Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Total newbie looking for help with camera purchase

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Mamahen
    2 Feb 2014 - 9:58 PM

I am a total novice in photography and don't know anything about how to adjust settings on cameras. I am looking to purchase a camera for my every day needs. I mostly photograph my constantly moving young children, outdoor activities, and scenery while we are hiking/snowshoeing/camping etc.
    I prefer pictures that are up close but I don't necessarily like to be right in their face to get it. I want a decent photo without needing an SLR, which is too bulky for my needs and I don't know how to use it effectively anyway. I would prefer to spend less than approximately $500.

What kind of specifications should I be looking for? Any particular cameras?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    2 Feb 2014 - 9:58 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Mamahen
    2 Feb 2014 - 9:59 PM

It was recommended that I try the fujifilm x20 and I have that in hand. It looks like it will take perfectly fine pictures but I am worried the zoom is not enough.

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1214381 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    2 Feb 2014 - 10:35 PM

It a good little camera, the zoom of 108mm should be perfectly long enough for your needs

jemraid
    jemraid e2 Member 841 forum postsjemraid vcard England
    3 Feb 2014 - 11:33 AM

Hello MH,

I agree with Paul I use the previous model the X10 and can easily print to 12 x 16 with it. It also copes with contrasty conditions very well indeed here's an example.

1-grabshot.jpg

This is out of camera and you can see that the sensor has held the highlights very well indeed. All it needed was a little bit of brightening in the centre, the stall holder was very happy with the print Smile

Jem

Mamahen
    3 Feb 2014 - 6:36 PM

Do you lose picture quality when you use an ultra zoom? The one I was thinking of getting is the Panasonic fz200.
    If I keep the x20, I'm assuming that I'll be able to zoom in and crop if I need to and the quality will still be good? I don't plan to enlarge anything bigger than 8x10. Mayyyyyyybe 11x14 if I really loved it.

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1214381 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    3 Feb 2014 - 7:18 PM

You could probably get away with cropping a little, but if your going to be doing this a lot, it would be better getting a camera with a lens with more reach.

I too use an x10 and it is fine for most occasions when all I want to carry is a compact.

Mamahen
    3 Feb 2014 - 8:57 PM

That's where my dilemma is. I don't think I'll enjoy lugging around anything too big while I'm hiking, chasing kids, etc. but then again they might be 20-30 meters away and I'll wish I had a good zoom on their face.

jemraid
    jemraid e2 Member 841 forum postsjemraid vcard England
    4 Feb 2014 - 12:11 AM

Hmmmm the new Panasonic TZ60 may be a good choice small body huge zoom;

http://www.dpreview.com/products/panasonic/compacts/panasonic_dmczs40

I used their LX4 at one time and could get 12x16 prints off it at ISO100.

Jem

Carabosse
    Carabosse e2 Member 1139367 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
    4 Feb 2014 - 12:17 AM

I have found the Panasonic LF1 to be an excellent camera. I probably use it more than my system camera.

Last Modified By Carabosse at 4 Feb 2014 - 12:18 AM
    Paul Morgan
    4 Feb 2014 - 2:05 AM

The new Stylus 1 is pretty good.

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/olympus-stylus-1-review-23438
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Olympus-Stylus-Compact-Digital-Camera/dp/B00G67TK9S/ref=...

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 4 Feb 2014 - 2:06 AM
    andicbair
    4 Feb 2014 - 3:37 AM

Sounds like you might want Wifi and GPS. Mainly outdoor photography- so you are not too concerned about sensor size and depth of field etc. So I could look at Canon G16 or S120. That's about $400. Those are good cameras. You could also go with a fun camera like Nikon AW110 or Pentax WG3-that would be the colorful, waterproof, freezeproof kind. You might want to run a feature search for cameras on a site like TraitMix.com to get the lay of the land.

Mamahen
    4 Feb 2014 - 6:32 AM

Thanks! That'll give me something to chew on!

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.