Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Torches

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

KevSB
KevSB  101407 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
22 May 2012 - 1:47 PM

Has anyone seen the redicoulous prices Olympic torches are being sold, one went last night for 156 thousend, anotherseller is asking for one used in july 75k, While I cannot blame the persons selling them , this is a once in a lifetime opportunity to make some serious cash.

I cannot help think it just makes A mockery of those who are honoured to be asked, I realise some will moan about hating the olypics ect, but Thats not the point, I know alot of persons who would have done this just as an honour for thier Country.
Not even sure Who paid for these torches, was it us the Tax payer. It makes me sad there seems to be so little morals in this country.

A search on ebay will show you prices being asked

Last Modified By KevSB at 22 May 2012 - 1:48 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
22 May 2012 - 1:47 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
22 May 2012 - 1:51 PM

Kev, I was going to post the same thing! LOL.
I just think it is not right for the torchbearers to sell them on ebay and pocket most if not all the money!
Aren't they all nominated for their contributions? Surely if they are such nice people, those money would be mostly go to charity or whatever.
From what I read, they are offered to buy the torches at a discounted cost price. (cost price is £400+ I think, and they can buy the torch for around £200 +).
It is a mockery.

mattw
mattw  105189 forum posts United Kingdom10 Constructive Critique Points
22 May 2012 - 1:57 PM

Quote: one went last night for 156 thousend,

Was that one not raising money for charity?

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
22 May 2012 - 2:00 PM

See the lists here

News on Sky did mention about using money for the community gardening project, but how much of the money.

Last Modified By Coleslaw at 22 May 2012 - 2:03 PM
answersonapostcard
answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012603 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
22 May 2012 - 2:03 PM

I'm surprised the Olympic committee didnt have that event covered, especially as they are so tight on advertising involvement in the projects in some areas and copyright.

I dont mind personally, if its for charity. But the moral issue surrounding profiteering from a position of privelage I'm still at odds with.

Last Modified By answersonapostcard at 22 May 2012 - 2:06 PM
NEWDIGIT
NEWDIGIT  3401 forum posts United Kingdom
22 May 2012 - 2:11 PM

Just goes to show that the entire olympic event is a MONEY PIT and its us the tax payer that will be forking out for ever and a day.
Just take a look at the Bejing Olympic venues now in a state of virtual ruin and they reputedly were the dearest to build and host ever.
As for the torches they should have been provided by the event organisation and returned when finished with they could have then be sold for charity but why anyone would want one baffles me there not exactly artistic are they?
Will I watch the torch pass by fifteen miles away NO!
Will I watch the games, I will no doubt see some as it will be plastered on every channel and every news item.

cats_123
cats_123 e2 Member 104023 forum postscats_123 vcard Northern Ireland25 Constructive Critique Points
22 May 2012 - 2:17 PM

surely it's taxpayers money..if I had given away `assets' when I worked for the government I would have been sacked!

The torch is passing within about 12 miles of me...but at 6.00am!!! whoever organised this wants their head examining GrinGrinGrinGrin

answersonapostcard
answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012603 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
22 May 2012 - 2:24 PM

The 'value' may not be sustainable though.

mohikan22
mohikan22  102188 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
22 May 2012 - 2:47 PM

slightly askew from the torch but to do with these flaming olympics!! http://www.highways.gov.uk/roads/projects/30554.aspx

take a perfectly good roundabout (with rabbits) flatten it and fit a new roundabout (hamburger style) with 70 yes 70!! sets of traffic lights!!! WTF!!!!

mohikan22
22 May 2012 - 2:48 PM

p.s. Although the scheme is entirely justified by the benefits that will be gained over the next 10 years without taking any account of the Olympics, it is absolutely true that it will hugely benefit the operation of the Olympic Route Network to Weymouth. The effective operation of the Olympic Route Network is vital to the success of the Olympics. If the scheme were delayed until after the Olympic Games, a year's worth of benefits would be lost, as the scheme has a predicted life of 10 years before traffic flows return to existing levels.

CRAP!

ikett
ikett  4351 forum posts England
22 May 2012 - 2:57 PM

The Olympic Games! Who actually cares or is interested, professional athletes, politicians, property tycoons, media companies.

All the above will no doubt make a lot of money, and the tax payer will pick up the real cost.

London can barely cope with every day transport, took me two and a half hours last week to get from the centre to the road to civilisation the M1.

I really feel sorry for London.

Just realised Iíve written professional athlete, in my youth (eons ago) I though it was amateurs only.

Oh dear ranting, now running away!!!!!!!!!!

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014137 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
22 May 2012 - 3:02 PM

Quote: Who actually cares or is interested

All the thousands who bought tickets and the millions who will watch it on TV...

I'm currently bidding on this one

Last Modified By lobsterboy at 22 May 2012 - 3:03 PM
answersonapostcard
22 May 2012 - 3:10 PM

it comes with batteries too, marvellous Grin

Last Modified By answersonapostcard at 22 May 2012 - 3:11 PM
Coleslaw
22 May 2012 - 3:10 PM

oh come on, this is about the torches, not the games.....lol

mohikan22
22 May 2012 - 3:16 PM

make some of ya own and ebay them, bit of drilled steeled or hell go for the chickenwire look Grin

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.