Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Tom Mackie Jumping Ship from Canon to Nikon

Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
10 Jul 2012 11:12AM

Quote:I wonder how noticable the 'better' colour rendition and resolution are in a final print when comparing 5DIII and D800.

Not as noticeable as the extra money Nikon is paying................ oops! Grin

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Dave_Canon 8 940 United Kingdom
10 Jul 2012 1:06PM

Quote:Did Tom have his 5D2 calibrated? I use a bespoke calibration profile with mine and cannot see the difference with a Nikon 300D owner who also calibrated his camera. I will admit that the bespoke profile made a larger difference to my images that the bespoke profile did to the 300D but that is down to the Adobe default profile I previously used for Raw conversion and not Canon. Even though I use the bespoke profile only fashion and product photographers need this kind of accuracy.

Dave

Dave sorry I'm not techy, when you say you use a bespoke calibration profile is the profile in camera or associated with your processing software. EIther way could you explain how/what is need to create this bespoke profile please?

I only use Raw and the Raw file is rendered by Adobe Raw or Lightroom. The Raw file is just a series of numbers which represent the light which was captured by the sensor. It is the intrepretation of those numbers to a known colour gamut such as sRGB or Adobe RGB for which the profile is used. Adobe supply a set of profiles which roughly match the Cameras built in styles but these profiles are approximate and camera model related. If you use JPEG then the rendering is inside the camera using the manufacturers profiles (set by style). It is importnat to ensure that you set the style correctly in camera for JPEG or in the Raw converter for Raw (I suspect that many Raw users do not check the profile used in the Calibration section of Adobe Raw; Lightroom, PS and Elements). What I have done is to calibrate my camera and produce a colour profile which is specific for my sensor. This profile is made availabe for LR, PS and Elements to use and is associated with my specific camera. So whenever I import Raw files into LR, the serial number of my camera is recognised and my bespoke profile automatically applied giving me accurate colour. If you wish to know more look at the Colour Management in the Techniques page of my Website

I must emphasise that most photographers (including me) do not need such accuracy but product and fashion photographers do. I only calibrated my camera because I am technical and wanted to but, having done so, it makes sense to use the bespoke profile.

Dave
Steppenwolf 3 1.1k
10 Jul 2012 2:04PM

Quote:You may find this factually correct, the older 24mp full frame sensor used in the Nikon had many detailed differences so while it may have used the same fab process the Nikon had many detailed differences from the electronic circuitry used to amplify the signal to the micro lenses. It is why the performance was better on the Nikon camera (and also part of the explanation as to why it cost so much more). On the A700 and D300 sensor the Nikon again had at least signal processing circuitry differences. Also in the new APS 24mp sensor it looks from tear downs that have been performed that the sensor is again different for the Nikon and indications are it was not fabricated by Sony. It could be that for the sensors a fair bit of the knowledge being used is proprietary to Nikon.

I think it's fairly obvious that Sony have been selling their sensors to other manufacturers for years - Nikon and Pentax mostly. The sensors are always re-badged and Sony is never quoted as the manufacturer of course. Nikon almost always say that it's their design but don't name the manufacturer. Professor Bob Newman (in AP) analysed the sensors in the Sony A55, Nikon D7000 and Pentax K-5 and said "my findings are consistent with all three of these cameras sharing the same sensor". There are detail differences (the A55 uses 12 bit output, the others 14 bit, etc) but they're basically the same. He goes on to say that "You can discount a different source, because this is by some margin, the best DSLR sensor ever made, area for area - it stretches credibility to think that another supplier would match Sony's years of development at its first attempt".

Likewise the Nikon D300 and Sony A700 used the same 12Mp sensor (again with minor detail differences). It may be that the new Nikon 24Mp sensor is not made by Sony. It's possible, but at the moment no one seems to know. Maybe it's just a coincidence that they seem very similar.
strawman 11 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
10 Jul 2012 3:09PM
Its not worth the debate, but neither of us know how much of each sensor design used Sony or Nikon IPR. Other people have been making sensors for some time.
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
10 Jul 2012 3:12PM

Quote:Sony have been selling their sensors to other manufacturers for years - Nikon and Pentax

And now to Olympus!
rossd 11 1.1k England
10 Jul 2012 9:02PM

Quote:And now to Olympus!

