Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Tom Mackie Jumping Ship from Canon to Nikon

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

strawman
strawman  1021997 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
11 Jul 2012 - 3:24 PM

I happens in cycles go back a few years and Canon had a big leap with introducing CMOS sensors while the rest soldiered on with CCD sensors. Go back then and people were saying the same in reverse. What goes around comes around. Its a foolish person that does not recognise companies rise and fall in cycles.

Go back a few more years and we have seen Olympus rise, fall and rise again, I hope the financial situation does not drag Olympus down again and I hope the Sony corp financial problems do not pull Sony down also.

Last Modified By strawman at 11 Jul 2012 - 3:28 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
11 Jul 2012 - 3:24 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139385 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
11 Jul 2012 - 3:46 PM

Quote: companies rise and fall in cycles

Well of course. When I first joined the site, Canon were in the ascendent. Then came all the problems - AF issues on the 1-series and various other things. Pros switched in droves to Nikon.

Nothing is forever - but sometimes the fall is terminal! Wink

spaceman
spaceman  105166 forum posts Wales3 Constructive Critique Points
11 Jul 2012 - 6:59 PM

Quote: companies rise and fall in cycles

Raleigh for instance.

mark99
mark99  4
12 Jul 2012 - 8:46 AM

Most of the press shooters abandoned them long ago, a few die hards who have money invested in lenses stuck by them.
However they still dont have a "working" press camera, the Nikon d3 is still strides ahead of the 1dmk4 the d3s is light years and the d4 is from another galaxy.
The inability of canon to produce an affordable press camera will be its downfall, as flagship sell ranges, buyers will want what they see on TV and it does not even look as if they can get the new camera out working in time for the Olympics with early examples outputting 7d noisy style images at mid range iso, which is the honey spot.
To be, the whole range is a bit of a mess and they would be far better going back to the drawing board as Nikon did with the D3.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139385 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
12 Jul 2012 - 12:48 PM

Quote: Most of the press shooters abandoned them long ago

Really? Whenever I see a gathering of telephoto-wielding togs on TV, those distinctive whitish Canon lenses seem to be much in evidence.........

Steppenwolf
12 Jul 2012 - 1:22 PM

Quote: Most of the press shooters abandoned them long ago

Really? Whenever I see a gathering of telephoto-wielding togs on TV, those distinctive whitish Canon lenses seem to be much in evidence.........

Could be Sony Gs Wink

Carabosse
12 Jul 2012 - 1:24 PM

Quote: Could be Sony Gs

Oh right. Smile

tomac
tomac  1 United Kingdom
26 Aug 2012 - 2:24 PM

A leading UK professional who gives many talks kept mentioning his favourite camera (a medium format film camera) but kept also mentioning various Nikon digital cameras he was using. When questioned about this apparent inconsistency, he freely admited that Nikon sponsored him and provided his cameras so naturally he was obliged to push their products.
Quote: Did Tom have his 5D2 calibrated? I use a bespoke calibration profile with mine and cannot see the difference with a Nikon 300D owner who also calibrated his camera. I will admit that the bespoke profile made a larger difference to my images that the bespoke profile did to the 300D but that is down to the Adobe default profile I previously used for Raw conversion and not Canon. Even though I use the bespoke profile only fashion and product photographers need this kind of accuracy. Given that Tom's images seemed to be mainly landscapes and many are exaggerted in colour (though attractive), I do not believe that the colour depth arguement was valid. I wonder what deal he had from Nikon. A leading UK professional who gives many talks kept mentioning his favourite camera (a medium format film camera) but kept also mentioning various Nikon digital cameras he was using. When questioned about this apparent inconsistency, he freely admited that Nikon sponsored him and provided his cameras so naturally he was obliged to push their products.

Dave

Hi Dave,

I would like to clear up this misinformation. Yes, I have changed from Canon to the Nikon D800. I am not sponsored by Nikon nor for that matter Canon. I buy the equipment that will give me the best quality, ease of use and at a price that can be justified in the current photographic business market. I started in photography with a Nikon F2 Photomic film camera back in the 70's and have used Hasselblad, Pentax 6x7 and mainly a 4x5 large format camera until getting into digital where I used the Canon 5D and 5D MK II. My decision to switch to Nikon was based on my tests between the MK II and the D800 and the quality of the lenses. There are features that are much better on the Canon (namely the display is better in low light conditions for checking fine focus) and vice versa, but for the most part there were more pros than cons for the Nikon. I will always give an honest assessment of equipment sponsored or not and don't push products that I don't believe in.

Tom Mackie

User_Removed
26 Aug 2012 - 3:47 PM

The true value of a Forum like this.

We all take everything we read in the comics with a huge pinch of salt, normally with total justification.

In particular, anyone who took a "camera recommendation" or a "comparative test result" from a photography magazine would clearly be one fork short of the proverbial canteen of cutlery.

But when a magazine writer comes on here and personally justifies a view he has expressed in the comics, it brings it several steps closer to being a credible position.

Well done, Tom, for taking the time to talk to us one-to-one. (or maybe one to ten million, but you know what I mean).

Nick_Hilton
26 Aug 2012 - 4:03 PM

Or Tom could post some pictures and we can judge for ourselves Wink

tomac
tomac  1 United Kingdom
27 Aug 2012 - 1:54 PM

Check out my latest newsletter for some of the first images out of the Nikon and the story behind the premature change.

http://myemail.constantcontact.com/Calamity-in-Canada.html?soid=1102268038586&am...

If anyone would like to win a trip to go with me to India, the contest details are in the newsletter. Hurry as the closing date is September 1st.

Tom

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.