Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Top 5 Locations.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Ian-Munro
Ian-Munro  6200 forum posts Wales15 Constructive Critique Points
17 Jan 2011 - 9:09 AM

Morning all,

I was just wondering what your favourite locations are for taking photo's and why?

You can only have 5 and it can be landscape, urbex, studio's etc. What is it that makes you go back there to try and get better shots etc?

I'll play anyway.

1 Glencoe - Shoot anytime of day plus inspiring.
2 Skye - Same as above
3 Heritage Coast - sunsets and rock formation
4 Mid Wales Hospital - Derelict building and texture with nice window light
5 London - Urban and Museum interiors.

These are obviously places that I have been to only.

Ian

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
17 Jan 2011 - 9:09 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JohnParminter
17 Jan 2011 - 9:34 AM

Not in any order:

Assynt and Inverpolly - a lot of unfinished business here.

Torridon - some of the best mountain architecture around especially in snow.

Skye - particularly the Cuillin ridge, gonna spend some time on it this year.

Knoydart - remote, quiet and relatively unphotographed.

Glen Coe but I've photographed this area extensively and intend to concentrate on other areas far more now.

Even though I'm born and bred and still live in the Lake District, I don't find it too inspiring to photograph, in truth I find it very hard to photograph.

Ian-Munro
17 Jan 2011 - 9:39 AM

Thanks John thats interesting mate. I look forward to some new stuff from Skye. Smile

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014807 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
17 Jan 2011 - 10:01 AM

errrr....

Lake district - just a stunning place and nice beers in the pubs
Leeds - I think for city shooting, the better you know a city, the more you get from it, so Leeds has to be my top city
Ferrybridge Power Station - I like huge structures and reflections in water, at ferrybridge you get both AND the sunset happens behind the towers when you're looking at the reflections!
London - I've not shot there often, but the diversity of subject is stunning, be it speakers corner, the river, the modern city architecture, the old museums, the pearly types, the tourists..... just paradise
The Dales - I'm going less and less as fuel prices rise, but there's something wonderful about there trip from Tan Hill to Grassington over the passes between Swaledale, Wensleydale and Wharfdale.

TO be fair - saying "dales" and "lakes" is very generic... they are 2 HUGE parks!

More specific...

Wrynose and Hardknott Passes - lakes
Bainbridge, Aysgarth and Semerwater - dales

roxpix
roxpix  102236 forum posts Scotland11 Constructive Critique Points
17 Jan 2011 - 10:23 AM

Thought this would be hard but easier than I thought, in no real order:

Highland Wildlife Park Aviemore for the most natural & spacious enclosures suited to the animals, the extreme seasons make such a difference
Chester zoo for the subject range & variety in one area, new additions such as cheetah's mean each visit is different
Knockhill racing circuit Dunfermline allows me to get only a few scant feet from the action
Brands Hatch circuit for the iconic bends for composition & as above its a 'twofor' you get to watch the sport and take shots
Benalmadena Marina Cos it means Im on holiday Grin

Ian-Munro
17 Jan 2011 - 10:46 AM

Thanks Ade and Roxpix, some interesting locations. I suppose London may feature a lot as well as The Lakes and Scotland.

User_Removed
17 Jan 2011 - 11:02 AM

Rannoch Moor (although a bit "played out" now)
Zion National Park, Utah
Fife coastal fishing villages
Pancake Rocks, South Island, New Zealand
Alaska glaciers

Last Modified By User_Removed at 17 Jan 2011 - 11:03 AM
ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014807 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
17 Jan 2011 - 11:23 AM

Quote: Thanks Ade and Roxpix, some interesting locations. I suppose London may feature a lot as well as The Lakes and Scotland.

definitely will - they're places a lot of people go as they are great for photos Smile

I guess you could start a thread titled...

Favourite Five Photo Locations Most People Don't Know About...

