Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Top 5 things you would change on ePHOTOzine

9 May 2011 10:40AM
Hi Everyone,

There has bit some discussion around the forums about ePHOTOzine and occasionally, people mention things that they would change or remove from the site. So, I would like to conduct a simple question, what are the top 5 things you would change on ePHOTOzine? Please rank then in order of 1 being the most and 5th being the least.

Thanks,
David

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Grampy e2
5 507 71 England
9 May 2011 11:14AM
1: I would move the word association forum,to it's own designated part, with maybe a full time link on the forum page, apart from the rest as it is off little interest to a lot of us and on occasions takes a lot of space on the first latest activity page, meaning more interesting subjects, drift away quickly.

2: have two voting systems, one with everybody, cliques and all , with another from either pro photographers, members who have been on the site for 5 years or some group that is formed for the purpose critic team for example, these votes would maybe quieten the critics of the existing system.

3: Try and find a system that members would upload to the critic forum at least 25% of their work (this might bring them back to earth sometimes)

4: We miss a lot of great work , as there is so much not so good work going through, don't ask me how to solve that ! I value my life!

5: although should be number one, give the girls at EPZ a box of chocs and a bunch of flowers every month.
JJGEE
9 6.4k 18 England
9 May 2011 11:15AM
Just a couple of ideas.

1) Under Community >Member Portfolios there is an "Alphabet" Strip, so when you click on say "G" it brings up a list of all members' names beginning with "G"

Can this be implemented elsewhere ?

Reviews, clicking on "C" would bring up everything beginning with "C"

2) I am not sure if this is possible but in Gallery searching by a tag within a member would be useful.
I was looking for something specific over the week-end, knew it was there somewhere, knew what the tag was and eventually found it on the member's page 22 ! !

Sorry I have not got 5 things to list at the moment, so I suppose in General I am quite contented with the way things are Smile
ianrobinson e2
5 1.2k 8 United Kingdom
9 May 2011 11:21AM
there is only one thing i would change and that is the speed other than that i am happy.
TRUEX e2
7 218 10
9 May 2011 12:00PM
1. The floating thumbnails in the gallery.

2. The floating thumbnails in the gallery.

3. The floating thumbnails in the gallery.

4. The floating thumbnails in the gallery.

5 The floating thumbnails in the gallery.

Please get rid of them.
Andy_Cundell e2
3 1.1k 5 England
9 May 2011 12:05PM
I only have one major moaning point:

More vision of the challenges as to wheather they are active or a winner has been chosen. Maybe some sort of challenge archive when it has ended. At the moment, you only find out if the challenge has ended after posting a photo. A good weed is needed!

Andy
9 May 2011 12:41PM

Quote:1. The floating thumbnails in the gallery.

2. The floating thumbnails in the gallery.

3. The floating thumbnails in the gallery.

4. The floating thumbnails in the gallery.

5 The floating thumbnails in the gallery.

Please get rid of them.

It might be worth going to Website Options and changing the 'Display Next/Previous Arrows' option to 'Hide without thumbnails'. Make sure you hit 'Save Changes' when you have. That should resolve your top 5 Smile
RC :
squirrel
bug
flower
flower landscape
butterfly
cat
flower
landscape
bird
flower
bird
bird
landscape
landscape
bird
landscape
landscape
flower
flower
streetshot
bird
bug
bird
flower
DM/landscape/kids portrait
woman in landscape
squirrel
butterfly
flower landscape
bird
flower
flower
bird
bird
flower
flower
bird
bird
butterfly
flower
err... glasses
bird
flower
bird/landscape
bird
bugs
deer
flower
landscape
lizard
bird (in stone Wink )
naked woman (b&w)
landscape
still life
flower
bird
landscape
landscape
landscape
butterfly

latest gallery comments
landscape
bird
bug
historical reconstruction
landscape
bug
rusty piece of metal
baby statue
rabbit
still life fruit
flower
squirrel
bird
architecture
bird
bird statue
flower
landscape
texture
snake
landscape
flower
bird
bird
landscape
dog
roadblock
flower
flower
kangaroo
landscape (b&w)
flower
landscape
flower
streetshot
landscape
flower
bird
flower
bird
woman
flower
squirrel
flower
beach hut
landscape
landscape
landscape
street shot
bird

1. this is clearly what the epz public wants. Give it to them. But out of respect for all others, change the name of the site.
TRUEX e2
7 218 10
9 May 2011 12:47PM
Thanks, just done that.
G6DDS e2
5 231 Scotland
9 May 2011 12:49PM
1: Stop letting the people that moan all the time get what they want!
JJGEE
9 6.4k 18 England
9 May 2011 12:51PM

Quote:It might be worth going to Website Options and changing the 'Di.....

