Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Top Ten Dream Jobs: Photographer

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

50% OFF new PortraitPro 12, plus EXTRA 5% OFF code EPHZROS414
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Carabosse
    Carabosse e2 Member 1139370 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
    29 Oct 2012 - 12:14 PM

'Photographer' seems to be a dream job (no. 4 in the top 10), according to the list here. Beating even 'singer' or 'actor'.

Should there be an X-Factor type TV show for photographers? Wink

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    29 Oct 2012 - 12:14 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

adamduckworth
    29 Oct 2012 - 12:45 PM

You mean a bit like this one...

The Shot

Last Modified By adamduckworth at 29 Oct 2012 - 1:33 PM
    JackAllTog
    JackAllTog e2 Member 53471 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
    29 Oct 2012 - 12:47 PM

There was an 'apprentice' type one last year, two students and one expert - different set of people each week.
    There was also that one with the 6/8 Models, and the photographer - quite good.
    There is also a fashion channel on free sat in the evenings, relentless streaming of catwalks - not sure if this helps my photography though.

Photography has a lot of prep (& for some post process) for a moment in time, the X factor format would be hard to replicate though perhaps ephotozine.tv is already there. Wink

lemmy
    lemmy  61676 forum posts United Kingdom
    29 Oct 2012 - 1:00 PM

Quote: 'Photographer' seems to be a dream job

Mine certainly was. Sometimes I found it hard to believe someone would pay me so much to do such exciting things. Some nasty moments though when I wished I was anything but a photographer such as when a drunken Serb soldier stuck his cocked rifle through my car window and showed every intention of shooting me.

I wouldn't enjoy the job quite so much today. Wonderful as the digital age is, it has taken away quite a lot of the photographer's autonomy.

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1214407 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    29 Oct 2012 - 7:07 PM

Seems a lot of people live in a fantasy world(why else call them dream jobs Smile )

Most of if not all of those jobs are high demanding and for the best part pretty poorly paid, if at all.

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 29 Oct 2012 - 7:10 PM
    Carabosse
    Carabosse e2 Member 1139370 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
    29 Oct 2012 - 7:37 PM

Quote: Seems a lot of people live in a fantasy world(why else call them dream jobs Smile )

Most of if not all of those jobs are high demanding and for the best part pretty poorly paid, if at all.

That's what struck me too!

User_Removed
    29 Oct 2012 - 7:49 PM

"Photographer" is rather a broad occupational category.

Imagine being a hospital photographer and spending your working life taking photos of patients' diseased organs. Or a foresnsic photographer snapping crime scenes.

Could be a nightmare job rather than a dream.

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1214407 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    29 Oct 2012 - 8:01 PM

N0 2 gets me, charity work, this can be one of the most demanding types of work but its also one of the most rewarding in other ways.

Dave_Canon
    30 Oct 2012 - 9:47 AM

As it said "dream Job". Faced with reality, I do not think that the list would be the same if people understood the various jobs then had a choice.

I would never have wanted to be a professional photographer myself apart from the fact that I could earn a lot more doing other things. However, I am very happy with photography as a hobby.

Dave

Jestertheclown
    30 Oct 2012 - 9:58 AM

Quote: Or a foresnsic photographer snapping crime scenes.

I could live with that.

mikehit
    mikehit e2 Member 45781 forum postsmikehit vcard United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Oct 2012 - 10:16 AM

When I spent a couple of years travelling, unencumbered by the needs to make ends meet I mused in this many times. I kept on coming back to two totally unrelated areas: the first was whether to be a vulcanologist or a glaciologist but decided that volcanoes were more exciting - or maybe a new science of Iceland-ologist where they have both. The other was a biomechanical engineer helping design better prosthetics and limbs.

Unfortunately when I decided it was time to return to get a job again I, like most others, took the safe route and went back to what I was good at. Not that I haven't enjoyed it, but there is sometimes that twinge at not having taken the jump...

Last Modified By mikehit at 30 Oct 2012 - 10:16 AM
    lemmy
    lemmy  61676 forum posts United Kingdom
    30 Oct 2012 - 10:39 AM

Nothing is a 'dream job' as such because everyone's dreams are different.

For me, I can't think of a job that could have suited me better but there was a price to be paid in that you could never make social arrangements because you never knew where you'd be. And you needed an understanding family. There was no division between my working life and my day to day life and I think many people and their families would find that hard to cope with.

If I had had to cover weddings or photograph buildings or something like that then the trade off would not have been worth it but as it was the excitement and variety of it all was addictive.

One Friday night I was in a cab on my way to Heathrow and I happened to look into the window of a Chinese restaurant in Kensington. In there were all sorts of people laughing and eating and drinking and it struck me that I'd much rather be in there than in another b***dy airport lounge on a Friday evening. I was 53 then and retired two years later.

I think folk who 'dream' of being a professional photographer see only the positive side of it, like the people who 'dream' of having a little bar in Spain.

I had a chance to experience my 'dream', after i retired to France, which was to play in a small band, just around pubs and bars. I tried it and it put me off immediately. I had seen myself playing a bit of blues, some rock, maybe even trying to do something a little jazzy, plugging in the Strat and enjoying myself while, hopefully, entertaining some people.

In practise, I drove 30 miles across some mountains in driving rain to a bar full of people who talked all the time while we played music I didn't want to listen to, let alone play, for a fee which just about covered the cost of my travel. It didn't take me long to realise that I was a lot happier playing for fun at home than living my dream.

I suspect the same would be true for many who dream of being a professional photographer.

mattw
    mattw  105189 forum posts United Kingdom10 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Oct 2012 - 12:22 PM

I saw a similar US based list a few years ago. Travel photographer was at #2, and fashion photographer was at #3.....

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.