Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Torches

KevSB
10 1.5k 5 United Kingdom
22 May 2012 1:47PM
Has anyone seen the redicoulous prices Olympic torches are being sold, one went last night for 156 thousend, anotherseller is asking for one used in july 75k, While I cannot blame the persons selling them , this is a once in a lifetime opportunity to make some serious cash.

I cannot help think it just makes A mockery of those who are honoured to be asked, I realise some will moan about hating the olypics ect, but Thats not the point, I know alot of persons who would have done this just as an honour for thier Country.
Not even sure Who paid for these torches, was it us the Tax payer. It makes me sad there seems to be so little morals in this country.

A search on ebay will show you prices being asked

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
22 May 2012 1:51PM
Kev, I was going to post the same thing! LOL.
I just think it is not right for the torchbearers to sell them on ebay and pocket most if not all the money!
Aren't they all nominated for their contributions? Surely if they are such nice people, those money would be mostly go to charity or whatever.
From what I read, they are offered to buy the torches at a discounted cost price. (cost price is £400+ I think, and they can buy the torch for around £200 +).
It is a mockery.
mattw e2
11 5.2k 10 United Kingdom
22 May 2012 1:57PM

Quote:one went last night for 156 thousend,

Was that one not raising money for charity?
Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
22 May 2012 2:00PM
answersonapostcard e2
10 12.7k 15 United Kingdom
22 May 2012 2:03PM
I'm surprised the Olympic committee didnt have that event covered, especially as they are so tight on advertising involvement in the projects in some areas and copyright.

I dont mind personally, if its for charity. But the moral issue surrounding profiteering from a position of privelage I'm still at odds with.
NEWDIGIT 3 401 United Kingdom
22 May 2012 2:11PM
Just goes to show that the entire olympic event is a MONEY PIT and its us the tax payer that will be forking out for ever and a day.
Just take a look at the Bejing Olympic venues now in a state of virtual ruin and they reputedly were the dearest to build and host ever.
As for the torches they should have been provided by the event organisation and returned when finished with they could have then be sold for charity but why anyone would want one baffles me there not exactly artistic are they?
Will I watch the torch pass by fifteen miles away NO!
Will I watch the games, I will no doubt see some as it will be plastered on every channel and every news item.
cats_123 e2
10 4.3k 25 Northern Ireland
22 May 2012 2:17PM
surely it's taxpayers money..if I had given away `assets' when I worked for the government I would have been sacked!

The torch is passing within about 12 miles of me...but at 6.00am!!! whoever organised this wants their head examining GrinGrinGrinGrin
answersonapostcard e2
22 May 2012 2:24PM
The 'value' may not be sustainable though.
mohikan22 e2
10 2.3k 1 United Kingdom
22 May 2012 2:47PM
slightly askew from the torch but to do with these flaming olympics!! http://www.highways.gov.uk/roads/projects/30554.aspx

take a perfectly good roundabout (with rabbits) flatten it and fit a new roundabout (hamburger style) with 70 yes 70!! sets of traffic lights!!! WTF!!!!
mohikan22 e2
10 2.3k 1 United Kingdom
22 May 2012 2:48PM
p.s. Although the scheme is entirely justified by the benefits that will be gained over the next 10 years without taking any account of the Olympics, it is absolutely true that it will hugely benefit the operation of the Olympic Route Network to Weymouth. The effective operation of the Olympic Route Network is vital to the success of the Olympics. If the scheme were delayed until after the Olympic Games, a year's worth of benefits would be lost, as the scheme has a predicted life of 10 years before traffic flows return to existing levels.

CRAP!
ikett e2
4 372 England
22 May 2012 2:57PM
The Olympic Games! Who actually cares or is interested, professional athletes, politicians, property tycoons, media companies.

All the above will no doubt make a lot of money, and the tax payer will pick up the real cost.

London can barely cope with every day transport, took me two and a half hours last week to get from the centre to the road to civilisation the M1.

I really feel sorry for London.

Just realised Iíve written professional athlete, in my youth (eons ago) I though it was amateurs only.

Oh dear ranting, now running away!!!!!!!!!!
lobsterboy e2
11 14.3k 13 United Kingdom
22 May 2012 3:02PM

Quote:Who actually cares or is interested

All the thousands who bought tickets and the millions who will watch it on TV...

I'm currently bidding on this one
answersonapostcard e2
22 May 2012 3:10PM
it comes with batteries too, marvellous Grin
Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
22 May 2012 3:10PM
oh come on, this is about the torches, not the games.....lol
mohikan22 e2
10 2.3k 1 United Kingdom
22 May 2012 3:16PM
make some of ya own and ebay them, bit of drilled steeled or hell go for the chickenwire look Grin

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.