Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Tragic...

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

tomcat
tomcat e2 Member 85907 forum poststomcat vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
7 Dec 2012 - 8:23 PM

Though highly unlikely, it is possible that the two events(I know one is very sad), are totally unconnected

I reserve judgement, until the full facts are revealed

Last Modified By tomcat at 7 Dec 2012 - 8:24 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
7 Dec 2012 - 8:23 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

wasper
wasper e2 Member 8532 forum postswasper vcard Ireland1 Constructive Critique Points
7 Dec 2012 - 9:26 PM

Quote: It is tragic, but i dont agree the prank was 'heartless'. It certainly backfired, and didnt go as expected, but i am sure nobody ever intended for this to happen.

I think the training of the nurses has to be questioned too though, if they are making simple mistakes such as revealing patient details over the phone. The poor woman made an error and unfortunately it seems she could not cope with that. It was a prank in this case, but what if it was a reporter calling?

My sentiment too.

scrimmy
scrimmy e2 Member 5365 forum postsscrimmy vcard Scotland5 Constructive Critique Points
7 Dec 2012 - 9:40 PM

Quote: I think the training of the nurses has to be questioned too though

I much rather nurses are trained in medicine rather than how to answer the phone

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315157 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
7 Dec 2012 - 9:52 PM

Quote: I think the training of the nurses has to be questioned too though, if they are making simple mistakes such as revealing patient details over the phone. The poor woman made an error and unfortunately it seems she could not cope with that. It was a prank in this case, but what if it was a reporter calling?

If it had been a reporter calling the chances are he would not of got any information, nurses are trained in nursing not security but there not stupid, what if it really had been the Queen and she refused to take the call.

Dammed if you do, dammed if you don`t Sad

StrayCat
StrayCat e2 Member 1014639 forum postsStrayCat vcard Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
7 Dec 2012 - 10:13 PM

I take all calls, just in case it's the Queen, one never knows.Wink

tpfkapm
tpfkapm  3142 forum posts United Kingdom
7 Dec 2012 - 10:34 PM

Bottom line is you do not give info over the phone. But what a waste to terminate yourself I've an indescretion. Journalist try this all the time

tpfkapm
tpfkapm  3142 forum posts United Kingdom
7 Dec 2012 - 10:34 PM

Over an indescretion

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315157 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
7 Dec 2012 - 10:44 PM

Quote: Bottom line is you do not give info over the phone. But what a waste to terminate yourself I've an indescretion. Journalist try this all the time

The bottom line is, she didn`t, all she gave was general info.

dcash29
dcash29  81904 forum posts England
8 Dec 2012 - 9:21 AM

Was the hospital really backing her?

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64345 forum postsSlowSong vcard England28 Constructive Critique Points
8 Dec 2012 - 10:32 AM

I feel she must have had some other problems in her life. Putting through a phone call is such a small thing to get so distraught about. Her poor kids.

saltireblue
saltireblue Site Moderator 43819 forum postssaltireblue vcard Norway23 Constructive Critique Points
8 Dec 2012 - 2:30 PM

Quote: I feel she must have had some other problems in her life. Putting through a phone call is such a small thing to get so distraught about. Her poor kids.

Exactly.

mdpontin
mdpontin  106016 forum posts Scotland
8 Dec 2012 - 3:16 PM

People handle (or fail to handle) things in different ways. What may seem like a trivial mistake to one person looms large as a catastrophe to another. I know that I mentally beat myself up severely when a screw-up of mine affects other people. And yes, seemingly little things can also be the proverbial straw that breaks the camel's back.

Last Modified By mdpontin at 8 Dec 2012 - 3:18 PM
jondf
jondf  82475 forum posts
8 Dec 2012 - 3:22 PM

Quote: I feel she must have had some other problems in her life. Putting through a phone call is such a small thing to get so distraught about. Her poor kids.

Oh well, I expect those that peddle tactics of shock (media, alternative comedians etc.) will see the whole thing as fair game. They'll deal in trivia, hysteria and lies to get your attention and thereby boost sales/ratings figures. It may be that this poor lady did have other pressing problems but to undermine and trivialise her professional position in this way was a horrible invasion of her environment and the job she was trying to do. The perpetrators have been offered counselling apparently. How immaterial is that in comparison to what this poor woman's family now have to come to terms with?

mdpontin
mdpontin  106016 forum posts Scotland
8 Dec 2012 - 3:29 PM

Bear in mind too that the recording of the hoax was still available to the public even after the rather half-hearted apologies from the radio station and the presenters who perpetrated the hoax. In this Telegraph article, it states that the nurse was "in her own words, “a very nervous person” and friends said she would have been “hit badly” by the prank, which would have “played on her mind”." Knowing that what she probably felt was a hugely humiliating mistake was still being aired over and over again , globally, could only have made it harder for her to cope with. Add to that, the "apology" may have made things worse, stating as it did "...we were very surprised that our call was put through, we thought we’d be hung up on as soon as they heard our terrible accents." To me, that reads like "it's not our fault, we knew it was a prank and so should everybody else".

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64345 forum postsSlowSong vcard England28 Constructive Critique Points
8 Dec 2012 - 5:37 PM

Well I still think she must have been under some other stresses. After all, all she did was put a prank call through to another nurse, without even commenting on anything herself. I can imagine her feeling humiliated etc. but how can that be so awful to bear compared with leaving your children motherless?

I do think the aussies were crass and stupid but the consequence does seem to be totally unfathomable. I'm not judging. Just saying how I see it. But none of us know the whole circumstances so there's no point in conjecture. What's done is done. Let's hope people think about their actions a bit more in future.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.