Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Tokina 80-400 Nikon Mount

Peter23 6 23 2
10 Sep 2011 4:34PM
Does anyone have any experience with this lens? It's so cheap and I think I'm living in cloud cuckoo land thinking it might be decent! Please someone tell me this is actually a good lens!?
Thanks!

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Peter23 6 23 2
10 Sep 2011 7:49PM
I went for the Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC instead! Looks a good lens, zoom only up too 300 rather than 400 but optically it is rated highly, anyone got any experience with that one?
Pete
16 Sep 2011 7:57AM
It does not seem to be listed at any of the camera stockists with a first class reputation - implying it might be discontinued.
It should be a "half decent" lens for the money.
By "half decent" Nikon long wide range zooms at the telephoto end are confirmed in Nikon's MTF as not as good as primes. Buying the Nikon 70-300 does not give you 300 prime quality and buying the Nikon 80-400 does not give you 400 prime quality when the zooms are used wide open. On the other hand the primes are a lot more expensive Sad
Most f5.6 lens are good by f11 is in that sense you should be able to get good images - at less than half the price of the Nikon 80-400.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.