Except the OMD which has a Panasonic sensor so I believe.
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
10 Jul 2012 10:06PM
The G3/GX1 and the OMD are said to have the same sensor but there are differences in performance and I have seen a comment that this may be due to the OM-D using a weaker AA filter.
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
10 Jul 2012 10:26PM

Quote:Except the OMD which has a Panasonic sensor so I believe.

Er no, Olympus have confirmed the OM-D has a Sony sensor. I'm not aware any other Olympus has a Sony sensor.

Quote:The G3/GX1 and the OMD are said to have the same sensor

Well that's clearly wrong as the Panasonics would have a Panasonic sensor.
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
11 Jul 2012 8:28AM

Quote:Er no, Olympus have confirmed the OM-D has a Sony sensor. I'm not aware any other Olympus has a Sony sensor.

Its the first time I've seen that. Good to know.
rossd 11 1.1k England
11 Jul 2012 11:01AM

Quote:Er no, Olympus have confirmed the OM-D has a Sony sensor.

Not according to several technical reviews that Ive read. However, since you apparently have a direct line to Olympus and they have confirmed it personally, then I can only bow to your superior knowledge!

Maybe you can get Olympus to correct the various references to the Panasonic sensor published in several photo mags and also online (one instance below from the WEX site tech review ):

For fact fans this baby has 16 Megapixels and is 4/3 sized little else is known. It will be similar to previous chips because Panasonic, like every semiconductor company, has their own intellectual property to exploit. It claims improvement in dynamic range and noise top ISO is 25600!
Paul_Iddon 8 47 England
11 Jul 2012 11:10AM
Tom is doing a talk/lecture at my camera club later this year when the season starts. I'll ask him personally about any change if I get the chance!
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
11 Jul 2012 11:43AM

Quote:Er no, Olympus have confirmed the OM-D has a Sony sensor.

Not according to several technical reviews that Ive read. However, since you apparently have a direct line to Olympus and they have confirmed it personally, then I can only bow to your superior knowledge!

I followed this up after reading CB's comment and found this:
http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2012/07/06/olympus-ceo-identifies-sensor-supplier-for-flagship-mirrorless-camera

Quote:At a press conference in Japan earlier this week, Olympus CEO Hiroyuki Sasa finally put the arguments to rest, identifying the E-M5's sensor supplier in a Japanese-language article uncovered by the 4/3 Rumors website. We've had a native Japanese-speaker translate the article ourselves, and concur with 4/3 Rumors' assessment: the sensor supplier for the Olympus E-M5 is identified by Mr. Sasa as none other than mirrorless rival Sony Corp., whose NEX-series cameras directly compete with Micro Four Thirds models.

The quote you gave says only '..it is similar to previous chips...' and I have to say I drew the same conclusion
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
11 Jul 2012 11:57AM
If the Olympus CEO says the OM-D sensor is made by Sony, I am inclined to believe it. Wink

Since the failed bid to link more closely to Panasonic, there has been talk of Olympus linking with Sony. It would not be a total surprise to see Sony sensors in the next generation of Pens, IMO.
Steppenwolf 3 1.1k
11 Jul 2012 1:26PM
I hadn't realised that Sony are supplying sensors to Olympus too - interesting stuff. The Sony sensor division is plainly independent of their camera division. I'll look forward to Canon "leapfrogging" the latest Sony sensors. Wink
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
11 Jul 2012 1:38PM

Quote:The Sony sensor division is plainly independent of their camera division.

Very clearly so as they have been supplying Nikon with sensors and even, at one point, having competing cameras.

Quote:I'll look forward to Canon "leapfrogging" the latest Sony sensors.

I wouldn't hold your breath! Wink

Canon are not exactly on a roll at present... but you never know.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.