Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Tracking you abroad

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

gcarth
gcarth e2 Member 102239 forum postsgcarth vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
9 Feb 2009 - 10:04 PM

Quote: The 9/11 terrorists were legal in the US as were the 7/7 terrorist in the OK. Most of Europe have limited land border controls and the airports are mostly quick checks.

Yes - which gives more weight to the argument that the government might have ulterior motives - or perhaps just as likely, they are simply too stupid and arrogant to be able to see the the sense in the point that you make!

Garth

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
9 Feb 2009 - 10:04 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Britman
Britman  81669 forum posts England
10 Feb 2009 - 4:59 PM

I'll repeat it, this is about keeping the real threat to them, you and I, under control. This WILL NOT stop any of the real terrorist or criminals.

What sort of a society are we allowing them to make for our kids?

"Daddy, what was it like to be free, free from the totalitarian Government we live under? Why did you let it happen, didn't you try to stop it?"

Bellie
Bellie  7507 forum posts
10 Feb 2009 - 5:03 PM

A case of paranoia perhaps? Smile

mdpontin
mdpontin  106016 forum posts Scotland
10 Feb 2009 - 5:04 PM

Is it, though? It's certainly hard to see how such measures can be justified, since the stated purpose makes little sense. So what's it for?

Last Modified By mdpontin at 10 Feb 2009 - 5:05 PM
Bellie
Bellie  7507 forum posts
10 Feb 2009 - 5:09 PM

Probably because the people who need to find out where some bad sort has been, can't be too fussed in putting a lot of hard graft into finding out these days, so they think having a database is the answer then they can look it up without leaving their desk. Seems like the answer to every problem is a database these days.

Last Modified By Bellie at 10 Feb 2009 - 5:11 PM
webjam
webjam  9292 forum posts Netherlands11 Constructive Critique Points
10 Feb 2009 - 8:26 PM

I am always wondering, with things like these, who is going to pick up the bill for this paranoia? Probably the well-behaving average working man/woman who has nothing to do with any crime...

Britman
Britman  81669 forum posts England
10 Feb 2009 - 8:29 PM

Quote: I am always wondering, with things like these, who is going to pick up the bill for this paranoia? Probably the well-behaving average working man/woman who has nothing to do with any crime...

So why do they need to be tracked?

StrayCat
StrayCat  1014407 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
10 Feb 2009 - 9:17 PM

The only part that bothers me is the hassle added to traveling, which can be a terrible experience on its own. I'm all for tracking down the terrorists whatever it takes, but even though I have free travel privileges for my wife and I anywhere in the world, it's too much of a hassle; haven't traveled since retiring over 5 years ago, and don't intend to. I can't think of any place I'd want to visit, really.

Bellie
Bellie  7507 forum posts
11 Feb 2009 - 9:38 AM

Quote: So why do they need to be tracked?

I think logged is a better phrase, as the information is stored. The likes of Fred and Mildred going to Benidorm will never be of interest. But imagine you could have a system that flags up particular routes that have been used in the past for 'certain' people in this country to go abroad to 'certain' known areas for training etc. If it highlights when this is happening it might just help stop events that have happened in the past.

When information has come to light 'post' events, people have kicked up such a fuss as to why nothing was done... well perhaps this is one response.

.... and like I said before, the likes of you and me going on our hols will be of no interest whatsoever. So you can have your big brother theories if you like, but I don't buy it.

Bellie
Bellie  7507 forum posts
11 Feb 2009 - 9:40 AM

Quote: The only part that bothers me is the hassle added to traveling

I would think putting it into practice is easy, your passport is already checked at the airport. It is just that the new legislation will allow for the details to be stored on a computer.

Last Modified By Bellie at 11 Feb 2009 - 9:41 AM
joolsb
joolsb  927115 forum posts Switzerland38 Constructive Critique Points
11 Feb 2009 - 9:43 AM

Quote: But imagine you could have a system that flags up particular routes that have been used in the past for 'certain' people in this country to go abroad to 'certain' known areas for training etc.

Except that won't really work. Any terrorist would have a number of fake identities and then would only need to travel as far as, say, France before buying another ticket to somewhere dodgy. Like most of these measures, it looks good whilst achieving very little other than eroding what few civil liberties are left.

Last Modified By joolsb at 11 Feb 2009 - 9:44 AM
Bellie
Bellie  7507 forum posts
11 Feb 2009 - 9:46 AM

Not quite sure about that. The fake passport still has to be used by that person, so can be tracked surely... and the 7/7 bombers didn't use fake passports. Hopefully too with biometric passports it is going to make things harder to get around.

Last Modified By Bellie at 11 Feb 2009 - 9:48 AM
gcarth
gcarth e2 Member 102239 forum postsgcarth vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
11 Feb 2009 - 11:29 AM

Quote: Hopefully too with biometric passports it is going to make things harder to get around.

Should we really simply 'hope' that biometric passports will 'make things harder to get around'?
I would remind all those complacent folk out there that biometric passport technology has already been hacked into by an expert so it is decidedly not foolproof.

Garth

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139385 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
11 Feb 2009 - 11:55 AM

More and more people are waking up to the realisation that "anti-terrorist" legislation (etc) is not actually aimed at terrorists........ Wink

Bellie
Bellie  7507 forum posts
11 Feb 2009 - 12:19 PM

Slightly off topic but some good terror info here Wink

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.