Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Top 5 things you would change on ePHOTOzine

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Nick_Hilton
9 May 2011 - 1:22 PM

I have mentioned over the past few years changing the gallery to have a slideshow function. Quite often I log onto Flickr and set a slideshow going while I have my lunch. Having a feature like this means you don't get board of clicking page forward and see a decent size representation of each image. If you wish to pause the slideshow to make a comment or vote you can do with ease.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
9 May 2011 - 1:22 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

TRUEX
TRUEX  7218 forum posts10 Constructive Critique Points
9 May 2011 - 2:05 PM

There was something else..

http://www.ephotozine.com/user/barkingmad-157878

Joined the site just to moan, probably won't contribute anything else ever again. Shouldn't the account be deleted?

I am aware i'm moaning here......lol

Jestertheclown

I'd like to see the groups made much more prominent and not just on the home page.
I know there are buttons all over the place already but perhaps a straightforward button or link on each of the gallery pages?

Allow everyone to upload images to the forum theads. Links are OK and I do use them but it's much more effective if the image is in the box instead.

There was a time when the challenges had a time limit and someone won. I believe there was even the occassional prize. I don't expect to see prizes given out and I don't think we need yet another award but it might tempt people back to the challenges if there was chance of at least being named somewhere.

Personally, I don't see any ads. at all if I'm at home as I've dealt with them myself but if I use another machine or stray onto Explorer, then they're all over the place and all of them, even the static ones, are a distraction.

Do something with the home page. I know this has been mentioned before but it really does nothing to entice people in.

Jester.

Jestertheclown

TRUEX has touched on a good point there. I don't mean the member in the link necessarily but how many of the 800k+ that it says you can reach at the top of this page actually are still members?
Would it be an idea to have a cull and people who haven't opened their account for a year (for example) were deleted?
I know we get a reminder now and again when we disappear for whatever reason but there must be members on the roll who in reality, are members no more.

Overread
Overread  63768 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
9 May 2011 - 2:22 PM

Jester - I know one site that does member culling - for that site they cull inactive accounts every 6 months or so (activity is simply logging in - you don't have to post anything, just log into the account within the 6 months -- and of course there are exception groups - on EPZ it would be E2 users of course).

Grampy
Grampy  4507 forum posts England71 Constructive Critique Points
9 May 2011 - 2:28 PM

I agree totally about the home page, I've just tried an experiment and asked my father to look at the site ,his reaction was that he wasn't sure what it was all about. Now i've had a look at it and frankly it's a jumbled mess ,looks more like a site selling equipment, with a bit of a look of a photo mag, which it certainly isn't any more .(sorry Pete but I presume that's your influence.) .
Phill

Jestertheclown

Quote: just log into the account within the 6 months -- and of course there are exception groups - on EPZ it would be E2 users of course).

Hi Alex,
That's the kind of thing I was thinking of really. I should havre discounted E2 members in my first post.
It just seems that there are a lot of "it's meeeee!", facebook type images appearing on here recently and I wonder if their owners ever re-appear. Then there are the members who, for whatever reason, have simply disappeared. I'm not sure how, or even if, the site would benefit by geting rid of the deadwood but if nothing else, it must make some space somewhere.

Jester.

Last Modified By Jestertheclown at 9 May 2011 - 2:36 PM
Overread
Overread  63768 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
9 May 2011 - 2:49 PM

I think its a tricky point to bring in though since EPZ has operated for many years without a culling of members - to introduce it now would probably cause some troubles for older members who might not be around currently to see the policy change - esp since some will clean out their profiles of photos when they leave for extended periods.

Losing some deadweight might help things out and it does free up user names for new members rather than having large numbers of them held by dead accounts.

devlin
devlin  4651 forum posts India39 Constructive Critique Points
9 May 2011 - 2:54 PM

Quote: I think its a tricky point to bring in though since EPZ has operated for many years without a culling of members - to introduce it now would probably cause some troubles for older members who might not be around currently to see the policy change - esp since some will clean out their profiles of photos when they leave for extended periods.

Losing some deadweight might help things out and it does free up user names for new members rather than having large numbers of them held by dead accounts.

To be honest this doesn't really impact the site experience since many of these people by virtue of being not active are invisible to the rest of the membership the only thing it will do is an honest appraisal of where the site is for the owners.......username availability to my mind is not or should not be a primary factor for people to join up at least its not been the case so far in my experience...it maybe desirable but i dont think its a necessity either...

Cheers

Prabh

Jestertheclown

. . . as I said, I wasn't sure that it would serve any purpose. It was really just a question.

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014816 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
9 May 2011 - 3:00 PM

1) More fun
2) Less moaning
3) Less cliques
4) More "user" involvement throughout the site
5) the myhical and impossible "votes based on merit not friends" voting system which will be delivered by a Klingon on a Unicorn Wink

i.e. its the "users" not the "team" that need to change to make EPZ a better place

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53629 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
9 May 2011 - 3:49 PM

Quote:
5) the myhical and impossible "votes based on merit not friends" voting system which will be delivered by a Klingon on a Unicorn Wink

6)
Ah blind voting, let all 2 day old photo's with over 5 votes go into a blind vote category where only title is included - our blind (votes or skip button) selections are then also real votes (if we did not already vote for that pic), but we get to see at each stage if we are similair or different to others in our assesment of the picture.
What's in it for me - i get to hone my judging skills to learn what works among my peers. Its a bit like the challenges at present but on a 2 day rolling cycle.
So if you rate a pic at 5 or over it gets an extra vote if you did not vole already - 2 chances for someone to see your photo. After blind voting you get to see who took the actual shot for comments if you want.

pablo69
pablo69  6200 forum posts England7 Constructive Critique Points
9 May 2011 - 3:55 PM

Quote: 1) More fun
2) Less moaning
3) Less cliques
4) More "user" involvement throughout the site

i.e. its the "users" not the "team" that need to change to make EPZ a better place

Agree with ade particularly the last comment you can only get out what you put in TongueTongueTongueTongue blah clichés

Big Bri
Big Bri  1315591 forum posts United Kingdom
9 May 2011 - 4:19 PM

1. fix the speed. come on.
2. get rid of the ads
3. allow users to customise their homepage
4. get rid of the trolls and spammers ( I like Chris's idea of not allowing new users to post links)
5. weekly delivery of a bottle of Jura to all members who have 10 years on site

Big Bri
Big Bri  1315591 forum posts United Kingdom
9 May 2011 - 4:29 PM

Oh, and remove the damn "Terms and Conditions Changed" message, for goodness sake!! Or at least, show me what has changed.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.