Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

To Understanding DPP

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Ade_Osman
Ade_Osman e2 Member 114499 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
23 Jan 2012 - 8:12 PM

Very quick comment as nobody else has mentioned it as yet, well they have but in a roundabout way......You can process Canon RAW files within PSP 4X. However as Chris states and as I've found DDP is powerful and fairly comprehensive, I usually process RAW using DDP, then tweak the TIFF files within PSP.....Once you sort out your workflow both programs are a cinch to use.

Ade

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
23 Jan 2012 - 8:12 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ckristoff
ckristoff  9938 forum posts Wales
25 Jan 2012 - 12:58 PM

Hello Chris, Hello Ade,

thank you so much for your replies.

At present, I'm still recovering from my op. I can just about manage 1 hour on the pc ( when I probably shouldn't ) to check on emails and any updates to my posts.

I haven't loaded PSP onto my pc as yet - maybe later on!

Thank you both, for your thumbs up for DPP! As it's free, I cannot understand why more people don't use it! Surely noone knows CR2 files better than Canon?

As for learning about PSP, one day I'll snap out of my lazy ( fearful ) mode and just do it! Grin

Frank.

User_Removed
25 Jan 2012 - 1:57 PM

If you bought your camera a few years ago then the copy of DPP you got on the disc with it would be pretty pathetic and also buried amongst a confusion of other software. I think that's why many people overlook it. It's not a patch on Lightroom for organisation, so people with large keyworded libraries might struggle.

A huge advantage over Lightroom though is that it saves changes to the actual raw file. You can backup or email your raw file without worrying about losing processing work you did on it.

Today's DPP (which older users can download for free) is a massive improvement. You're right that nobody knows Canon raw files as well as Canon. The same routines are used by the Digic chips to produce fab in-camera jpegs.

ckristoff
25 Jan 2012 - 7:35 PM

Hello Chris,

thanks for that. Since I bought my first camera 450D, I have upgraded DPP a few times. I believe I've got the latest version.

Bad eye or not, I've loaded PSP X4 Ultimate onto my pc. I've registered the software, but am unable to have Live Chat support. How do I know if I've got the Nik Color Efex Pro 3 and their collection of Premium Picture Tubes - whatever they are!Smile

Also in the box is a download link for Winzip. I don't know if I need that.

If I'm up to it, I may play around with PSP tomorrow.

Frank.

StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014682 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
25 Jan 2012 - 8:07 PM

I've tried lots of RAW editing programs, and nothing beats DPP for me, in fact it was one of the factors that helped me decide to buy into the Canon system. I would describe it in one word; practical.Grin

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
rickie
rickie e2 Member 998 forum postsrickie vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
4 Feb 2012 - 8:15 PM

Have to say I use dpp all the time to process my raw files 30d,40d,1d mk11n and it really is the easiest programme to use and the best in my opinion.
I just do all my adjustments and then download into cs5 for any delicate work like healing and clone work etc needed but all the necessary work is done in DPP.

User_Removed
5 Feb 2012 - 3:16 PM

I've started to do as much clone work as I can in DPP. DPP's clone stamp is nowhere near as flexible as Photoshop but being able to save the cloning to your raw file and avoiding a trip to Photoshop is worth it. I hope Canon continue to improve DPP. It just gets better and better.

ckristoff
6 Feb 2012 - 5:35 PM

Hello Chris,

just an update.

Went to hospital this morning for my check-up, and had the protective contact lens removed, what a relief! So I've got another week off before returning to work.

I shall take a look at your links, for which I'm grateful. It'll take me a bit of time for me to get going. Thank you for all your help.

Frank.

ckristoff
1 Mar 2012 - 12:11 PM

Friends,

i'm getting very confused!Sad

Last night I had a play with Paintshop pro X4. I opened an image that I had already carried out the minimal amount of processing that I currently do on Photoshop CS version 8; mainly clicking on all auto functions - which is ALL I know.

With the image open, I went through the Edit Menu and looked at all the functions along the top taskbar. I came to one called Photo Enhancement, and practically clicked on all the buttons on there. I adjusted a few slider controls and was amazed on the immediate improvement of the photo I was looking at. THis is NOT to say PS ain't good - I'm the one who ain't good at using it, or afraid of using it. Which brings me to current problem.

How do I print the image I see on screen in paintshop pro, to print on my i9950 printer, which as far as I can tell, comes up with limited functions. Also how do I get the printer to print the image onto Fotospeed paper, using the printer profile, the same way I see it, if I use PS? I opened up PS and wouldn't you know it - the resulting print was horrendous, a deep red overall colour!!Grin Now I ain't going to waste it, I'll keep it as it is - a science fiction work of art!Grin

THe printer profile I have for the Fotospeed paper, does it need to be programmed to paintshop pro? Does paintshop pro need to know what my printer is?

Sorry for being dim; it's just because I am.

I'd like to thank you all in advance for any replies you may give, I appreciate it. Tonight my wife and I go to Newport Gwent, to see our newborn grandson, whose birth is imminent!

Frank.

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64365 forum postsSlowSong vcard England28 Constructive Critique Points
1 Mar 2012 - 2:34 PM

This is a timely thread. I've just treated myself to an S100 but, as usual, my Elements 9 and CS4 won't support the required version of ACR. So instead of throwing more money at Adobe I'm going to try the DPP processing. Chris_L's tutorials are hereby bookmarked.
Thanks Smile

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64365 forum postsSlowSong vcard England28 Constructive Critique Points
1 Mar 2012 - 3:13 PM

BTW, further to my above, does DPP have something similar to the Clarity slider on ACR? I do use this quite a bit.

SlowSong
3 Mar 2012 - 3:31 PM

To add to the above, just watched all the vids and had a play around. I don't find DPP as comprehensive or as precise as PS but once I've done the basics I upload the resulting jpeg into Adobe using Camera Raw and do the rest from there. It's saved me about 60 anyway so I don't mind a bit of extra fiddling around. Smile

ckristoff
6 Mar 2012 - 10:38 AM

SmileHello FRiends,

can anyone help me with my dilemna?

I'm currently at my son's home, practicing grandfather duties.Smile

I shall be home tomorrow night. I'll be expected to print photos furiously, for next weekend's visit. I can still use ps, but I'd like to make more use of PSP.

FRank.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.