I have also been caught out not realising something was available / changed etc. Wink

Not sure how to resolve it, but

3) How does epz communicate / inform in a better way ALL the options / preferences / features of the site.
Take for example under PHOTOS there are 23 options listed, some of which are only available to e2 Members, so why not hide them from non e2 Memberfs ?
JackAllTog e2
5 4.0k 58 United Kingdom
9 May 2011 1:03PM
What would i change:

1. New profile/gallery comments shown on my portfolio page, e.g. a photo pages ago gets a comment and i'd like a reminder of it, as well as the one by email.

2. Mandatory 2nd tags, i love and hate them.

3. Visible Metrics about member photo's posted to date, uploads in the last month etc.. this would make it easier to see prolific posters that post at times other than the times i'm online. Also members by rough geographic region.

4. DHTML tab/page where i can creat my own version of the homepage.

5. Some way of making the often much more interesting group activity more obvious.
roxpix 11 2.2k 11 Scotland
9 May 2011 1:10PM
1, BG Colour scheme, keep the light grey/blue that we have during the day but overnight it should be a warmer, darker, calmer colour

2, Bring back the thumb border outline boxes in the gallery which ‘cleaned’ the layout appearance of both aspect & size ratios

3, Add a delete option to the PM New Message overlay screen. I.e when I click the new message envelope icon it overlays telling me the message title etc and allows me to close the overlay but not delete the message unless I go right into it & even then I have to go to PM Inbox to carry this out

4, revisit the forum search feature so that latest results automatically come up first (info in threads can easily become out of date or even obsolete) the current settings of relevance is far too subjective to use as an ordering

5, Linked to tide times, only allow water-scapes to be uploaded when the tide is in at Morecambe Bay
Overread e2
6 3.9k 18 England
9 May 2011 1:13PM
1. I would like to see a highlight in ones own user gallery when new comments are made to a photo and the person has not yet viewed that photo since the comment was made. We get a date stamp, but could we maybe have that highlighted or something till the photo is viewed with the new comment. Otherwise its very easy to miss new comments, esp if they are put on older photos.
Emails is one method, but can also be annoying to get lots of these to ones email account and so is a feature I think many might disable to keep their email free of clutter.

2. A bit of whole site restructuring - I know this is something the team is doing all the time; but I still feel that EPZ offers the user a heck of a lot, but that most miss it because of the size and structure of the site. I can't really suggest an improvement directly there though - just my feeling on the matter.

3. Shooting anyone that starts ranting about votes/awards and how someone isn't getting enough Tongue

4. The "pro critique" I would like to see this return in some form or another. Maybe not as "pro" but "expert" (thus allowing those who are amateurs but also experienced in their fields to be part of the system not just working pros). I feel that comments/crit from experienced people, esp to new photographers, can be a great boost to their self confidence and also a worth while way to encourage our more experienced photographers to share their understandings.

5. Erm free cake on Fridays? Grin
devlin e2
4 651 39 India
9 May 2011 1:14PM
Few things in no particular order of importance Smile

1) remove the duplicate menu's at the top of the page for starters
2) On the RHS side re-arrange the blocks depending on relevance, i guess the ads are big enough here so maybe they can be pushed down and the more usefull stuff like related reviews / articles, current competions etc etc block's moved up to more prominent postions
3) I would revisit the main menu sub options and rationalize the listing's there after prioritizing them based on relevance and most used. Some of these listings can be found under the user settings / portfolio section and hence duplicated again
4) Iam not sure if its a bug but the unread posts function is probably set to reset itself from last visit which should probably change to a dateline for example i can say that all posts unread by the user cut of date last 30 days
5) Lastly the Home Page, speaking traditionally this is supposed to be a window into your site a sort of teaser to a new user as to what to expect, as it is right now it has a very cluttered look and feel and here it looses impact, the average attention span of a surfer on a new site is roughly under a minute, as such if the home page does not carry impact people generally tend to move on. Again here i would prioritize based on relevance and importance what i want to showcase.
6) A more effective self help maybe how to videos etc on various features of the site and how to use them

I realize the current version is probably a result of years of evolution, requests from people probably a wish to satisfy everyone etc and personally i appreciate the effort it must have taken to get this far....but you did ask Wink

Cheers

Prabh

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.