Get people to reveal their hidden locations - or at least post a shot of it

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110266 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
17 Jan 2011 - 11:42 AM

In no order:

The Hawk Conservancy
Hengistbury Head + Stanpit Marsh - wildfowl, waders, sunrise and sunset
Avon Beach Christchurch - kiteboarding & Sailboard action
New Forest
Jurassic Coast

JohnParminter
17 Jan 2011 - 12:21 PM

Favourite Five Photo Locations Most People Don't Know About...

Hmmm.

Knoydart for obvious reasons, most folk don't want to spend a day walking 15 or 20 miles into the heart of this area for a few photos, spend the night under canvas or in a rat infested bothy then walk out again.

Fisherfield and Letterewe
forest, same as above. I suggest one of the best sunset views in all of Scotland reside in this area.

Cairngorm plateau, bit more accessible especially from Aviemore side as there is a funicular most of the way up but still a large area mostly unphotographed - to be honest though it can be hard to find interesting vantage points, winter is best I feel and access from Linn of Dee may be preferable.

Glen Shiel is quite under represented photographically I feel. Most folk whizz through en route to Skye but if a little effort climbing some of the hills was spent then this area can provide some stunning mountain vistas.

The Mamores and Grey Corries offer exceptional mountain scenery if prepared to climb and walk for most of the day, again probably look more dramatic in winter conditions. A tent is best for overnighters.

I suspect Ardgour and Moidart offers brilliant scenery but need to check this area out more closely, got my eye on one hill though.

Assynt and Inverpolly has been done a lot from the usual and easily accessible vantage points but alternative views can be had if prepared to walk for some considerable distances, the hills are relatively easy to climb though.

So I guess you all know where I will be concentrating on this year........Grin

DuncanDisorderly

Continuing the less-known location theme

Anglesey - overshadowed by it's proximity to Snowdonia. Several stunning locations.
The Small Isles - foot ferry puts off all but the most rabidly enthusiastic photographers. If you need inspiration there are several good images floating around by Joe Cornish and Colin Prior.
Ardnamurchan - Horrendous single track roads, worst I know in Scotland; takes hours to get anywhere. Scenery is breathtaking.
Iona - generally avoided because it is on the tourist trail; but step off the track between the ferry and the abbey and it's properly remote. Beaches and cliffs are some of the best.
Doone Valley - Lynmouth to Watersmeet is well known; but upriver to Brendon lies one of the nicest bits of Exmoor I've explored.

Looking forward to seeing what else turns up!

Last Modified By DuncanDisorderly at 17 Jan 2011 - 12:54 PM
JohnParminter
17 Jan 2011 - 1:05 PM

Quote: Iona - generally avoided because it is on the tourist trail; but step off the track between the ferry and the abbey and it's properly remote. Beaches and cliffs are some of the best.

I was violently sick on the ferry over to Iona when I was nowt but a whipper snapper and have no desire to repeat that "scarred for life" traumatisation again..... ((Smile)) I'll take your word that it is scenic and remote though Duncan.

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53623 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
17 Jan 2011 - 1:12 PM

If you have a good example pic you can link to for these area's it would be interesting to see examples, thanks. Stuart.

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318443 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
17 Jan 2011 - 1:17 PM

Dining room - it's where I do all my still-life studio stuff - never lets me down - 24/7 shooting whatever the weather
Peak District - Fairly local and impressive range of subjects from villages to reservoirs to rocky edges
East Coast (around Flamborough) - love the coastal areas - been visiting since being knee high to grasshopper
Turbine - I have access to a great flash set up for model photography
Nothumberland - for the castles and coastal shoots

Toonman
Toonman  71420 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
17 Jan 2011 - 1:21 PM

Quote: Ferrybridge Power Station

You need to get out more Ade. Wink

1.London
2.Brighton
3.Open Gardens during the summer.
4.Chatsworth
5.York, nice beer there too Ade. Wink

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.