Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Top Photography Tips!

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

RoyBoy
RoyBoy  9171 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
21 Dec 2008 - 2:32 PM

Carry small piece of black mount board (circa 150mm x 120mm or 120mm x 100mm) and cut rectangle in it of 35mm film proportions. Offer up towards eye to aid composition before deciding exact place for siting tripod/taking picture. If don't have black-side mount use ordinary thick card or mountboard and apply black felt-tip marker.

Regards
Roy

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
21 Dec 2008 - 2:32 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

scottishphototours

Looking for something to protect your expensive lenses or kit while in your bag or case ? - try microfibre cloths.

Tesco sell them in the car section dirt cheap (as in 1/4 of Jessops price) but the best buy is Costco - a bag of 20 for 10.

Andy.

sergedlm
sergedlm  5 United Kingdom
22 Dec 2008 - 3:58 PM

Quote: Excellent tips. I remember from TV's Trade Secrets (before I had a camera) about diffusing the onboard flash with a cigarette paper. Wish they'd show the whole series again.

you can also use the handle of a milk carton has a diffuser,
cut the handle off measure it against camera flash then cut to size make a cut at the back and slide over flash you can use this also for other flashes

also check this web site out to Http://www.diyphotography.net/

Last Modified By sergedlm at 22 Dec 2008 - 4:00 PM
Milvus
Milvus  7168 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
22 Dec 2008 - 10:25 PM

Have an after shoot routine that you always stick too no matter how tired or busy you are. Some sound obvious but you learn from your mistakes:
For example:
Put battery on charge immediately.
Download photos from card straight away ideally writing to two different locations.
Reset camera settings. i.e if you have been shooting at high ISO reset back to ISO 200, WB back to auto etc.
Put cards back in camera bag after downloading.
Make sure fully recharged battery goes back into camera and any spares are recharged.

Lofty100
Lofty100  770 forum posts United Kingdom
23 Dec 2008 - 9:06 PM

Include an image on your camera / memory card / flash drive etc, showing your name, mobile (cell) phone number and e-mail address. Do not put your land-line or physical address (you do not want uninvited guests, do you?

That way if anyone honest finds your lost property they can contact you to let you know.

Last Modified By Lofty100 at 23 Dec 2008 - 9:07 PM
SuziBlue
SuziBlue  1116195 forum posts Scotland10 Constructive Critique Points
23 Dec 2008 - 9:47 PM

Quote: Include an image on your camera / memory card / flash drive etc, showing your name, mobile (cell) phone number and e-mail address. Do not put your land-line or physical address (you do not want uninvited guests, do you?

That way if anyone honest finds your lost property they can contact you to let you know.

Wow that's one of the best ideas I've ever seen.

Anthony
Anthony  125645 forum posts Scotland17 Constructive Critique Points
23 Dec 2008 - 10:35 PM

with the software that came with my Canon, i can add my name to the camera, every shot I take with it, has my name, may be wirth seeing how much space is there for an e-mail and number etc.

Keep a note of all camera serial numbers too. I also have shot some raw images, with my driving licence in the frame, to prove the equipment has been inmy possession.

Anthony

scottishphototours

Here's another one for beginners....

Every month of the year, print out your best image and frame it. Replace it with the next one and move the first one behind the fits one. At the end of the year you have 12 prints and you can see how you're photography is developing (even better, write the technical details on the back of each print).

You could also add an image to your epz portfolio...

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
23 Dec 2008 - 11:14 PM

I like your tips, Andy.

f8
f8  119169 forum posts England22 Constructive Critique Points
23 Dec 2008 - 11:31 PM

I was out taking photos a few years ago of fungi in a park I laid down and rolled around for a few minutes to get the best shots, when I got up I found I was covered in dog poo!! UGH and I had to drive all the way home smelling awful,my mate was'nt chuffed about it either. So now I always carry a plastic sheet to lie on and I don't get dog pooed.

Hugo
Hugo  9639 forum posts United Kingdom
24 Dec 2008 - 2:28 AM

I did that - You can do it in Photoshop too -simple text on white/black background - the Canon camera utility program allows you send files back to the camera. Or maybe just copy and paste it to the card??
Set that file as "delete proof" on the camera.

NEWMANP
NEWMANP e2 Member 61587 forum postsNEWMANP vcard United Kingdom574 Constructive Critique Points
24 Dec 2008 - 8:21 AM

i always carry a little box of poundstretcher lens wipes (meant for spectacles) they are good for cleaning filters and wiping dust of the outside of the camera body and lens and much better than using your teeshirt.

when you carry the camera slung over your shoulder, turn the lens inwards and not pointing outwards, it rolls on your hip better and stops you banging the business end. took me 30 yrs to realise this one.

look for unusual viewpoints, laydown, stand on a wall, look down from a tree anything to avoid a 5ft 3" eye height view. laid down usually works well.

dont put your bag down on Higger tor and wander off changing view and angle because those rocks all look alike and it can take some finding again, (i do it everytime) Wink

dont putthe bag down at the side of the car when you take off your boots, somepeople "and they know who they are" drive off leaving it behind.

last one, make sure you have a label with contact details on as much gear as possible, those keyring things are good, just in case you drive off and leave your bag.

Phil

Last Modified By NEWMANP at 24 Dec 2008 - 8:25 AM
Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139445 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
22 Jul 2009 - 4:23 PM

A 512Mb card would take 4 TIFFs from my 5D II. Wink

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139445 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
22 Jul 2009 - 5:19 PM

I don't shoot TIFFs either but I'm blowed if I'm just saving the RAWs after I worked on them and saved as TIFFs.

lawbert
lawbert  71713 forum posts England15 Constructive Critique Points
16 Feb 2011 - 7:03 PM

Lol....Steady on gorgeous....Im not trying to step on your toes here...Please ask for my one to be deleted or renamedSmile

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.