Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Total Rip Off

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

bikerbob
bikerbob  12173 forum posts
18 Apr 2013 - 10:16 AM

When are these printer manufacturers going to stop robbing us all blind. I have 2 printers an Epson R2880 which is used solely for photos and an Epson SX438W which Iuse for general printing. The SX438W has 4 cartridges which retail for about £30 you can get a set of cartridges for the R2880 9 but holds 8 varies from about £75 upwards. My problem is when you check the amount of ink that is in the SX438W cartridges they only hold 3.5ml which is about 1/3 of what is in the R2880 this makes the cheaper printer a very expensive printer to run in terms of the amount of ink you are buying, you get about 15ml of ink for £30 in the SX438W against close to 100ml in the R2880 for £75 all inks are genuine Epson. I have tried compatibles in the cheaper printer but had nothing but problems, first problem was you could not mix genuine Epson cartridges with the compatibles you have to have all one or the other also, when one of the compatibles ran out and was replaced the printer would not recognise that it had been replaced and kept telling me to replace it also at that point it did not recognise the other 3 cartridges.Ihave now retuned to genuine Epson cartridges.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
18 Apr 2013 - 10:16 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mikehit
mikehit  46154 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
18 Apr 2013 - 10:30 AM

Getting the printer to recognise third party inks is a common problem. I don't know if this will help and it involves disabling the status monitor.
http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_6163069_make-printer-recognize-clone-cartridges.html

Ade_Osman
Ade_Osman e2 Member 114484 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
18 Apr 2013 - 10:38 AM

I only ever use my printers for the odd photograph here and there as and when needed. I learnt a long time ago that it's more cost effective to use an online printing company such as Photobox/Snapfish et al for general everyday printing and Loxleycolour for the more high quality wedding and exhibition work.

cameracat
cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
18 Apr 2013 - 12:12 PM

Quote: I only ever use my printers for the odd photograph here and there as and when needed. I learnt a long time ago that it's more cost effective to use an online printing company such as Photobox/Snapfish et al for general everyday printing and Loxleycolour for the more high quality wedding and exhibition work.

Second that, Have not looked back since taking this route, The quality results from professional labs can not be matched by inkjets....Period...!!!

pablo69
pablo69  6200 forum posts England7 Constructive Critique Points
18 Apr 2013 - 12:30 PM

Quote: The quality results from professional labs can not be matched by inkjets....Period...!!!

Opinion only, I have found better quaility printing from home, plus I get to choose what paper I use

bikerbob
bikerbob  12173 forum posts
18 Apr 2013 - 3:28 PM

Thanks for that link mikehit I will keep that and when the Epson inks run out I will try the compatibles again. But as I said originally I only use the R2880 for photos and the SX438W for general printing of documents etc. As regards getting prints done on line that is something that I might consider when the R2880 packs in, I have seen a number of prints in my capacity as print sec for my local camera club and it is getting more popular but you are limited to the type of paper you can get and there are some that could have been better if done at home on a good printer particularly B/W.

Gundog
Gundog  1624 forum posts Scotland
18 Apr 2013 - 3:53 PM

Quote: The quality results from professional labs can not be matched by inkjets....Period...!!!

Opinion only, I have found better quaility printing from home, plus I get to choose what paper I use

Yep. I hold the opposite opinion - I get far higher quality printing at home than from any commercial lab. (Unless. of course, I was able to go in and supervise the lab printing personally).

But it does come at a cost, I am afraid, as, to make and see a real difference, you do have to use the best paper and manufacturer's inks.

keithh
keithh  1022769 forum posts Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
18 Apr 2013 - 4:53 PM

Out of interest, Gundog. What part of the lab printing process would you supervise. The loading of the paper or the pressing of the print button?

collywobles
18 Apr 2013 - 5:40 PM

Quote: I only ever use my printers for the odd photograph here and there as and when needed. I learnt a long time ago that it's more cost effective to use an online printing company

Me too!

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110165 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
18 Apr 2013 - 5:41 PM

my experience as well, supported by competition judges comments and sales to the public

As to cost - cartridges may seem expensive to buy but a 15"x10" print off my R3000 works out at less than £1.50 in ink (not bad when the paper I use costs £2.50+, but as I sell the mounted print at £20, so I'm not complaining Smile )

I haven't yet found a commercial source of prints made on fine art papers of the kind I use for anything like as little as it costs to do it myself, even including the write-off cost of the printer (but I realise that if I used standard gloss / satin papers the likes of DScolour labs can do them for around £0.65 a go at this size)

Last Modified By brian1208 at 18 Apr 2013 - 5:48 PM
StrayCat
StrayCat  1014456 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
18 Apr 2013 - 5:42 PM

Me too!+1

Gundog
Gundog  1624 forum posts Scotland
19 Apr 2013 - 8:50 AM

Quote: Out of interest, Gundog. What part of the lab printing process would you supervise. The loading of the paper or the pressing of the print button?

The assessment of the final output, Keith, and the ability to make them do it again, with any necessary adjustments, in minutes rather than days. For my own work (one of the reasons I warn about the costs) on average I probably make 3 or 4 prints before I get one that I am completely satisfied with.

Despite what some of the pundits mights say, it does not matter how well your monitors and printer are calibrated and profiled, how much the ambient light in your processing studio is controlled - a print is fundamentally a different animal from an image on a monitor. Many reasons for this - the most obvious of which is the fact that a print is viewed by reflected light. It is, therefore, not possible to be sure that a print is going to look exactly as the image does on a monitor.

I would also second what Brian says above - there is no doubt that prints produced by photographers at home, all other things being equal, tend to do better in competitions and salons than those that are commercially produced.

Last Modified By Gundog at 19 Apr 2013 - 8:51 AM
keithh
keithh  1022769 forum posts Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
19 Apr 2013 - 10:50 AM

Quote: on average I probably make 3 or 4 prints before I get one that I am completely satisfied with

No. On average? How many? My workflow is such that I know what I'm going to get before I press print. Its a good job your're not trying to run a business with those wastage costs.

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110165 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
19 Apr 2013 - 11:26 AM

Quote: My workflow is such that I know what I'm going to get before I press print

ditto, I rarely have to make a second "correction" print these days.

The other thing I notice is the frequency with which club members and other photographer friends ask me to reprint images that commercial printers "haven't got quite right", particularly B&Ws.

They are suprised and pleased to be able to sit with me whilst I sort out their file, then print the image so that it looks like they wanted it to

Ade_Osman
Ade_Osman e2 Member 114484 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
19 Apr 2013 - 6:27 PM

The downside of printing from home is the limitation in size either A4 or A3+.......For my exhibition stuff of my images as I said earlier I always use Loxley Colour, they have a great choice of paper sizes, types (including Giclée fine art) and sizes, quality is always consistent and and they'll get in touch if they think they're going to have problems. It happened once when I inadvertently chose the wrong colour profile Blush When you need a A2 plus size print as I often do of one of my insects the quality and trust me when I say this will blow you away. Of course the other problem with inkjets is light fade over time. I use Epson Claria inks in my home printers, which are suppose to be resistant to light fade, unfortunately this isn't the case and it becomes apparent especially after exhibiting for long periods in bright daylight. All the prints I have from online printers both Photobox & Loxley are as fresh as the day I received them, not something I can say about the inkjet prints Sad

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.