Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Too PC ?

oldham e2
11 198 England
23 Feb 2006 4:17PM
A workmate was telling me how his 3 year old nusery pupil little boy recently had an accident in his underpants. In the current climate of political correctness the staff had to contact the mother to collect in instead of dealing with it there and then for the fear of causing offence throgh political orrectness (False accusations etc). The child could have been made unconfortable or ill as well as the inconvienience to the parent all on account of fear of offence. Do you like myself fear we have become too politically crrect and in the long term this does more harm than good?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

brian1208 e2
11 10.6k 12 United Kingdom
23 Feb 2006 9:49PM
Yes - I do!
MeanGreeny e2
9 3.7k England
23 Feb 2006 9:50PM
I think it worry & fear that caused it in the first place.

Adopt a "Who cares" attitude. Works for me.
Goatsmilkuk 10 783
23 Feb 2006 9:55PM
I feel that we have come a long way since days of sending kids down mines, up chimneys etc, but I also feel that we have gone too far to other way.
People are now scared to even say things let alone do them in case it upsets someone from a different background, or too namby pamby to do anything because it may hurt someones feelings.

It just seems we tend to bend over back wards to accommodate the minority without taking the feelings of ourselves into account first.

I for one am fed up with living in a country where I was born to be made to feel like I don't really have a say in what goes on, yes I do use my vote but it seems it won't change anything.

Rant over (for now anyway)

Stu Smile
gcarth e2
10 2.3k 1 United Kingdom
24 Feb 2006 1:19AM
What really sickens me is the hypocrisy of the government.
They promote PC, which is ostensibly supposed to create a more caring, compassionate society while simultaneously killing innocent citizens in the war in Iraq. Then they preach PC while allowing political prisoners to be rendered (tortured).
Ony this morning, the Independent newspaper is running the Amnesty International report on how this country has breached human rights incessantly.
When is the government going to be PC?
Sorry to be so negative, but I think we can all slip into a more positive mode by going on protests or just writing to our MP.

Garth
deviant e2
10 3.0k 1 United Kingdom
24 Feb 2006 2:04AM
The PC climate is currently stupid. I was accused of racism one for asking for Black coffee. I was kinda gob smacked.

For those on here that know me well if there where 50 people in a room being racist and I was the only one not, I'd still stand up and tell 'em what tossers they are and why.

To me the PC brigade are the problem not the solution. They don't get the simple fact that being PC is not the answer simply treating people with the respect you would like to be treated is the only solution. We are all human beings and should all treat each other as such.
D
gcarth e2
10 2.3k 1 United Kingdom
24 Feb 2006 2:28AM
Yes, deviant. I think I agree. It seems to me the people that PC is supposed to "protect" probably feel themselves patronised and that their differences are highlighted, which just draws unecessary attention. I think the PC attitude also seems to exacerbate the existing prejudices among the idiots of society.

Garth
paulcr e2
10 1.5k 9 Ireland
24 Feb 2006 2:33AM
PC Pah! All a load of rubbish. I remember years ago an aunt of mine who worked in a school in England was told she couldn't use the word blackboard anymore. She had to say chalk board instead, well we (in Ireland) fell around laughing at the stupidity of it all. Then came black or white coffee, and on and on.... PAul
gcarth e2
10 2.3k 1 United Kingdom
24 Feb 2006 2:48AM
That's right Paulcr. We do at least get some good laughs with all this PC.
I think we need to concentrate on the real issues like racism in some police forces etc.

Garth
LAF e2
11 1.7k
24 Feb 2006 3:11AM
PC = Pointless Crap.

If you have to sit down with a lawyer to figure out if something is offensive it clearly isn't. That's not to say that there aren't people who are inately offended by nearly everything, but that's their problem.

Lee.
paulcr e2
10 1.5k 9 Ireland
24 Feb 2006 3:54AM
I'm not convinced that people are offended anyway, I think its the people who THINK people will be offended that are the ones who stir up all the PC crap. If you see what I mean, oops sorry, didn't mean to offend anyone by implying that any one wouldn't understand what I meant If you see what I mean...Damn did it again. sorry
cambirder e2
11 7.2k England
24 Feb 2006 7:43AM
Sorry buy this is yet another of those rants about PC, that has bugger all to do with politics.
MarkyMarc e2
9 498 Canada
24 Feb 2006 7:54AM
What's next? No more B&W photos? It's going to be RRDG&RRLG for 'really really dark grey & really really light grey'.
gcarth e2
10 2.3k 1 United Kingdom
24 Feb 2006 8:58AM
Next there'll be a new PC definition for people who think film is still the best medium - digitally challenged.
Oops! I'll get my coat.

Garth
24 Feb 2006 11:13AM
Markymark it's not B&W; it's mixed heritage!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.