Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Took my DSLR on film set yesterday!

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    MUFCJord
    MUFCJord  1 England
    16 Nov 2012 - 11:32 AM

Hey guys,
    I'm currently a Media Production student based in Manchester and recently bought myself a Canon 600D and I took it on film set with me yesterday.I cannot get over how well it performed, the video quality is absolutely superb! It records at 1080p full HD and I simply couldn't have asked for more. Anyone else had success filming on a DSLR?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    16 Nov 2012 - 11:32 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

MUFCJord
    MUFCJord  1 England
    16 Nov 2012 - 11:50 AM

Whoops, posted this in the completely wrong section, please delete!

Pete
    Pete Site Moderator 1318442 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Nov 2012 - 12:00 PM

delete or move to digital?

MUFCJord
    MUFCJord  1 England
    16 Nov 2012 - 12:07 PM

You can move to digital actually, cheers admin!

justin c
    justin c  104525 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Nov 2012 - 5:58 PM

Quote: Anyone else had success filming on a DSLR?

As you've discovered, the quality is indeed very good and it's a whole different challenge from shooting stills.

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315234 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    17 Nov 2012 - 5:28 PM

I`ve had a few fun times shooting video with a lensbaby, its even stabilised in camera using the IS system Smile

MUFCJord
    MUFCJord  1 England
    17 Nov 2012 - 10:34 PM

Well I'm pursuing a career in video eventually, the fact that I can take photos too is just a bonus! Smile

Carabosse
    Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
    17 Nov 2012 - 10:47 PM

Hi Jordan! Smile Many people on here use stills cameras for video - me included. I gave up on camcorders a few years back, although I have used them extensively previous to that.

I do have a (very cheap) crossover device - a Panasonic TA2 - which is really more orientated towards video, at which it is surprisingly competent considering its small sensor. 1080p HD video.... and it only cost me 70. It is my stealth camera. Grin Oddly enough, I'm currently experimenting with pulling stills of the video: seems to be OK for pics up to about 600px (long side) but no more than that.

Good luck with your course! thumbs-up-dark.jpg

MUFCJord
    MUFCJord  1 England
    18 Nov 2012 - 9:00 AM

I think most people have given up with their camcorders.

Yeah i've looked at the TA2, i'm currently looking at the WA10 which is a similar thing for just over 100. They're lightweight and easy to carry around with you and you never know when you may want to use it!

I cannot get over how good the quality is though, very pleased!

Carabosse
    Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
    18 Nov 2012 - 2:24 PM

I've come across a book about using DSLRs for video (obviously applies to CSCs as well). It's pretty good. Smile

I had the Panny DC-10 which is similar to the WA10 (but non-waterproof). It was very good but I wanted something a bit more discreet: most people will not realise the TA2 isn't a mobile! Wink The WA10 does have optical zoom though, so that's a big advantage.

keith selmes
    18 Nov 2012 - 3:15 PM

Quote: looking at the WA10 which is a similar thing for just over 100. They're lightweight and easy to carry around with you

and apparently waterproof to 3 meters

MUFCJord
    MUFCJord  1 England
    19 Nov 2012 - 11:14 AM

Yeah, definitely going to invest in one, possibly an early christmas present to myself Wink
    Thanks for the book recommendation, I'll probably give it a read!

Carabosse
    19 Nov 2012 - 12:20 PM

My clapperboard arrived today.......... sync'ing video and audio has never been my strong point. Lol! Wink It's only a cheap plastic thing but it should do the job.

I usually do an 'alternative' Christmas broadcast for family and friends. I'm somewhat spoilt for choice with HD video devices now: system camera, compact, sub-compact (i.e. TA2) or............... camera phone! Grin

I used a voice recorder for the audio last year but the sync was not absolutely 100%; but I didn't notice until I watched full-screen after I'd circulated the link to the vid. Oops! blush-light.jpg

I'm actually seriously considering using the TA2... I really like the video from it, and it copes well indoors.

MUFCJord
    MUFCJord  1 England
    19 Nov 2012 - 6:25 PM

Yeah, we recorded sound externally from a microphone and used a clapperboard to sync it all up, you'll be fine its really simple! Smile

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.