Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Tragic...

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

jondf
jondf  72474 forum posts
7 Dec 2012 - 3:49 PM

A nurse trying to do her job, doubtless under pressure, becomes the victim of a heartless prank -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20645838

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
7 Dec 2012 - 3:49 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Scutter
Scutter e2 Member 61742 forum postsScutter vcard United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
7 Dec 2012 - 3:53 PM

How awful; I hope the DJ's feel ashamed of the unintended consequence of their hoax................

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110165 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
7 Dec 2012 - 3:54 PM

I just spotted that, without knowing the whole story one's mind fills in a few gaps but it seems tragic whatever outcome

(wait for the conspiracy theorist to get hold of this - they will have a field day )

Scutter
Scutter e2 Member 61742 forum postsScutter vcard United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
7 Dec 2012 - 3:57 PM

agreed Brain, we don't know the whole story but I'm afraid I leapt to the same conclusion as the BBC!

paulcookphotography

It is tragic, but i dont agree the prank was 'heartless'. It certainly backfired, and didnt go as expected, but i am sure nobody ever intended for this to happen.

I think the training of the nurses has to be questioned too though, if they are making simple mistakes such as revealing patient details over the phone. The poor woman made an error and unfortunately it seems she could not cope with that. It was a prank in this case, but what if it was a reporter calling?

jondf
jondf  72474 forum posts
7 Dec 2012 - 4:03 PM

Perhaps frivolous would have been a better word. It's likely the pranksters had a good laugh before, during and after their little ruse. They'll not be laughing now.

KarenFB
KarenFB Junior Gallery Team 84253 forum postsKarenFB vcard England162 Constructive Critique Points
7 Dec 2012 - 4:12 PM

How awful!!

Though I read:-

Quote: BBC royal correspondent Peter Hunt said he understood Mrs Saldanha was the person who answered the call from the Australian DJs and was not the nurse who discussed the duchess's medical condition.

So, from that I gather she passed the DJ's onto someone else, who gave the medical details - if this is the case, why had she blamed herself!?!

Louise_Morris
Louise_Morris e2 Member 42289 forum postsLouise_Morris vcard England
7 Dec 2012 - 4:35 PM

I have just heard this on the Radio news - terribly sad.

Quote: How awful; I hope the DJ's feel ashamed of the unintended consequence of their hoax................

I agree with Scutter on this one.

sparrowhawk
sparrowhawk e2 Member 5267 forum postssparrowhawk vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
7 Dec 2012 - 6:08 PM

words fail me how sad !!

Big Bri
Big Bri  1315548 forum posts England
7 Dec 2012 - 6:24 PM

Quote: So, from that I gather she passed the DJ's onto someone else, who gave the medical details - if this is the case, why had she blamed herself!?!

Presumably because she passed the call to the nurse and said "It's the Queen". If you were the nurse, what would you have done?

KarenFB
KarenFB Junior Gallery Team 84253 forum postsKarenFB vcard England162 Constructive Critique Points
7 Dec 2012 - 6:39 PM

I don't blame her for passing on the call, but I feel more could have been done to support her - she must have been in such a desperate state to take her own life.

I understand from tonight's news that the phone call can still be heard on the radio's web site - the least the radio station could do is take it down, yet nothing has been heard from them!

saltireblue
saltireblue Site Moderator 43598 forum postssaltireblue vcard Norway23 Constructive Critique Points
7 Dec 2012 - 6:53 PM

I can't believe this one isolated incident would be enough to make someone take their own life. This must have been the preverbial straw that boke the camel's back...she must have had other deep-lying problems, and this merely tipped her over the edge.

Malc

StrayCat
StrayCat  1014441 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
7 Dec 2012 - 6:56 PM

It's possible it triggered something in her that had been lurking just below the surface. The members of her profession are special people who daily deal with levels of stress that the average person will never encounter. It's sad, but being regular jerks is a way of life for many people. It's just another part of the world we live in, anything goes.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314893 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
7 Dec 2012 - 7:26 PM

Quote: It's possible it triggered something in her that had been lurking just below the surface

That one event on its own would be more than enough.

I absolutely hate the media.

KarenFB
7 Dec 2012 - 7:53 PM

Quote: I absolutely hate the media.

Totally agree with you!! Law unto themselves with no consideration or compassion for others.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.