Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

To take a step forward or a step back - that is the question

Overread 6 3.9k 18 England
18 Jan 2011 10:42PM
Ok so after the last few days I've half convinced myself that it might be worth my time to learn and use some of this film stuff; not just for the experience of film photography, but also to expand what I am currently capable of with digital without having to spend a large amount on a 5D or similar. So I've done some research and asked around and the Canon EOS 3 has popped up as a not too expensive option to get into the film area with my EOS lenses (barring the 400D EFS kit lens) whilst also not only giving me a fullframe field of view, but a much more advanced AF system than I currently have.

However I'm also partly torn because the price (provided I can find one from a reputable place on ebay) that I see on the EOS 3 is very close to the price of a Kindel on Amazon - another unit of technology that I've been growing more keen to add to my setup as a way of reading PDFs and books without having to carry large text volumes and binders full of paper (I'm sure I will still use those things, but the small size and light weight of the kindel really brings it into its own for any form of travel - esp when one hasn't got a car).

So I'm left torn - do I take a step back into the past and go for a good film camera (ok I'll stop pulling the film fans legs since the body itself is a step forward from my 400D) or do I take the step toward a kindel?
Both will come with additional costs of books and film of course so neither is a 100% singular investment.

So Great people of Ephotozine - which should it be?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

sherlob e2
8 2.4k 126 United Kingdom
19 Jan 2011 8:13AM
I've thought about going back for a dabble with film a few times but to be honest I have decided against it. Whilst film may allow you a chance to improve your camera craft the lack of immediate results may prove prohibitive. Furthermore, for me the film experience would need to be total - and that means developing my own (another costly option). If you want to dabble in film why not look into a college course that still uses film but loans equipment out too?

In regard to the Kindle - I hadn't realised you could use them for PDF files? Is this any pdf file? I have literally 100's to read as part of my ongoing studies and all of a sudden this sounds an intersting proposition...

Adam
keithh e2
11 23.4k 33 Wallis And Futuna
19 Jan 2011 8:18AM
Yes the Kindle displays PDF files plus you can even check your emails and browse the web for free on the 3G model. Web browsing isn't brilliant and only in black and white but even checked epz on it and it's not bad at all. I was told that books with pictures don't work on it but if you can live with B&W they are just fine.

If pushed to make a choice between an old EOS 3 and a Kindle - the Kindle would win for no other reason than it has more uses.
Nigeyboy 6 537 United Kingdom
19 Jan 2011 9:19AM
Why not go 'basic' and get a full manual SLR? I know that the current lenses you have may not be compatible, but they are cheap enough on ebay even with perhaps a 50mm 1.8 lens.

Found this Canon AE-1 on ebay - I used to have one of these and loved it!!

Full manual would let you experiance everything at a grass routes level, even focus!!
whipspeed e2
10 4.1k 22 United Kingdom
19 Jan 2011 3:50PM
I had a Kindle for Christmas, it's really very good, I can take all my books out with me to read. I didn't go for the 3G version, just the Wifi. But can connect to internet on it and access email if I want. But I tend to use my phone for internet when out and about.
Overread 6 3.9k 18 England
19 Jan 2011 5:09PM
Nigey - the problem is I have an all manual film camera - its sitting in a corner of cupboard and not seeing much use. The thing is the standard 50mm lens just isn't an angle of view that I use that often for what I shoot so unless I also get a suitable lens setup with the SLR I'll end up not using it at all. The other problem then slips in that I'll end up leaving it behind if I either have to carry two SLR setups or if I can't get good quality lenses for the SLR as compared to my DSLR setup - and at that point I'm sinking more money into a film interest when I've still big outlays on my DSLR lens setup.

That is partly why I've wanted to go with a canon compatible SLR and also one which offers something beyond just being able to do film - in the case of the EOS 3 its more advanced AF setup specifically. It gives me a reason to use it beyond the angle of view change and the film factor (since I've no prior history of shooting film so no attachment to using it as such).

The kindel arguments though are strong and it is tempting for the ease of getting around. The only downside is that I know many textbooks won't be on kindel yet (and annoyingly many that are are only on the US market - for some reason the UK kindel store has far fewer books on offer). I'm not sure I'd go for the 3G version either (since I check my emails rarely and I already lose enough time to the net as it is Wink)

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.