Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

To Snap or not to Snap ?

SlowSong Plus
6 5.1k 29 England
9 Nov 2012 8:21AM
I've often called myself a snapper, and take snaps. Even on here! Grin
I don't care what people call me as long as it's true and not libellous. You can't get hung up on silly names.
x

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

franken Plus
12 3.5k 4 Wales
9 Nov 2012 8:25AM
It obviously doesn't bother these: Smile

http://www.snapsphotoservices.com/
Gaucho Plus
13 2.6k 2 France
9 Nov 2012 8:54AM
Tog. Is it ever used outside of epz? I don't recall having come across the term other than on here.
sausage 10 321 United Kingdom
9 Nov 2012 9:00AM
Well I'm not sure what the meaning is on here but the term TOG came to light on Terry Wogan's breakfast show on Radio 2. It was 'Terry's Old Geezers'.
franken Plus
12 3.5k 4 Wales
9 Nov 2012 9:04AM
It's used a lot; here's a few examples:

http://www.purestorm.com/forum/readThread.aspx?id=153626
Stillbase 3 66 Wales
9 Nov 2012 9:36AM
Being called a photographer embarases me - I prefer "snapper".
JackAllTog Plus
6 4.1k 58 United Kingdom
9 Nov 2012 9:43AM
I first heard the word Tog in a the context of describing a close knit group of competent photographers, so I quite liked it for that reason. To me its an inclusive term of people who are comfortable with what they do and associate together to produce good photographs - almost as a professional body or group.
Snapper, to me means an occasional individual who takes snaps.
Photographer, to me means a business based photographer with a professional subject area focus.
Paparazzi, means some one who enjoys the chase and the scoop more than that of a photographic journalist.

Most of these terms can be used in either a positive or negative way.
GlennH 10 1.9k 1 France
9 Nov 2012 9:44AM
'Snap' is shortened from 'snap shot', which in turn was an old 19th century hunting term. It has provenance!

Tog irritates me, but it's got nothing to do with it being derogatory and everything to do with the fact that it seems like lazy txt spk. Various photographic words are at the other end of the scale for me: I only reluctantly write 'bokeh' or 'image'.
JohnParminter 8 1.3k 14 England
9 Nov 2012 9:56AM

Quote:After practising your skills and honing your talents for many a year is the term snapper offensive to you ?

No, it keeps me firmly grounded in my ability.
thewilliam 6 5.2k
9 Nov 2012 10:12AM
I'd reserve the term "photographer" for somebody who has proven skill or qualifications in photography.

Lesser mortals are "snappers".
GlennH 10 1.9k 1 France
9 Nov 2012 10:21AM
Isn't there a danger when you attach importance to these words—especially when you deem yourself worthy of a certain label—that the net result may very well be apathy and overconfidence?
SlowSong Plus
6 5.1k 29 England
9 Nov 2012 10:32AM

Quote:Lesser mortals are "snappers".
Handbags at dawn! Grin
mattw 11 5.2k 10 United Kingdom
9 Nov 2012 11:26AM
I find the term 'snapper' mildly patronizing - but its a term used by people who are not photographers so I try not to take it personally.

'Tog' I find lazy and inelegant.
SlowSong Plus
6 5.1k 29 England
9 Nov 2012 12:22PM

Quote:Tog' I find lazy and inelegant.
Ooops, that's me told then. Grin
digicammad 12 22.0k 37 United Kingdom
9 Nov 2012 12:51PM
I use tog sometimes when typing because it is a lot quicker than photographer (and less likely to be misspelled). I also use it when drunk and unable to say photographer.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.