Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Total newbie looking for help with camera purchase

2 Feb 2014 9:58PM
I am a total novice in photography and don't know anything about how to adjust settings on cameras. I am looking to purchase a camera for my every day needs. I mostly photograph my constantly moving young children, outdoor activities, and scenery while we are hiking/snowshoeing/camping etc.
I prefer pictures that are up close but I don't necessarily like to be right in their face to get it. I want a decent photo without needing an SLR, which is too bulky for my needs and I don't know how to use it effectively anyway. I would prefer to spend less than approximately $500.

What kind of specifications should I be looking for? Any particular cameras?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

2 Feb 2014 9:59PM
It was recommended that I try the fujifilm x20 and I have that in hand. It looks like it will take perfectly fine pictures but I am worried the zoom is not enough.
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
2 Feb 2014 10:35PM
It a good little camera, the zoom of 108mm should be perfectly long enough for your needs
jemraid 9 45 England
3 Feb 2014 11:33AM
Hello MH,

I agree with Paul I use the previous model the X10 and can easily print to 12 x 16 with it. It also copes with contrasty conditions very well indeed here's an example.

1-grabshot.jpg

This is out of camera and you can see that the sensor has held the highlights very well indeed. All it needed was a little bit of brightening in the centre, the stall holder was very happy with the print Smile

Jem
3 Feb 2014 6:36PM
Do you lose picture quality when you use an ultra zoom? The one I was thinking of getting is the Panasonic fz200.
If I keep the x20, I'm assuming that I'll be able to zoom in and crop if I need to and the quality will still be good? I don't plan to enlarge anything bigger than 8x10. Mayyyyyyybe 11x14 if I really loved it.
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
3 Feb 2014 7:18PM
You could probably get away with cropping a little, but if your going to be doing this a lot, it would be better getting a camera with a lens with more reach.

I too use an x10 and it is fine for most occasions when all I want to carry is a compact.
3 Feb 2014 8:57PM
That's where my dilemma is. I don't think I'll enjoy lugging around anything too big while I'm hiking, chasing kids, etc. but then again they might be 20-30 meters away and I'll wish I had a good zoom on their face.
jemraid 9 45 England
4 Feb 2014 12:11AM
Hmmmm the new Panasonic TZ60 may be a good choice small body huge zoom;

http://www.dpreview.com/products/panasonic/compacts/panasonic_dmczs40

I used their LX4 at one time and could get 12x16 prints off it at ISO100.

Jem
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
4 Feb 2014 12:17AM
I have found the Panasonic LF1 to be an excellent camera. I probably use it more than my system camera.
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
4 Feb 2014 2:05AM
4 Feb 2014 3:37AM
Sounds like you might want Wifi and GPS. Mainly outdoor photography- so you are not too concerned about sensor size and depth of field etc. So I could look at Canon G16 or S120. That's about $400. Those are good cameras. You could also go with a fun camera like Nikon AW110 or Pentax WG3-that would be the colorful, waterproof, freezeproof kind. You might want to run a feature search for cameras on a site like TraitMix.com to get the lay of the land.
4 Feb 2014 6:32AM
Thanks! That'll give me something to chew on!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.