Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

To upgrade or not to upgrade ? That is the question.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
SimPick
SimPick  8545 forum posts Azerbaijan2 Constructive Critique Points
26 Sep 2008 - 9:32 AM

Maybe you all can help give me a gentle prod in the right direction. I'm having problems wondering when and why to upgrade my camera body. Just as some background - I started photography around this time in 2005 when I bought a 350d, which I have used solely up until now. I took advice from the good people on ePz a few years ago and spent a bit extra on good lenses that will survive camera upgrades and last me for many years - a 17-40L, a 70-200 f4 L, and a 50mm f1.8. So I am fine with lenses and never really needed any other focal lengths than that.
But I am in a few minds what to do next, and what to move up to - a 50D, a 5D mkI, or maybe even a 40D which I read a lot about and seems to be a fine camera. I take pics of everything and anything, and would like to progress photographically, but I'm not so daft as to think that a better camera will make me any better. A 5d mkII would be lovely, but I don't see the point considering the standard of pics I churn out right now.

The question is, on what do you base your decision to upgrade your camera ? Because you can ? Because you feel like it ? Because you think you've advanced ? Because of newer technology ?
What has buying a more advanced camera done for you ? Has it given you a kick up the backside to get out and do more with it ? Has anyone out there (be honest) bought a camera that was way way more advanced than they needed and lived to regret it, or maybe it ended up being a fantastic decision ?

Right now I'm kind of leaning towards getting a 50D.

Last Modified By SimPick at 26 Sep 2008 - 9:34 AM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
26 Sep 2008 - 9:32 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
26 Sep 2008 - 9:36 AM

Your PF suggests you like landscapes. If you go for, say, a 5D which offers you full frame it will offer you a whole new world on your 17-40 in particular. It may soon be a good time to buy with the mk2 coming out and bringing the prices of the still excellent mk1 down.

culturedcanvas
26 Sep 2008 - 9:39 AM

Out of them all I would be tempted with the 40D .. mainly because if offersa significant upgrade from your current unit and won't break the bank. The 50D (Just waiting for a delivery of one myself) is a great unit byt the looks of it but will it really benefit you? Only if the extra res is an absolute must for you. Ive also got a 5D MK2 on order and that's the unit I can't wait to arrive however I ordered it mainly because I do a lot of low light portrait work and becuase I often print large .. so the extra res is useful to me again.

You make the decision based on needs .. or at least you should. Dont let emotion get in the way ... the 40D is a fine camera and has a lot of useful features ... better handling than the 350D esp when combined with the grip.

Wink

SimPick
26 Sep 2008 - 9:39 AM

Yeah, I did think of that Chris, but that choice is a bit harder to make considering things like replacing all my Cokin filters which would be too small for a full frame camera. Also I may need other lenses seeing as my lens kit was perfect for a crop, it stands to reason it won't be for a full frame.

DaveU
DaveU e2 Member 81339 forum postsDaveU vcard England121 Constructive Critique Points
26 Sep 2008 - 9:40 AM

Alternatively stick with the crop-sensor range and add a Sigma 10-20 to give you wide-angle capability.

Regarding upgrades I have a 30D which is pretty much all I need. That said I am considering trading up to the 50D just because it has double the mega-pixels. I tend to crop a lot in Photoshop rather than "getting it right" in camera so the extra pixels will be useful in letting me crop and still having a decent sized image at the end.

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 813402 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
26 Sep 2008 - 9:43 AM

I want to get the 5D MK II mainly for better noise control. I have heard so much about amazing details on FF, and I can't wait to try it.

I know what I want, and I am going to get it.

If you don't know what you are after, then it is hard for you to make a decision.

What is it about 350D that you don't like and wish to change? If the answer is no, or you don't know, then you probably don't need it.

culturedcanvas
26 Sep 2008 - 9:44 AM

What Dave actually means is that he cant be arsed to get out of the car and walk so takes a lot of shots with the window down Wink

SimPick
26 Sep 2008 - 9:45 AM

Dan.

Thanks for the advice. You ask if I need the res of a 50d. I do crop a lot of images like DaveU mentioned, so from that perspective the 50d is great. I'm not a mega-pixel junkie, but I would guess that the 50d would be a better choice from that respect.

Simon.

Last Modified By SimPick at 26 Sep 2008 - 9:46 AM
conrad
conrad e2 Member 910870 forum postsconrad vcard 116 Constructive Critique Points
26 Sep 2008 - 9:45 AM

Quote: on what do you base your decision to upgrade your camera ?

I'd say consider this question first: Is there anything you want to do with your photography that you feel is either impossible or difficult with your present camera body that newer bodies do better?

If not, stick with your present camera, and consider a similar question for your lenses and other kit.

If yes, consider the comments by Dan and Dave to choose a new camera.

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 813402 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
26 Sep 2008 - 9:47 AM

Your lenses are great for FF as well!

SimPick
26 Sep 2008 - 9:50 AM

I really want to change to gain better image quality. There's no doubting the 350d was the "bargain bucket" Canon camera for a while, and lets face it, things have moved on quite considerably. The high ISO performance is also quite horrible.

Coleslaw
26 Sep 2008 - 9:55 AM

Then, how much you want to spend?
Aren't you supposed to spend on the baby only? :-p

SimPick
26 Sep 2008 - 9:59 AM

Quote: Then, how much you want to spend?
Aren't you supposed to spend on the baby only?

Baby and wife have had all my money for ages and I've had nothing. Now it's Daddy time !!
The cameras I mentioned are all within my budget - 40d, 50d, or a 5d mkI if the price drops a bit soon.
I also want to buy a camera that will last a good while now. I won't want to upgrade again for a good few years yet.

DaveU
DaveU e2 Member 81339 forum postsDaveU vcard England121 Constructive Critique Points
26 Sep 2008 - 10:01 AM

Quote: What Dave actually means is that he cant be arsed to get out of the car and walk so takes a lot of shots with the window down

Lol ..... only when it's raining, or very windy or too hot.

Coleslaw
26 Sep 2008 - 10:23 AM

Quote: I really want to change to gain better image quality. There's no doubting the 350d was the "bargain bucket" Canon camera for a while, and lets face it, things have moved on quite considerably. The high ISO performance is also quite horrible.

In that case, I would be tempted to go for 5D.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.