Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Tokina 500mm mirror lens

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Warriorpoet
    16 Jun 2009 - 5:16 PM

I have just been given one of the above by a work colleague. It is a pentax K fitting and I am wondering if the k to eos adaptors available on ebay will allow me to use this with the 40d. Also should I get the basic adaptor or AF confirm version and finally is it worth bothering in the first place.

Dave

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    16 Jun 2009 - 5:16 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Henchard
    Henchard  92744 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Jun 2009 - 5:21 PM

Quote: is it worth bothering in the first place

Probably only for novelty/experimental purposes and to have a bit of fun with; I would say. I know nothing of this model but problems generally include not very good performance, fixed aperture and 'doughnut' highlights

Last Modified By Henchard at 16 Jun 2009 - 5:23 PM
    Warriorpoet
    16 Jun 2009 - 5:27 PM

I thought that would be the answer. I am anxious to give it a go if the adaptor will work, not least because it was kind of my colleague to dig it out and think of me. I think he only used it once as though an old lens it looks brand new.

G73photography
    16 Jun 2009 - 6:18 PM

i used to have one of those leses but made by another name (probably rebadged) due to the consant apeture (f8) images will either be dark or noisey as you will have cranked up the iso. the ae will be out too as there will be no electric circuitary telling the camera what f stop it is, so you would pretty much have to shoot in M mode, guestimating the settings. another drawback of these lenses will be lack of sharpness. its a good lens to mess about with , but not really ideal for birds/wildlife etc. i bought mine off ebay for around 60 quid, and used it a few times and put it back on ebay. fortunately i didnt lose too much when sold, hope thise info is of some use.

kaybee
    kaybee  103825 forum posts Scotland24 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Jun 2009 - 6:29 PM

I have a 500mm mirror lens (Tamron) and it can be great fun.

Okay - you need a tripod (or extremely good light) because of the fixed f8 but I have had no problems with quality and the doughnut highlights .......... there is nothing wrong with them (and they look great with water)

If you only require such a long lens occationally it is going to be a godsend (especially as it is a freebee) - get the adaptor and give it a go.

This
    and This were taken (handheld)

Last Modified By kaybee at 16 Jun 2009 - 6:44 PM
    discreetphoton
    discreetphoton Site Moderator 93453 forum postsdiscreetphoton vcard United Kingdom20 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Jun 2009 - 6:34 PM

Got this one with the tamron mentioned above. Yeah, fine, it's not the sharpest, but with an extension tube, I was working at about f/11 from twelve feet away, so it's not awful Smile

Last Modified By discreetphoton at 16 Jun 2009 - 6:35 PM
    Warriorpoet
    16 Jun 2009 - 7:42 PM

Thanks guys I am most encouraged by those shots and I think its definitely worth a punt on the adaptor Smile

Dave

dragarth
    dragarth  10247 forum posts Scotland1 Constructive Critique Points
    17 Jun 2009 - 5:06 PM

personally wouldnt bother, bought obne used it and sold it again in short order didn't find the results that good myself.

sean

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.