Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Tragic...

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1214381 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
10 Dec 2012 - 5:54 PM

Quote: Reminds me of some of the stuff that pratt Noel Edmunds used to do until one guy got killed in some race track prank

I go my own back on a tv prankster once, I got asked if the next train stopped at Reading, I said yes it does, it was a none stop service to Paddington Smile Smile

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
10 Dec 2012 - 5:54 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

keithh
keithh  1022556 forum posts Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
10 Dec 2012 - 7:08 PM

I just rang the radio station and pretended to be The Queen. They rang me back and pretended to be Scotland Yard. Their impression was very good.

mikehit
mikehit e2 Member 45758 forum postsmikehit vcard United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
10 Dec 2012 - 8:22 PM

Quote: they need firing and sueing ...They certainly did not intend the consequences but it happened.

I'm clearly out of step with a lot of people on this, but I don't understand why someone has to be to 'blame' . If they had set out to humiliate and demean someone then I would have more sympathy with that view, but that was not the intention here - and if suicide was anywhere near on the horizon then again let them take the consequences. If anyone was open to ridicule it was the nurse who gave out the personal 'details' not the one who merely picked up the phone. They should not be sacked because running this sort of show is what the station wants. What about the hospital - you have a member of the royal family in the ward and there is no-one there to act as a gatekeeper to field all calls and visitors? Ludicrous.

paulcookphotography

Totally agree with you Mike.

The victims in this are her children and family. It is a tragedy that she chose to take her own life, but harsh as it may sound, that was her decision alone, and not the responsibilty of a radio station and its DJs. We dont know much about her life other than she had been staying in the nursing block while living away from her home and family, so we can only speculate as to how her mental health was prior to the prank, and since she hadnt actually done anything wrong in answering a call and passing it on, she had no guilt to carry. Perhaps if there had been a receptionist on duty, nursing staff wouldnt be having to answer calls. Maybe all calls should have gone through to some sort of Royal official. Who knows?

I have sympathy for her family, obviously, but i also feel bad for the DJs. None of this was their intention. Not the suicide, nor the reaction and 'statement' given out by the other nurse. They werent digging for info like the press do, they were messing around like a million and one other folk do with pranks on radio and TV. They were simply doing their jobs and unfortunately it got out of control for reasons unknown. Much like the nurses in this instance

StrayCat
StrayCat  1014199 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
10 Dec 2012 - 8:42 PM

Having had the time to think about this for awhile, I'm in agreement with Mike. People do all sorts of stuff to make a living, and we're not going to agree with it all. At first I thought of this in the same vein as photographing celebrities in their privacy, but I don't see it like that at all now. I remember when Arnold Schwarzenager was elected Governor of California, a DJ on a radio station in Edmonton, Alberta called and claimed he was the President. Arnold accepted the call, and had a conversation with the DJ. I thought it was funny at the time.

The lesson in this case is that we need to be sensitive to the feelings of others; one never knows what's going on in the life of another person, and it should only be natural to us to consider what's appropriate, and what's not, when dealing with anybody. I don't do it, but I know I should. I have known personally many people who have taken their own lives, and virtually none of them was foreseeable.

hobbs
hobbs  101222 forum posts United Kingdom
10 Dec 2012 - 9:26 PM

As far as I can see no real thought was put into the potential consequences of this prank, the poor nurses death couldn't of been predicted and the two DJ's appear to be very sorry for this. The fact is though the DJ's and radio station could of predicted that their actions could have cost the nurses their jobs in getting them to talk about patients with non family members, but they seemed to think that the publicity was more important. What they did was potentially an offence under the data protection act as it bars anyone form obtaining or disclosing confidential records.

I feel very sorry for the nurses family.

jondf
jondf  72470 forum posts
10 Dec 2012 - 9:31 PM

Whatever folk might think or feel about this unfortunate occurrence, it seems unlikely that the two DJs will return to a national radio station in the same role, if at all. Unlike Mrs Saldanha, their lives will continue but with guilt and remorse dogging them for the rest of their days. I'm hazarding a guess that they'll awake each and every morning thinking first of the tragic result of their actions. I guess that now might be the time for forgiveness. It was a foolish prank but, as others on here have said, they couldn't have foreseen the tragic consequences.

mattw
mattw  105189 forum posts United Kingdom10 Constructive Critique Points
10 Dec 2012 - 9:32 PM

Last time I looked, making a prank call was not against the law.

There is a lot we don't know about this event at present - we don't know if there was a letter or if she told anyone why she took her own life. We don't know if there were any other potential causes, we don't know if there were any mental health issues and if she was given any support. Living in the UK, I have not heard the prank call in full.

So while I find this story really very tragic, I don't see how we can cast blame just yet.

pranking is not always bad...

hobbs
hobbs  101222 forum posts United Kingdom
10 Dec 2012 - 9:50 PM

A prank call isn't against the law, but in asking for information on a patients condition which is regarded as part of a confidential record they might actually of broken the law Guardian Article with reference to data protection act..

Last Modified By hobbs at 10 Dec 2012 - 9:50 PM
paulcookphotography

Quote: A prank call isn't against the law, but in asking for information on a patients condition which is regarded as part of a confidential record they might actually of broken the law

Just as the nurse who gave the statement broke a code of practice in releasing confidential and private information. Doesnt matter if the patient is a member of the royal family or joe bloggs down the road.

Swings and roundabouts?

mikehit
mikehit e2 Member 45758 forum postsmikehit vcard United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
10 Dec 2012 - 10:11 PM

Quote: A prank call isn't against the law, but in asking for information on a patients condition which is regarded as part of a confidential record they might actually of broken the law Guardian Article with reference to data protection act..

That link is so tenuous as to be laughable - lawyers play 'what if' all the time and usually the answer is that there is no case and to me that falls in this same bracket. I guess it would hinge on the interpretation of 'obtaining' - for example someone with access to the information abuses that privelege to download/copy it. Or someone who asks for it and is given it by someone who should know better.

gareth01422
10 Dec 2012 - 10:25 PM

Sorry but I don't believe this for one second.

Facts, The Nurse in question was a mother of 2 right?

So you ask a mother to put herself in that position, She has just given out personal information about a member of the royal family. Even though your pretty screwed in the fact you wont work again, especially as a nurse. Do you commit suicide and leave your 2 kids behind.

As a parent, I couldn't and Ive been close in the past.

But then again, that's just my opinion.......

mattw
mattw  105189 forum posts United Kingdom10 Constructive Critique Points
10 Dec 2012 - 10:32 PM

Quote:
So you ask a mother to put herself in that position, She has just given out personal information about a member of the royal family. Even though your pretty screwed in the fact you wont work again, especially as a nurse. Do you commit suicide and leave your 2 kids behind.

The nurse in question did not give out any sensitive information.

I'm sure there is a lot of information on this story which is not in the public domain, because the facts as they are right now don't make a whole lot of sense.

paulcookphotography

Quote:
Facts, The Nurse in question was a mother of 2 right?

She was a mother, yes, but she wasnt the nurse who gave out information. She passed the call onto another nurse after initially answering.

A transcript of the call/show can be seen Here

gareth01422
10 Dec 2012 - 10:38 PM

ok, before I make more of a tool of myself I am going to read the transcript. then i will comment.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.