Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Trading eos 5d mk 2 for 70d is it a mistake?

21 Apr 2014 11:54AM
Hi everyone. I am trying to reduce the weight of my canon 5d mk2 and L series lenses for travel and also use an all in one lens instead of changing lenses so often. I just wanted some second opinions on doing this. I don't really take portraits or weddings but like landscape/travel wildlife and transport photography. Do you think I would regret getting rid of the 5D or reap the benefit of lighter and faster kit with less lens changing? All input gratefully received.
Keith

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

21 Apr 2014 12:21PM
Why don't you get one 'all in one' lens for your 5D?
rogerfry e2
9 525 United Kingdom
21 Apr 2014 12:36PM
From a wildlife point of view it's probably a good move...better and quicker focussing, and a faster frame rate....also the 1.6 crop sensor will get you closer to your subject.
From a landscape point of view not so good....your wide angle lenses won't be so wide...your 24-105 will only give you the equivalent view of a 38mm lens on the 5D.
21 Apr 2014 12:43PM
Thanks folks

All in one lens for 5D would be in excess of 2000 and would be very heavy. I had thought of 28-300 L

Wide angle I was thinking of 10-22 or keep 17-40 but prob the former

Keith
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
21 Apr 2014 5:22PM
Leave that big hefty camera at home and take a compact.
bainsybike 5 276
21 Apr 2014 8:35PM
Not sure what you have in mind for an all in one lens for crop sensor, but if you're thinking of something in the 18-250 sort of range, I think you'll be disappointed by the IQ at the long end. 15-85 is very good though, and the latest incarnation of the 18-135 gets good reviews. One of those plus a Rebel body shouldn't break the bank, so maybe you can hang on to your 5D as well and get the best of both worlds. Or you can go even more compact and get an M - that plus the 11-22M is a great wide angle combo.
Dave_Canon 8 940 United Kingdom
21 Apr 2014 10:28PM
I have a 5D2 and a few lenses including a 70-200mm f2.8L IS which weighs 1.5 Kg. Weight has become a problem for me which I have had to solve in various ways. Tomorrow I am going on a photoshoot but will be able to take my roller camera case which will take the 5D2, four lenses, 1.4x Extender,Tablet, spare cards & batteries and a few other items. At other times I just take the 5D2 and my 24-105mm only. If I expect to take architecture, I will add the 12-24mm. I often leave the 70-200mm at home now. Last year I bought a bridge camera Panasonic Lumix FZ200 which is excellent and very useful when I do not want much weight at all. I sometimes may be out with my wife (not on a Photoshoot) so it is still useful to have a camera rather than none.

The only warning is that on a few occasions I had both sets of kit and used both. While it looked OK at the time, when I processed the FZ200 images they are very inferior quality to the 5D2 which should not be much of a surprise as the sensor on the 5D2 is 30 times larger. So I would advise that you manage your kit by minimising what you take out and make sure you have the most suitable case for the task (a roller is OK on flat surface but not much use in a forest). Consider whether a smaller compact type camera might not meet some of your requirements in addition to the 5D2.

Dave
brian1208 e2
11 10.6k 12 United Kingdom
22 Apr 2014 6:55AM
Keith, I was faced with this problem a few years back when after a week photo holiday with my 5Dmk2 and a back pack full of L lenses I was put out of action for a while with neck, back and shoulder problems from carting all that weight about.

After much agonising (physical and mental Smile ) I ended up selling my 60D and a couple of the shorter L lenses and went for the EM-5, keeping the 5Dmk2 + 70-300 LIS for my birding and action work

After about 6 months I realised that the canon gear was never coming out of the cupboard so sold it and went over completely to Olympus

It worked for me and I can now carry my entire system of EM-1 + lenses from 9-18 to 75-300 (equivalent to 18-36mm to 150-600mm fov) in my Nova pro 180 shoulder bag and have minimal problems after a full day of hand-held shooting

May be worth hiring the EM-1 + 12-40 f2.8 and 75-300 for a week to see how you get on with it?
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
22 Apr 2014 8:12AM
Although the 70D is not particularly smaller than the 5D2 it does give you the option of the excellent Tamron 18-270 and you could add the Sigma 10-22 if wide angle landscapes are your thing.
Are you printing a lot of your images large or cropping heavily - you could miss the 5D2 in prints above about 20"
Are you doing a lot of shadow/low-light recovery - the 5D2 would again be superior
How much these differences matter to you is only for you to decide.

Given the above caveats, I would go with either Dave's choice of consciously limiting the gear you carry around or Brian's choice of switching to micro four-thirds. One review I read showed sample images from the E-M5 and the 5D2 and they were pretty close - if anything the E-M5 had slightly better shadow recovery in low light.
Filmphoto 2 11 United Kingdom
24 Apr 2014 10:04AM
I would keep the 5D and go for some variation of compact/four-thirds add-on for easy carrying.

Weight for weight I wouldn't think the difference would be that great. You've got a slightly lighter camera and only 1 lens, but by the time it is in a bag with accessories I don't know if you are going to be winning that much.

Consider a different strap? I use a hip-strap (the spyder) and that seriously reduces the weight on the shoulders and neck and is absolutely brilliant.

I think whatever you would miss the quality of the 5D in comparison to alternatives....

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.