Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

To Snap or not to Snap ?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64539 forum postsSlowSong vcard England29 Constructive Critique Points
9 Nov 2012 - 8:21 AM

I've often called myself a snapper, and take snaps. Even on here! Grin
I don't care what people call me as long as it's true and not libellous. You can't get hung up on silly names.
x

Last Modified By SlowSong at 9 Nov 2012 - 8:21 AM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
9 Nov 2012 - 8:21 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

franken
franken e2 Member 123176 forum postsfranken vcard Wales4 Constructive Critique Points
9 Nov 2012 - 8:25 AM

It obviously doesn't bother these: Smile

http://www.snapsphotoservices.com/

Gaucho
Gaucho e2 Member 122311 forum postsGaucho vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
9 Nov 2012 - 8:54 AM

Tog. Is it ever used outside of epz? I don't recall having come across the term other than on here.

sausage
sausage  10257 forum posts United Kingdom
9 Nov 2012 - 9:00 AM

Well I'm not sure what the meaning is on here but the term TOG came to light on Terry Wogan's breakfast show on Radio 2. It was 'Terry's Old Geezers'.

franken
franken e2 Member 123176 forum postsfranken vcard Wales4 Constructive Critique Points
9 Nov 2012 - 9:04 AM

It's used a lot; here's a few examples:

http://www.purestorm.com/forum/readThread.aspx?id=153626

Last Modified By franken at 9 Nov 2012 - 9:05 AM
Stillbase
Stillbase  362 forum posts Wales
9 Nov 2012 - 9:36 AM

Being called a photographer embarases me - I prefer "snapper".

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53672 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
9 Nov 2012 - 9:43 AM

I first heard the word Tog in a the context of describing a close knit group of competent photographers, so I quite liked it for that reason. To me its an inclusive term of people who are comfortable with what they do and associate together to produce good photographs - almost as a professional body or group.
Snapper, to me means an occasional individual who takes snaps.
Photographer, to me means a business based photographer with a professional subject area focus.
Paparazzi, means some one who enjoys the chase and the scoop more than that of a photographic journalist.

Most of these terms can be used in either a positive or negative way.

GlennH
GlennH  91918 forum posts France1 Constructive Critique Points
9 Nov 2012 - 9:44 AM

'Snap' is shortened from 'snap shot', which in turn was an old 19th century hunting term. It has provenance!

Tog irritates me, but it's got nothing to do with it being derogatory and everything to do with the fact that it seems like lazy txt spk. Various photographic words are at the other end of the scale for me: I only reluctantly write 'bokeh' or 'image'.

JohnParminter

Quote: After practising your skills and honing your talents for many a year is the term snapper offensive to you ?

No, it keeps me firmly grounded in my ability.

thewilliam
9 Nov 2012 - 10:12 AM

I'd reserve the term "photographer" for somebody who has proven skill or qualifications in photography.

Lesser mortals are "snappers".

GlennH
GlennH  91918 forum posts France1 Constructive Critique Points
9 Nov 2012 - 10:21 AM

Isn't there a danger when you attach importance to these words—especially when you deem yourself worthy of a certain label—that the net result may very well be apathy and overconfidence?

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64539 forum postsSlowSong vcard England29 Constructive Critique Points
9 Nov 2012 - 10:32 AM

Quote: Lesser mortals are "snappers".

Handbags at dawn! Grin

mattw
mattw  105189 forum posts United Kingdom10 Constructive Critique Points
9 Nov 2012 - 11:26 AM

I find the term 'snapper' mildly patronizing - but its a term used by people who are not photographers so I try not to take it personally.

'Tog' I find lazy and inelegant.

SlowSong
9 Nov 2012 - 12:22 PM

Quote: Tog' I find lazy and inelegant.

Ooops, that's me told then. Grin

Last Modified By SlowSong at 9 Nov 2012 - 12:22 PM
digicammad
digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
9 Nov 2012 - 12:51 PM

I use tog sometimes when typing because it is a lot quicker than photographer (and less likely to be misspelled). I also use it when drunk and unable to say photographer.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.