Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

To Understanding DPP

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
ckristoff
ckristoff  9938 forum posts Wales
14 Jan 2012 - 6:08 PM

Hello Friends,

I recently purchased a great looking E-book by Andrew S Gibson, Understanding DPP. It is my hope to get to grips with the raw software that came with my camera.

It's only 80 pages long, but it appears to be very well written. I hope I'll be able to make use of this useful software.

This evening, I purchased Paintshop ProX4, which I'm hoping will help me in improving my images. I understand that after saving files in DPP, they can be transferred to photoshop, I currently have CS, the first version. Would I in future, be able to transfer my files to Paintshop Pro?

Frank.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
14 Jan 2012 - 6:08 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
14 Jan 2012 - 6:14 PM

There isn't one universal "RAW" filetype.

Every single camera/manufacturer produces its own unique RAW files.

You can liken this to windscreen wipers on cars; if you go to your dealer (DDP) they are likely to have your cars (canon) wipers in stock.

Photoshop is like halfords, they stock the wipers for every car.

- However you can easily convert your RAW files into DNG. DNG is a universal filetype that has the same functionality as RAW files do. This is the most recommended practice and essentially you dont need to use DPP at all.

Because DNG is supported by many softwares.

Last Modified By User_Removed at 14 Jan 2012 - 6:17 PM
ckristoff
14 Jan 2012 - 6:25 PM

Hello Swwils,

thanks for your reply. ER, I've never used DNG. Is that different to Tiff?

How about if I DO want to use DPP?

Admitedly, the ebook I bought may be an introduction, as I don't understand anything about post-production - my mind freezes up!Grin By working through DPP, it may help me in gaining a little bit more knowledge about PS and paintshop pro.

Frank.

User_Removed
14 Jan 2012 - 6:32 PM

DNG is "digital negative" - its a lossless file format that's exactly like RAW.
You must understand that "RAW" means a whole bunch of different filetypes from every camera.
canon have .cr2 etc...

DNG is the attempt to standardise RAW files into one format that every software can use.

The limitations of using DPP is that it will only export TIFF and JPEG.

DPP is the best RAW processor for canon; its tricky to learn but it is good.
Photoshop has a RAW processor too; but its best to feed it DNG files. (but you can use CR2)

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
ckristoff
14 Jan 2012 - 7:01 PM

Hello Swwills,

once again, thank you for your reply. I appreciate it.

I'm simply trying to get my mind to learn some more information, before the old grey cells die!Grin

FRank.

User_Removed
14 Jan 2012 - 7:36 PM

After editing in DPP if you wanted to do more work on the file in PaintShopPro or other software you would have to save as a tiff and then load that into PaintshopPro. If you loaded the raw file into PaintShopPro you'd lose the edits you made in DPP.

As a picture paints a thousand words why don't you look at the excellent DPP tutorials on YouTube?

Typical video:

StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014721 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
14 Jan 2012 - 8:08 PM

Chris_L on here has an excellent introduction to DPP on his website. Also, when you have DPP open you can select help and get online instructions. When you downloaded the programs that were on the CDs that came with your camera, I'm pretty sure there were manuals on the disc. Chris_L is always helping someone on here with DPP, he got me started with it. I use Zoombrowser for downloading RAW images, then I look through them and rate them with the stars, and then open them in DPP for edit and conversion. Then if You want to edit with another program like Paintshop, I use Elements 7, just right click on the converted thumbnail in Zoombrowser, and select Open With and chooose the program yopu want to use.

StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014721 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
14 Jan 2012 - 8:10 PM

Lol, I guess I was a bit slow Chris.Grin

ckristoff
14 Jan 2012 - 8:35 PM

Hello Chris,

thank you for your helpful input. I haven't come across those before - too lazy I guess!

Hello StrayCat,

thank you for your valuable contribution. Problem is, I wasn't born in the computer age. I've got Zoombrowzer installed on pc of course - I've simply never looked at it!

More homework methinks!Grin

Frank.

StrayCat
14 Jan 2012 - 8:38 PM

It just takes a bit of time and experience.

Good Luck,
Denny

User_Removed
15 Jan 2012 - 9:15 AM

Frank, this page shows you the official DPP tutorial videos in the correct order.

15-01-2012-09-12-44.jpg

There's also a playlist of EOS tips and tricks and videos about some of the popular Canon SLRs here

StrayCat
15 Jan 2012 - 8:33 PM

Bookmarked

ckristoff
15 Jan 2012 - 9:17 PM

Hello Chris,

thank you so much for your useful link that you provided above.

I really do appreciate all the advice that my fellow members supply me with - thank you all!

Just got home from a day in Cardiff, with my son and his wife; they're expecting their first child end of Feb. A wonderful excuse to turn on my camera.

Came home to see an email from Amazon, stating my copy of Paintshop pro is in the post.

Thursday, off I goes to Carmarthen for a small eye operation, giving me 3 weeks time off work!!!Grin What a life!Wink

Frank.

ckristoff
23 Jan 2012 - 5:56 PM

Hello Friends,

at present, I'm recovering from my eye operation which went very well. I've got 3 weeks off work - but I need to take care of my eye. Too much TV or PC can play havoc! It may take another week before I can spend a couple hours on my PC. Since I last posted, I've received my copy of Paintshop Pro DX4 Ultimate, which I haven't loaded on my pc yet.

What would be the best way to get my raw images to use onto PSP? I intend to use DPP first - which I haven't got my head around it yet. Mainly I save my files at Tiff files; would saving as DNG be any better and what is the difference?

During this year, my wish is to get my head down and just get on with the process of post production.

Frank.

User_Removed
23 Jan 2012 - 7:58 PM

Frank process your raw files in DPP, all the changes are saved in the raw file. Think of it as a negative that you use to make prints from (eg use it when you need to generate a jpeg)

Only send them to PSP if you intend doing further processing by exporting them as TIFF from DPP first.

You won't have any advantage converting to DNG. If you plan to load your raw files directly into PSP that won't work well because PSP won't understand the settings that DPP has stored in the raw file.

You've paid good money for PSP and maybe you're keen to use it, but that would be like forcing a meal down that you don't like simply because it cost a lot of money.

DPP might be free but it's extremely powerful. Watch the videos

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.