours.
If you choose to add one, most of us don't take much notice of logos etc. unless they obscure half of the image.
One or two others will treat you as if you've committed the photographic crime of the century.
After all, it's your image; you can do as you please.
As for the images being useless for commercial purposes, that's only partly true. Low res. images, as you'd upload to here, might not be much use if you want to reproduce them on the side of a bus but they're perfectly OK for use on other websites or reproduced at a small size on leaflets or similar.
And it's quite possible to produce a respectable A4 print from a 1000px. image. Even, I imagine, one downloaded from here if it's of reasonable quality.
wenzu78 2 7 Malta
15 Nov 2012 8:08AM
Thank you very much guys for all your input on this issue.

Regards to all.

wenzu

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.